digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

[REVIEW] Mechanic Master

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews
RULE ONE OF FIGHT CLUB
Steve

HP: 100 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:21 pm   Reply with quote

From the makers of Mortal Kombat comes a huge storm of blood and gore guaranteed to- wait, never mind. Mechanic Master is a physics-based puzzler by Midway Games, makers of Mortal Kombat.

The aim of the game is to blow up all the spaceships on screen- There's also a lacklustre side mode involving drawing Canvas Cursesque rainbow lines to make portals and roads. Also, the level editor that requires a degree in architecture to even begin to fathom.

First off- The game's biggest problem: No tutorial. You get a tutorial for the first two basic items you'll use and nothing more. This is a pretty big problem as some of the items involve trial and error and a lot of complicated mechanisms. "What? You need to tie a bucket to the gun? IT FIRES PLUNGERS?!" It was too late that I realised holding onto the item and keeping the stylus still opens a menu showing the item's various properties. Grrr.

The gameplay...Is interesting. The later levels are abominably hard, it's real difficulty, the puzzles acually require some degree of skill. They actually feel rewarding. It's a feeling of accomplishment. You think "I was smart/determined/had a cheat site on hand enough to solve this ridiculous mechanics lesson"

Some levels, however, are just plain broken. t takes someone special to make things like this in a puzzle game. Maybe he was abused as a kid, maybe he's retarded, but godamnit, my object being placed a pixel too far should not change a thing.

GAMEPLAY: 7/10. Apart from the levels physically requiring you to use every word in the sailors dictionary, it's an enjoyable experience.

Now, the story- What story? This game has no story. Come on Midway, you can do better. It almost seems unfair to deduct points because of this, but just because it's a puzzle game doesn't mean you can get away with having no story.

STORY: N/A

Graphics. Not much to say really, they're standard, 2D DS graphics. Some of the items look very vague. In the office* my colleagues** complained*** that I was making an awful noise when I realised the reasom I couldn't make the toaster work was because it was a gun.

GRAPHICS: 6/10. It could have been better.

SOUND. I can count two songs. Two *crag* songs They're repetitive and annoying and hearing them constantly is making me suicidal. A saving throw at least is the effects are alright and only heard briefly.

SOUND: 3/10. By god's grace, make it stop.

OVERALL: 4/10 5.3/10. I'm being geberous today and not counting the "No story" shit. I suggest you don't get it. It's too complicated to be a quick timewaster and too boring to be a lengthy and interesting experience.

*My basement. **My cat and dog. ***Don't ask. Shifty
penis    
oar
Super Maiq the Liar

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:40 pm   Reply with quote

Why does everything need a story?

What was Dig-Dug's story?

What was Pac Man's story?

Beyond "Save the princess from evil", what was Super Mario Bros' story?

You people have been spoiled by RPGs and shit. Not everything needs a shitty story to be good.

Just look at MK:D's and MK:A's stories. See how 'amazing' they were?

The only fair way to be able to knock off points for Story is if the game has a shitty story. You can't rate something that isn't even part of the game. Otherwise, people would knock points off of games like Oblivion and Mass Effect for lacking online play, when they don't even need it to be great.
Tamriellic Titles    
Tails Doll

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:47 pm   Reply with quote

Maiq the Liar wrote:

You people have been spoiled by RPGs and shit. Not everything needs a shitty story to be good.

The only fair way to be able to knock off points for Story is if the game has a shitty story. You can't rate something that isn't even part of the game. Otherwise, people would knock points off of games like Oblivion and Mass Effect for lacking online play, when they don't even need it to be great.
Amen, Maiq.
Hell    
RULE ONE OF FIGHT CLUB
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:57 pm   Reply with quote

Maiq the Liar wrote:

"Story" is part of the basic template I use for reviewing. Games like Dig Dug and Pac Man weren't expected to have a story, back then not much was. And what the *crag* do RPGs have to do with this? I'm sorry, but I at least expect the game to tell me what the *crag* these things I'm killing are, or why I'm killing them. As you'll also notice I didn't even dedcut points for it not having a story. Shifty
penis    
oar
Super Maiq the Liar

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:13 pm   Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
Maiq the Liar wrote:

"Story" is part of the basic template I use for reviewing. Games like Dig Dug and Pac Man weren't expected to have a story, back then not much was. And what the *crag* do RPGs have to do with this? I'm sorry, but I at least expect the game to tell me what the *crag* these things I'm killing are, or why I'm killing them. As you'll also notice I didn't even dedcut points for it not having a story. Shifty

Well yeah, but then what's the point of adding story to the list?
Tamriellic Titles    
RULE ONE OF FIGHT CLUB
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:24 pm   Reply with quote

Maiq the Liar wrote:
Steve wrote:
Maiq the Liar wrote:

Well yeah, but then what's the point of adding story to the list?
It's simply the basic template I use for all my reviews. Did it negatively affect the way the review worked in any way?Shifty
penis    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews