digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

EU wants to limit the internet - You gptta be shitting me.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Media
Token Nazi?
Zelnor

HP: 10 MP: 7 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:06 pm   Reply with quote

Quote:
The Internet as we know it is at risk because of proposed new EU rules going through end of April. Under the proposed new rules, broadband providers will be legally able to limit the number of websites you can look at, and to tell you whether or not you are allowed to use particular services. It will be dressed up as ‘new consumer options’ which people can choose from. People will be offered TV-like packages - with a limited number of options for you to access.

It means that the Internet will be packaged up and your ability to access and to put up content could be severely restricted. It almost certainly means an end to free sharing online. It will create boxes of Internet accessibility, which don’t fit with the way we use it today. This is because Internet is now permiting exchanges between persons that cannot be controled or "facilitate" by any middlemen (the state or a corporation) and this improve the citizen life but force the industry to loose power and control. That's why they are forcing government to act those changes.

The excuse is to control the flow of music, films and entertainment content against the alleged piracy by downloading for free, using P2P file-sharing. However, the real victims of this plan will be all Internet users and the democratic and independent access to information, culture and goods.

http://www.blackouteurope.eu/act/why-act.html

No, seriously. Our lovely politicians and the friendly lobbyists wat to make the internet similar to TV channel packages. My guess is that everyone will then have to buy the "ultimate" package just to NOT have a giant ISP nanny saying "MORE MONEY DIPSHIT".

Same internet, double the price, likely.

If this gets through, then there won't just be bricks to shit.

It's nice to see how up-to-date people are on these newfangled things like, oh, I dunno, FREEDOM OF SPEECH and FREEDOM OF CONGREGATION or FREEDOM OF INFORMATION and FREEDOM OF EDUCATION.
They've just been in just about every constitution and the UN Declaration of Human Rights, and who cares about those ?

Three words: Unleash Nerd Fury.

EDIT: Yaaay:

Quote:
It is happening because the big media empires are struggling against the Internet - and they are fighting back! They think that if they restrict Internet access, they can turn back the clock to an era of mass entertainment and rich advertising revenues. The world will return to a place of local communities - and not a global connected market, where not only rich multinational have their chance.

I never guessed that piracy would come back to bite me in the ass THAT quickly.

Discuss.
Actions
Searchlight was used on this post.
Twilit Mall: Zelnor Mart    
Megamaw
Vampire

HP: 5 MP: 7 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:35 pm   Reply with quote

Knick-Knack Shack    
Hellza Ballza
Goron Mask
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:10 pm   Reply with quote

Not gonna happen, they've been saying shit like this was gonna go down for years now, there not going to go through with it.
Some store that sells shit    
cool
Lord Bob
Vampire

HP: 61 MP: 8 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:16 pm   Reply with quote

It's happened before in the U.S., or at least something similar. There was a law that said that certain materials couldn't be used on the internet. It got taken down lulz
But in all honesty, if this shit goes through, there'll be another black day during which everyone turns their site's background black.
NON BANNER    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:29 pm   Reply with quote

This is an impossibility to itself. First of all, the package would require constant updating, and by constant, I mean literally around-the-clock.

Second of all, there is no bright line for what would fall under where. Digi itself is an example. Just from looks, these people might toss it under "Gaming", but it's really more under "Random shit" than anything else.
The Town of Lix    
Parabuzzy Queen
Macha

HP: 10 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:46 pm   Reply with quote

What the *crag*.

They CAN'T pass this. No way no how.

Dipshits.
Buzzy Mart    
Token Nazi?
Zelnor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:20 am   Reply with quote

Oh by the way it's only in Europe.

Inb4everyoneleaves.
Flavio
Vampire

HP: 4 MP: 7 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:27 am   Reply with quote

Zelnor wrote:

Inb4everyoneleaves.

Theyshould have known that already, it says that in the title and also the link you provided.
R!T!E!M! A store of pure win    
cool
Lord Bob
Vampire

HP: 61 MP: 8 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:19 am   Reply with quote

Zelnor wrote:

Inb4everyoneleaves.
Still, it was tried in the U.S. and it failed due to the difference in acceptability in communities.
NON BANNER    
Sync
MALAK

HP: 10 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:49 am   Reply with quote

Zelnor wrote:

Inb4everyoneleaves.
Then chances are it wont work. :O
Hammerspace    
Token Nazi?
Zelnor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:57 am   Reply with quote

If I disappear one day, rawrskey has found me and has done various unpleasant things involving rubber objects to me It's the law'S fault.

NEVER FORGET MEEEEE-*erased from existence*
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:06 pm   Reply with quote

I get dibs on Zelnor's chair.
The Town of Lix    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Media