digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Dungeons & Dragons

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming

Have you ever played D&D 3.5.
Yes, I play it al the time.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I have the player's handbook, but no one to play it with.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
I've played one of the earlier editions but not 3.5.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
I actually DM a game every once in awhile.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nope, but I wouldn't mind trying it out.
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
I've never played D&D but I've played a game like it.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
I like to beat up nerds that play that game.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A game with magic and dragons and demons? That's blasphemy!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A game with fire-breathing turtles and mushrooms that make you grow and everything has eyes? That's blasphemy too!
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Current form: Normal
Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 38 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:16 pm   Reply with quote

There's gotta be at least one person here who is enough of a nerr to have tried playing D&D before.
Shop #42    
Current form: Normal
Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 38 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:05 am   Reply with quote

(I'm guessing this would be considered to be gaming related, but feel free to move it if you don't think so Francis)

The reason I put up this poll is simple. I plan on GMing a play by post game of Mario D20 in the RP forum. Mario D20 is a game based on Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 edition, and requires the Player's Handbook for that game for most of the rules. The rest of the rules are supposed to be able to be found on this website, but it is currently down. From what he's said on the Wizards of the Coast forums, it seems that it's simply that the server is down for an unnamed amount of time. When it comes back up though, I am going into our RP forum, and starting a topic for a Mario D20 version of the Glitz Pit.

You may be wondering why I would just end up making a Mario D20 version of the Glitz Pit. The reasons are rather simple.
1. It would give people a chance to compare the way structured roleplay compares to freeform. As each will have it's own strengths and weaknesses, there will be people that will still want to compete in the original, the Mario D20 version, or both.
2. I'm still rather new to GMing, and combat seems to use the more rules than most of the other stuff. I may branch off from the Glitz Pit battles eventually though.
3. I feel like it.
4. I can focus more on learning the rules of the game than plot.
5. It seems like something that will be easier to use for introducing new players to the game. The noobiest of players should be able to understand the concept of "hit the monster, and it gets hurt or dies", but some of them may have trouble with concepts such as "marching order", "listen/spot/search checks", "carrying capacity", and other things that will be important in games that draw focus away from battle.

In the case of new players who don't even have a copy of the 3.5 edition of the D&D Player's Handbook, I may even be willing to make a few simple nonspellcasting characters for the eager newbie to use.

Of course, I intend to keep any plots and characters in it seperate from the plots and characters in the freeform RP. So you won't be able to bring that ultra-powerful character that you usually RP as into Mario D20, but you may be able to make a character that could reach that level of power after enough time.

So what do you think of my idea of bringing Mario D20 to these forums? I want you to be honest. I also want you to know that I take brutal honesty the same way that Homer Simpson takes group criticism in the episode of the Simpsons where he joins a cult.
Shop #42    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:59 pm   Reply with quote

I used t play DnD with some of my Internet friends, but we stopped when our dungeon master quit, see?
Popple's Secret Hideout    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming