digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Time Travel
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion
Token Nazi?
Zelnor

HP: 10 MP: 7 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 am   Reply with quote

I had a really strange idea about a week ago when I was under the shower, and I feel like sharing.

It is common knowledge that a sufficiently large mass of matter distorts spacetime around itself.

As we go up from the first dimension (line) to the second (square), the third (cube) and then the fourth (tesseract) we add more and more potential for information to objects.
A line has only length, a square length and width, etc. Similarly, there is only an x-coordinate in 1d-space, x and Y in 2D, x,y and z in 3d.

Quantum physicists have proposed that the universe contains up to eleven dimensions, most of the higher ones curled up in themselves in strings.

My theory may therefore be completely faulty, as I only assume the existence of four "properties" in matter; that is, x, y, z, and time-coordiantes and attributes.

If you super condense normal matter, you will, as the mass increases, distort the spacetime continuum more and more until the matter collapses on itself, creating a black hole complete with an event horizon beyond with the laws of physics are given the finger.

I propose doing something similiar, but not using conventional matter.

Using the aforementioned four coordinates / properties I argue that most matter in our universe is, on average, 2.5 dimensional (1+2+3+4=10; 10/4 = 2,5) but fluctuates across dimensions. I propose the existence of a type of particle, energy or energy-particle that allows matter to exhibit dimensional characteristics and saturates our universe.

If most matter exists in all four dimensions (on average 2.5D [which explains why there is always so little time, ha ha.]) and distorts them, then that distortion due to accumulation must be an effect of the dimension-assigning energy.

If this were true, then the following should be possible:
* To isolate matter from the dimensional properties
* To manipulate these properties, e.g. creating purely 3D matter (static in time) or even lesser dimensional matter
* To create 4d matter.

If the creation of purely fourdimensional matter is possible, then any sufficiently large mass of 4D matter should warp the fourth dimension, time, around it.

Just be careful not to super condense it too much, or you might create the time-equivalent of a black hole, which would either suck all time in the vicinity into itself, or do something even weirder.

Last edited by Zelnor on Sat May 23, 2009 4:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Twilit Mall: Zelnor Mart    
Hellza Ballza
Goron Mask
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:30 pm   Reply with quote

Zelnor sometimes I wish I had your intellect at times. This actually seems like a very plausible idea, or at least you made it sound like it was. This also sounds like something that may require more advanced technology to pull off as well so I dunno but you probably on to something I believe.
Some store that sells shit    
RaveRaze
Mana7
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:35 pm   Reply with quote

How do you intend to condense that much matter into a single point, and do we even have enough matter in our universe. (Also if I completely missed something, excuse me, Not a big fan of science)
Choco's    
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

HP: 10 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 pm   Reply with quote

tl;dr half of it, but from what I DID read, you sound smart and you confuse me, too.

———————————>awesome
Milton Games    
TooManyToasters
Paper_Waluigi

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:30 pm   Reply with quote

You are either some kind of supergenius or completely stoned off your ass. ФֻФ
asdf    
Shadoo Omega
Super Shadoo™

HP: 100 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:52 pm   Reply with quote

RaveRaze wrote:
How do you intend to condense that much matter into a single point, and do we even have enough matter in our universe. (Also if I completely missed something, excuse me, Not a big fan of science)

I DUNNO, USE A LONG TUBE OF SPIRALING LASERS THAT ARE AS HOT AS THE SUN? awesome

Shadoo's Badge Shop    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:03 pm   Reply with quote

An interesting idea that you have here. There is one problem, however.

It would be impossible to isolate matter from the dimensional properties, since absolute zero for such a thing would be unreachable, a void that would be soon filled due to simply diffusion.

However, manipulation of the energy that causes such a difference might lead to something else all together. Interesting idea. Maybe I'll try testing this out later in life.
The Town of Lix    
Token Nazi?
Zelnor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:16 am   Reply with quote

First of all, thanks for your responses.

As to why I got this idea, lol I dunno. Maybe I'm a Spark. (Ha, more likely just stroking my own ego.)

A typical spark in a state of hyperfocus, also known as "The Madness Place" (Do read Girl Genius, it's quite good.)

Well, as I said, it's kind of made up. There might be the fact that I ignored any dimension higher then 4 in this proposal, and maybe strings would come along and kick my ass.

RaveRaze wrote:

EDIT: By the way, black holes already do something similiar, but mash together all four(+ ?) dimensions. Nobody can say what happens beyond the event horizon.

If I were to be right about matter having a sort of either subatomic particle or energy that gives it four-dimensionality, all we have to do is fond a way to manipulate and extract that.
The problem with that would be that we don't know how theoretical higher- or lower-dimensional matter would react with its surrounding - would we create time-independent two dimensional matter incapable of moving along the z-axis, would they collapse into a lower dimension, would they annihilate themselves in contact with other matter ?

Considering that this is highly theoretical, I might be totally wrong. I just have a feeling. (Maybe Geno isn't the only one with ghostly benefactors.)

THE GAME wrote:

I DUNNO, USE A LONG TUBE OF SPIRALING LASERS THAT ARE AS HOT AS THE SUN? :awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRWwI61so5Q

I became sceptical at "speeding over the lightspeed barrier". Because at that time, you'll be colliding with particles of light.
But else, if it's possible, it's not quite a time machine; it's a gateway that's only one way. Still, time travel I suppose.

Bartz Klauser wrote:
An interesting idea that you have here. There is one problem, however.

It would be impossible to isolate matter from the dimensional properties, since absolute zero for such a thing would be unreachable, a void that would be soon filled due to simply diffusion.

However, manipulation of the energy that causes such a difference might lead to something else all together. Interesting idea. Maybe I'll try testing this out later in life.

I don't know why, but the word "particle accelerator" keeps bumping into my mind. This is getting creepy.

Well, similarly how we can store and contain antimatter using electromagnetic fields, there may be a solution as to how to contain Dimensional-Property particles / waves / wave-particles. Then it would be a simple matter of taking some junk matter, extracting its four-dimensional properties, and then condensing them until time warps around you.

The idea with diffusion is an interesting one; if my simplified "2.5d on average" model is correct, then matter might be in constant flux and give off and receive dimensional property waves / particles / wave-particles. That might simplify things; if we could construct a device similiar to a laser, that only lets out particles that are parrallel to each other and with the same wavelengths, we might be able to gradually accumulate higher-dimensional particles and/or isolate their properties.

The issue this throws up is, of course, control and movement.
I think the strength of the warp could be controlled by the strength of condensation; more power into the condensers, higher four-dimensional pull, stronger warp.

The matter of movement would be - well, I guess we would have to move on the 3D plane and move at the same time through time. As you warp only time around yourself, space should stay the same.

Oh, also, if you ever invent a portable version of this machine, try to include a warning label about
a) not walking into matter that was there in the past (temporal tele-frag would be the first big issue)
b) there being no realistic reason for doing the "Time Warp" with your portable 4D-warper.

... I have a headache.

[/im
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

HP: 10 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:58 am   Reply with quote

Also, the picture really mesmerizes me.

———————————>awesome
Milton Games    
Token Nazi?
Zelnor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:55 am   Reply with quote

The tesseract ?

It's a construct chosen to represent the 4th Dimension; a tesseract is to a cube what a cube is to a square.

It's not really 4-dimensional, though. But it looks trippy.
RaveRaze
Mana7
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:12 am   Reply with quote

[color=#0076FFp] ... my head hurts...

Also how do you extract a property of matter, from Bartz post im assuming that if you can get a form of matter to reach absolute zero then it will be in some form where you can extract properties from it

Wouldnt you be constructing something similar to a black hole on the earths surface, which would begin sucking in all the matter from the planet, And if to actually reach another area of time, wouldnt a similar portal appear there also sucking in particles, when they would eventually crash inbetween dimensions[/color]
Choco's    
Larry Koopa
Sam

HP: 35 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:12 am   Reply with quote

Okay smartass, let's go back to the future then!
Koop    
WHO HA HOO HEY HOOM
Paper Luigi
Vampire

HP: 1 MP: 7 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:13 pm   Reply with quote

Um... What?
PaperLuigi's Inconvienence Store    
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA
Francine

HP: 78 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:18 pm   Reply with quote

lol theoretical physics lol
The Shop on a Hill    
That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

HP: 88 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:11 pm   Reply with quote

Didn't I tell you about tesseracts? God they're painful to think about.
pure-???'s shop of spells.    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion