digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

DSi Review
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

HP: 10 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:48 am   Reply with quote

...ya

Screen Quality: 10/10
Great images, there really isn't much else to say, other than the screens don't scratch easily (so far) and they're bigger than the DS Lite's screens.

Features: 10/10
It's like a pocket-Wii. It's great. The camera quality is amazing, and you can play on it for hours. The DSi store doesn't have a very wide selection, as of yet, but it will have more, soon. The DSi Sound feature is very cool, you can record sounds and morph them in all different ways. You can even play music from a SD-Card! The only problem is the lack of a GBA slot, so you can't play games like Guitar Hero, and you can't do things like Pal Park in Pokιmon.

Software: 7/10
The software is almost all the same as a normal DS, or DS Lite, with the exception of DSiWare. So far, the only good game I have from the DSi Shop is WarioWare: Snapped!, which is 500 points (you get 1000 free points for buying a DSi). In WariWare: Snapped! you take different poses, and you play with motion, sort of like EyeToy for the PS2. This game is a steal for 5 bucks. There will be some DSI-specific games, but none in the foreseeable future.

Button Layout: 4/10
Nothing to write home about. The L and R buttons are kinda funny shaped, but I think it's because so many DSs and DS Lites' shoulder buttons broke, and these seem sturdier. The volume control is on the opposite side of the power button on the DS Lite, so it doesn't feel natural to control the volume. And when you're holding the stylus between the DSi and your hand as you play, be prepared for a volume drop. The power button is on the same side as the control pad, and in the same location as the Start and Select buttons, so at least I'd turn it off by accident, as SOME point. Everything else (A, B, Y, X, Mic, Headphone jack, etc) is in the same place.

Feel: 8/10
It feels kinda rigid when you hold it. The DS Lite felt smooth, and nice, but this feels... Different. It's hard to explain. Also, the buttons feel a little odd when you press them, but that's most likely something you'll get used to over time.

Overall: 9/10

It's definitely a must-buy, especially for $170! Even though it doesn't have the GBA slot, it's worth getting. If you trade in a DS Lite, is $70 off, so if you don't have GUitar Hero or Pokιmon, you should do that to save money. You won't regret buying this system.

———————————>awesome[/b]
Milton Games    
Count Blumiere

HP: 10 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:53 am   Reply with quote

good review. Sounds awesome!

jacking off
Small Sammer Guy

HP: 10 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:46 pm   Reply with quote

No its not.
You think the camera quality is amazing? 2 megapixel is not even close to amazing.
In my opinion, the only good thing about the DSi is the DSi shop online.
Everything else, meh its the same ol' DS.
Baby Shop    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:57 pm   Reply with quote

Small Sammer Soldier wrote:
No its not.
You think the camera quality is amazing? 2 megapixel is not even close to amazing.
And the fact's that it's pretty much a DS with r4 capability.
The Town of Lix    
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:42 pm   Reply with quote

Small Sammer Soldier wrote:
No its not.
It's not amazing camera quality, I'm just saying that it's a LOT better than I expected, and that it's pretty amazing for a system so small with so many other things it can do.

———————————>awesome
Milton Games    
oar
Super Maiq the Liar

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:58 pm   Reply with quote

Fat Tuper wrote:
It feels kinda rigid when you hold it. The DS Lite felt smooth, and nice, but this feels... Different. It's hard to explain. Also, the buttons feel a little odd when you press them, but that's most likely something you'll get used to over time.

So does this mean it isn't covered in the shitty grease-trap slick plastic crap the DS Lite is?
Tamriellic Titles    
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:29 pm   Reply with quote

Maiq the Liar wrote:
Fat Tuper wrote:

So does this mean it isn't covered in the shitty grease-trap slick plastic crap the DS Lite is?
I thought the plastic was nice. But yes, it's not covered in the plastic.

———————————>awesome
Milton Games    
THE BIRTHDAY GIRL
King Harkinian
Burning

HP: 88 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:39 am   Reply with quote

I still prefer the classic, bulky DS. I don't need a camera on my DS (a cell phone camera is fine by me) and WiiWare/DSi Ware isn't all its cracked up to be. (Though WarioWare Snapped sounds pretty cool.) It's also a shame they had to give up the GBA slot for a camera. The whole point of Pokemon Platinum (or Diamond and Pearl) is to Pal Park all your ubers from the GBA games and destroy everyone in your path. Also, is there separate DSi games only for DSi? (Do regular DS games work on the DSi? Do DSi games work on the DS Classic or DS Lite?)
The King's Chamber    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:08 pm   Reply with quote

King Harkinian wrote:
I still prefer the classic, bulky DS. I don't need a camera on my DS (a cell phone camera is fine by me) and WiiWare/DSi Ware isn't all its cracked up to be. (Though WarioWare Snapped sounds pretty cool.) It's also a shame they had to give up the GBA slot for a camera. The whole point of Pokemon Platinum (or Diamond and Pearl) is to Pal Park all your ubers from the GBA games and destroy everyone in your path. Also, is there separate DSi games only for DSi? (Do regular DS games work on the DSi? Do DSi games work on the DS Classic or DS Lite?)
DSi "games" are simply programs run off your SD card, often requiring the DSi's capabilities. However, if it didn't require any of the DSi's capabilities, it (probably) could be run on the DS using an R4.

And DS games can be run on the DSi.
The Town of Lix    
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:58 pm   Reply with quote

King Harkinian wrote:
It's also a shame they had to give up the GBA slot for a camera.
No, they took it out in exchange for almost everything it can do. If they had a GBA sot, they couldn't have DSi Shop, DSiWare, a camera (which is really fun, btw. WAY more than just a camera. It's also basically PhotoShop.), OR DSi Sound.

———————————>awesome
Milton Games    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:08 pm   Reply with quote

Oh, by the way, I bet you that, sooner or later, Nintendo will release a GBA slot add-on for the DSi that lets you play GBA games with it for a lowly cost of 10 dollars!

They might, or someone will eventually make it. Either way, the fact doesn't change that's it's just a DS with in-built R4 capability, a sub-par camera, a fairly portable image editor, and a portable version of Audacity with a new User Interface. Oh, and their DSiWare store.
The Town of Lix    
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:32 pm   Reply with quote

Bartz Klauser wrote:
Oh, by the way, I bet you that, sooner or later, Nintendo will release a GBA slot add-on for the DSi that lets you play GBA games with it for a lowly cost of 10 dollars!

They might, or someone will eventually make it. Either way, the fact doesn't change that's it's just a DS with in-built R4 capability, a sub-par camera, a fairly portable image editor, and a portable version of Audacity with a new User Interface. Oh, and their DSiWare store.
They probably will make it. The only question is: how would they fit it on?

And if they make it, I hope it can play GB and GBC games, too!

Also, I think they should put out VC games on the DSi (Portable VC, like for GB, GBC, GBA, etc.)

———————————>awesome
Milton Games    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:34 pm   Reply with quote

Fat Tuper wrote:
Bartz Klauser wrote:

They probably will make it. The only question is: how would they fit it on?

And if they make it, I hope it can play GB and GBC games, too!

Also, I think they should put out VC games on the DSi (Portable VC, like for GB, GBC, GBA, etc.)

———————————>awesome
That's called 'using a R4 while you still actually own the games because of your code of honor.'
The Town of Lix    
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:33 am   Reply with quote

Ok, what's an R4? Is that what lets you play GB games on a DSi?

———————————>awesome
Milton Games    
Count Blumiere

HP: 10 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:52 am   Reply with quote

Two words: Virtual Handheld.
Yep it's been annouced, you can download GB, GBA and Game Gear, but no games annouced as of yet. Isn't that enough for the Dsi to be ultimatly awesome? Razz Cool

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews