digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

And thus, the PC/console market was turned upside down.
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews
Cid
Lord Krump

HP: 60 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:17 am   Reply with quote

http://kotaku.com/5181625/see-onlive-in-action

Thoughts on this exciting, potentially awesome new service?
The Highwind Goods Store    
Super ShadowArticuno

HP: 99 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:27 am   Reply with quote

I'm hoping that you can hold on to games after OnLive cancels them from their selection service, but other than that, it seems cool.

A little too good to be true, but cool.
A Bucket of Stuff    
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:03 pm   Reply with quote

Awesome. I have seen this kind of technology used for smaller scale things, like virtual web browsers. But to host thousands of games would take a huge amount of server resources. I will be impressed if they can pull it off.

More info:
http://venturebeat.com/2009/03/23/steve-perlmans-onlive-could-turn-the-video-game-world-upside-down/

Quote:
To use OnLive, all you need is a broadband connection running at two megabits a second for standard graphics or five megabits a second for high-definition graphics. Those data rates are well within the speeds of most broadband connections. (One report said 71 percent of U.S. homes have two-megabit per second or faster Internet connections). The compression is so good that players can play games even if their homes are as much as 1,000 miles away from the server. For now, OnLive needs only five data center locations to be able to cover the entire country.

Of course, there are some limitations. The technology isn’t quite good enough to be able to do 1080p resolution, which is the highest available on game consoles and TVs. That’s because it would require broadband speeds of up to 10 megabits per second. Countries such as Japan have those speeds, but you have to pay a premium for that kind of service in the U.S.

Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
TooManyToasters
Paper_Waluigi

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:00 pm   Reply with quote

If this will let me play Starcraft 2 when it comes out, I will shit a brick. ФֻФ
asdf    
The Axolotl Sympathist
Geno
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:28 pm   Reply with quote

I'm totally hitting this shit up when it's all said and done.
Geno's Tree    
Ohh, THAT makes sense!
Tyler
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 2 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:43 pm   Reply with quote

Soooo... would I be able to play Team Fortress 2 on my laptop, which normally runs it terribly?
Tyler's Sexy Shop    
The Axolotl Sympathist
Geno
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:08 pm   Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
Soooo... would I be able to play Team Fortress 2 on my laptop, which normally runs it terribly?
This is what I was thinking. And...

AND...

CRYSIS?!
Geno's Tree    
darkzero
Rusty Shackleford
Vampire

HP: 1 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:09 pm   Reply with quote

Geno wrote:
Tyler wrote:
This is what I was thinking. And...

AND...

CRYSIS?!
Forget Crysis.

GTA IV on PC. °Д°
◉_◉ ʘﮯʘ
darkzero's Bargain shop    
koopakape
Supa Koopa

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:46 pm   Reply with quote

this actually sounds like the perfect counterpart to the generation's nintendo system to me

knowing nintendo, they'll always keep certain aspects of their system restricted to their system itself, like, say, the wii's channel system and ds--wii connectivity etc. and likely keep first/2nd-party games held up tight. this is exactly the reason I own the generation's nintendo system every generation as well as one other (ps1, ps2, 360, etc) but never all 3, or however many. there's a lot, LOT of good reason to own a 'normal' system while nintendo messes around with all their little 'innovations' that end up making their systems incompatible or just not up to par with a lot of the great features of the other consoles, but yet that same innovation that you'll see NOTHING like on the other consoles and *ESPECIALLY* the first-party MUST-HAVES that FLOOD nintendo systems and you'll NEVER see anywhere else absolutely force you to get the nintendo console of the generation.

now, that being said, having my hungry nerdy fingers all over a nintendo console for all it's good for but *also* being able to buy this little gadget that pretty much says 'hey i'm all the other consoles at once so you'll never miss a hit game' is like '*crag* YES'

let us pray to the Big Rock Who Watches that this works

RaveRaze
Mana7
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:01 pm   Reply with quote

HOLY SHIT YES, I just hope they partner up with Steam and let me play my valve games on there
Choco's    
Addicted to linebreaks
Plastic Mario
Vampire

HP: 94 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:20 pm   Reply with quote

Our favourite bottle of soda wanted me to say this so yeah

MSN wrote:
silversoda@hotmail.com says:
*crag* *crag* *crag* I don't mean to sound like an asshole but this is for the good of people who want onlive : ( can you post in gaming news and reviews, and thus the pc/console mark topic, and say that beta signups are open at http://www.onlive.com/beta_program.html
or something
cuz'
that'd be cool
if one digibutter members got a beta thing
and stuff
Fiberglass World    
Something to deliver
Screamy

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:43 pm   Reply with quote

I'm sort of skeptical about this. What about lag? Also the quality of the video may not be as good as playing on a console since it is incoming from the internet. We'll see how well it works when it comes out. Don't get me wrong, I hope this works out really well, but we'll see.

PC Gamer
Alexio
Vampire

HP: 15 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:24 am   Reply with quote

Looks too good to be true. PC gamers probably won't give up upgrading and stuff for OnLive since the lack of mod support. I like having physical copies of games too.
Shop of Alex    
Token Nazi?
Zelnor

HP: 10 MP: 7 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:17 am   Reply with quote

Wouldn't there be massive lag, hax and all such internet disease ? It would be awesome and end the retarded console wars, but it looks like it's streaming, not DLing your games like Steam does.

Also, if they monopolize the market, expect fees like whoa.

Wait, I just actually understood the good side, with the whole hardware... the potential is epic... one would not be needing top hardware, of course, but remote play might have some issues...

Also, if their servers go kablooie just once, there will be global geek raeg.

HARD COPIES FTW.

Oh, and remember when you got your stem account hax'd ? This would bel ike that, only a million times worse. Even if they bind it to the console, I bet some fickdace would find new ways to piss people off.

I'll remain undecided, 'k ? :/
Twilit Mall: Zelnor Mart    
Carpaccio
Super BLU Spy

HP: 100 MP: 9 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:38 pm   Reply with quote

My friends just encouraged me to sign up for beta. is 33888 a valid zip code? Screw it, just screw it. I signed up.
Sigil Securities    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews