digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Confession: I dont care about Pokemon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:49 am   Reply with quote

I keep reading articles and forum posts about the new DS Pokemon game, and how everyone is soooo excited. Am I the only one who doesn't care? It just seems so boring, and has everything about RPGs that I don't like (random battles, grinding to level up, fighting with menus), and nothing that I do like (good story, interesting weapons/lands/creatures, exploration)

Its the only Nintendo franchise that I have no interest in. Someone please clue me into that which is Pokemania, cause I want to like it, I really do.
Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
Mister I
Almaz

HP: 43 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:47 am   Reply with quote

Agreed. It's exactly the same thing for me and the Legend of Zelda series. The thing that Pokemon has, though, is replayability. After your first trip through the Pokemon world, you'll either never want to do it again, or just keep playing until you're sick of the stuff. With over 400-something species of the Pocket Monsters, there's lots of room for improvement and customization with attacks. Since, hypathetically, you can have over 1000000 different outcomes for a team of 6 Pokemon with specific attacks. And THAT is what gets people hooked in Pokemania.

However, I haven't really liked any Pokemon games since the original. And all Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald versions were were vehicles promoting the current season of the anime and the Pokemon movies. Why can't we just go to the original series, where everything was pure and fun, instead of all these unnecessary add-ons? Berries and Pokemon Contests are unnecessary and purely uninteresting. I'm not really sure if I'll hop on the Pokemon bandwagon this version. Sad

Oh, and they edited the menues so you can stop fighting with them.
Temple of I    
Flavio Twitch Boobs
Super Hario

HP: 10 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:49 pm   Reply with quote

I really like the customization of Pokemon. It's just making the best team I can that keeps me playing. I also agree with Mister I, I thought that the first generation of Pokemon was the best.
The Little Shop of Hario    
Goomba
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 1 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:07 pm   Reply with quote

Francis wrote:
I keep reading articles and forum posts about the new DS Pokemon game, and how everyone is soooo excited. Am I the only one who doesn't care? It just seems so boring, and has everything about RPGs that I don't like (random battles, grinding to level up, fighting with menus), and nothing that I do like (good story, interesting weapons/lands/creatures, exploration)

Its the only Nintendo franchise that I have no interest in. Someone please clue me into that which is Pokemania, cause I want to like it, I really do.
Don't drop your glasses, I hate that series too. I hadn't actually owned Blue, Red, Green, or Yellow, but I had Gold. Gold was OK. It was when they actually changed the names to an ENGLISH version. It was decent, but not to "amazing". After I caught 200 and some other number of pokemen and beat red, It lost It's spark. Then they were like "WOO! NOW YOU CAN BE THE POKEMON!!!!1111!1!1" It was long then that I decided, Pokemon is stupid. They even stopped translating the names, now it was like "♫4╒►╠ª─ÜÆÜc-"ô╔ uses water!

If you were lazy to read that here it is, Pokemon gets dumber every game and every new batch of Pokemon.
Goomba's Goombalicious Goods    
Fleep
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:30 pm   Reply with quote

If that's how you feel, then I'm not showing you my Pokeymans.

Evan
Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:30 pm   Reply with quote

Each to his own, I suppose! I like how open-ended Pokemon is, and how much there simply is to do. Even just running around and exploring every nook and cranny can be fun. It's creative, I suppose, and appeals to the avid collector in me. It's also got a very unique battle system--simple enough for children but it has a surprising amount of intricacy when you dig into the depths of it.

Marino Mario
Vampire

HP: 84 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:51 pm   Reply with quote

I'm a technical geek myself, but I love mainly not only the customization of the team, but also comparing stats, calculating the natures and attributes to create the best possible team.

Of course, a problem is the factor that most of the raising of the stats and particular movesets is mainly due to either breeding (which is time consuming and a LOT of work) or, depending on the Pokemon you want to find, catch, and raise, just SHEER DUMB LUCK (such as contacting the PokeRus--a beneficial virus that enables yours stats to climb twice as fast as before...or catching a "Shiny"/Alternate Color Pokemon, in which there's about in a 1 in over 8000 chance of happening)...which can turn you off.

Exploration (at first) as well as just plain seeing the new Pokemon released. Although, I WILL admit...some of them are just plain stupid, and the names are either extremely punny, or nigh-impossible to pronounce (I blame Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald for that...)

That, and the dumb spin-offs...and the equally dumb (in my opinion) card game...

But, I've been hooked on Pokemon ever since the show and Red/Blue. To be truly honest, I really have no idea WHAT attracts me to the damn series. >XD But, you know what? I don't care.

Django
Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:54 pm   Reply with quote

R/B/Y were pretty awesome games, in my opinion. I must'v ebeaten them thousands of times over. G/S/C were also pretty good. Then the GBA games just took the series so many steps backwards. I've heard the new games are pretty good, but I'm a bit skeptical, I may or may not pick up a copy.

Regardless of how bad the anime was, or how the merchandise went too far, or how nobody actually played the card game, the original games were always good.

Personally, I loved playing around with every single glitch in Red, and further messing with the cartridge using a GameShark. My Game Boy bleeds hexadecimal.

Shroopliss
Vampire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:49 pm   Reply with quote

Well, there's not much to add to Pokémon games without ruining them...

though someone suggested something awesome; a full-scale war between all the villain teams so far in which a trail of destruction is left in their wake...

Rawk Hawk
Vampire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:02 pm   Reply with quote

Rawk Hawk isn't interested in the Pokemanz either.

(Red and Blue were good, and so was Gold and Silver but I lost interest afterwards)

Thudley
Vampire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:50 pm   Reply with quote

Rawk Hawk wrote:

(Red and Blue were good, and so was Gold and Silver but I lost interest afterwards)

My Aerodactyl is named after you.

It has nearly perfect IV's too, I think it is because of the name.

Rawk Hawk
Vampire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:47 pm   Reply with quote

Thudley wrote:
Rawk Hawk wrote:

My Aerodactyl is named after you.

It has nearly perfect IV's too, I think it is because of the name.

RAWK ON! The Rawks name is truly of legendary proportions!

Digi's official furry
Lord Rattata

HP: 84 MP: 3 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:29 pm   Reply with quote

No. way. I can't believe Francis doesn't care about pokemon.
I thought you collected everything?
Wolf Cheap Wares    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming