digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Why most Atheists are ignorant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:17 pm   Reply with quote

LoudKid wrote:
You know what, you're right. Personally I'm an 'agnostic' anyways (however you wanna take that), And I have not the time, the recources, or the patience to actually argue this out.

I'll leave you with this, though: If you want this to be taken seriously, I would suggest showing some references.

It's called google.

Look it up.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA
Francine

HP: 78 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:50 pm   Reply with quote

I'll admit that my argument for the creation of life was pretty redundant, but there's still plenty of evidence that other species have high intelligence.

The use of language by Koko does not only stem from the trainer giving her food if she signs correctly. Koko has created crude compound words such as "water bird" to describe ducks. This cognitive reasoning shows that it's more than a Pavlov experiment. According to PBS, there has also been instances of artistic expression by the gorillas.

Greater primates also have a politics system, such as chimpanzees distributing meat to their allies within the troop and keeping it away from their rivals. (source) They also use tools and systematically kill other monkeys, specifically targeting a certain species.
The Shop on a Hill    
See?
Popple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:39 pm   Reply with quote

I'll give you intelligence, but that still doesn't mean consciousness.

I don't think animals have thoughts, at least in the way we perceive thoughts.

I think animals like Koko are just taking sign language and using it like regular body language, not an equivalent of speech.

We can hear different noises of animals and tell that they are happy or sad, but they don't vocalize themselves into anything remotely equivalent to speech.

I must apologize, I was making rash generalizations based upon what was provided on the Koko site.

Surprisingly, not much.

I found a twenty minute video explaining what you meant, but even so I don't think that warrants a theory that animals have the same type of self awareness, let alone consciousness, that we perceive.

But this also leaves another line of questioning.

Gorillas are not a new species.

They have been around arguably longer than man.

They seem to be capable of rudimentary communication as we perceive communication, yet it took a human teacher to get it out of them.

If that is true, then one has to wonder how man developed such complex levels of speech.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:14 pm   Reply with quote

Animals actually have somewhat complex forms of communications. Look at the dolphins for an example. We can't understand any of the messages they make to each other, though they seem to understand their own language.

And Popple, we have no concrete proof that animals lack consciousness, mostly because it's incredibly difficult to prove it to another being that can't comprehend what we say, because we and they operate on different levels, and in different ways.
The Town of Lix    
See?
Popple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:49 pm   Reply with quote

It's actually relatively easy with a lot of animals, because when you put them in front of a mirror they think they've found their long lost identical twin.

In other news, I said they can communicate.

But what they communicate through vocalization is no more complex than human body language.

It is used mostly to convey motions and general ideas, not complex thought.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:22 pm   Reply with quote

Bring me the evidence for your first statement, then we'll talk.
The Town of Lix    
See?
Popple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:27 pm   Reply with quote

Bartz Klauser wrote:
Bring me the evidence for your first statement, then we'll talk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_test#Animals_that_pass_the_mirror_test
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:32 pm   Reply with quote

All right then, but there are still several groups of animals that pass this test, meaning they are self aware. Now, is there any proof that these animals have consciousness, as I stated earlier.
The Town of Lix    
See?
Popple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:52 pm   Reply with quote

Bartz Klauser wrote:
All right then, but there are still several groups of animals that pass this test, meaning they are self aware. Now, is there any proof that these animals have consciousness, as I stated earlier.

Humans are the only species that exhibit signs of consciousness, as in we can think about our actions and we are aware of what we are doing it, how we are doing it, and most importantly why we are doing it.

There is no way to study this in animals unless they suddenly gained the ability to speak english.

But, as with Koko, so far communicating with animals has only proven to show a low level of consciousnesses.

They can recognize faces and attach labels to those, but whether or not they actually have the ability to think as we understand thinking is up for debate.

I don't think they do, because as stated before, no animal has so far shown any level of intelligence even close to humanities.

Even humans born in third world countries with absolutely no modern influences are far more advanced than the smartest ape.

It really is quite a dilemma.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 pm   Reply with quote

That, however, leaves it unknown, really getting us nowhere.

Now, on to the real topic: The atheists that act like that, they really aren't "smart", as they proclaim themselves. They're just bumbling fools that are unable to prove their points properly.
The Town of Lix    
See?
Popple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:58 pm   Reply with quote

All atheists are unable to prove their points.

They are just able to prove that the bible has contradictions.

A BOOK WRITTEN THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND FOR A MODERN DAY READER

WELL JEE WIZ BATMAN!
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:01 pm   Reply with quote

What they do fail to realize, however, is how most texts, if you look closely enough, contradicts itself, unless it's fiction.
The Town of Lix    
See?
Popple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:09 pm   Reply with quote

A lot of it has to do with numbers.

In hewbrew numbers actually mean different phrases.

Too bad Atheist think the bible was written in english.

You know, by american jesus.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA
Francine

HP: 78 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:44 pm   Reply with quote

I think I only lean towards the atheist side of agnosticism because I've never found the spirituality or comfort in religion, but science interests me to an immense extent.

And on the religious texts thing, they're probably not even originals. All those emperors and leaders and what not took all of the religions in their empires and smacked them together to form a somewhat general religion, taking the teachings from this sect and the holidays from that sect and the traditions of those sects until you get something that most people in the empire could somewhat adjust to. Like the whole thing with Dec. 25th not being Jesus's biological birthday but instead a pagan holiday with his party date thrown on it. Then there's the whole thing with the Dead Sea scrolls pretty much retelling Christianity or some hoo-hah that made people want to destroy them.

Also I LOVE when one of those rude atheists say that Jesus didn't exist. He existed, alright; there's just the debate of whether he was the Messiah or not. I still think he's a pretty cool guy even if he can't save humanity from its sins.
The Shop on a Hill    
See?
Popple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:52 pm   Reply with quote

I don't even believe in a Christian God necessarily, I just think there is a deity that created the universe.

In a sense, I believe all religions are right.

But mostly wrong also.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion