digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Infamous [Review]

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews
lolz
Shrowser

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:21 pm   Reply with quote

Well, I got Infamous for PS3 a couple weeks ago. I went into it not expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised.

REVIEW TIME

Graphics: 7/10
I was expecting a bit more from an exclusive PS3 title, but the graphics are still really good, don't get me wrong. The character design and animations are sweet. Cole (the main character) moves around very fluidly and the Reapers, Dustmen, and those other guys on the last island are really cool. Also, cutscenes are done to look like a motion comic-book, giving it more of a super-hero-ey feel. Kind of like a SpiderMan game.

Gameplay: 9/10
The controls in Infamous are pretty solid. I mean VERY solid. Shooting electricity and using various other powers feels very powerful and they're very easy to use. You start the game with only the ability to shoot lightning from your fingertips. Later on, you find more abilites like throwing electric sticky-bombs, shooting off thunder rockets, grinding on railroad tracks and even hovering in midair. You earn XP from doing missions and defeating enemies which you can use to upgrade your powers.
There is also a Karma system. At certain points, the game will confront you with a difficult choice between good and evil. The good action usually involves helping others, but having some kind of disadvantage by doing so. An evil action is a more greedy choice, but it benefits you more. For example, at the beginning of the game, the government drops food into your city. You can choose to leave it alone and let other people eat it or zap someone in the crowd and scare everyone away so you can have it all for yourself. It really makes you care about the entire city and the characters.
The only complaint I have is climbing buildings. The game's engine pulls you into any object you're close to. This works well in platforming segments, but when you're trying to climb down a building because you missed something or whatever, you'll grab ever hold on the way, making it a slow and painful experience.

Story: 8/10
You are a messenger named Cole who is delivering a package when it explodes in his hands and gives him superpowers. The explosion is so huge, the entire city pretty much falls apart and is quarantined because of plague. A gang organizes and takes over the city and it's up to you to stop them and find out how you got your powers. Cole has a fat friend, Zeke, a girlfriend, Trish, and personal FBI agent, Maya. The story has a lot of twists and turns and gets really deep in the second half of the game.

Replayability: 9/10
Even though this game is a single player adventure game, it has great replay value because of the Karma system. I'm playing through the game as a Hero right now, but I plan on playing it again as Infamous(Evil) because I heard it changes the second half of the game entirely, offering a completely new game experience. Also, having the good and evil status also comes with exclusive powers.

Overall: 9/10
I LOVE THIS GAME. It's an amazing 15 to 20 hour game with plenty of options, a huge world to explore, and good replay value. If you have a PS3, get Infamous. It's a must have for any owner.
Shrowser's Shop    
Jr. Troopa
Admiral Bobbery

HP: 15 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:35 pm   Reply with quote

I got this game for my birthday, and I've been playing it a lot lately. One thing that I like about this game is that once you pop in the game, all you need to watch are the company logos and then you are in the game. It feels like there is no loading in the game, which makes the experience much better.

I'm going through the game as Hero and then as Evil.
Troopa's Treats    
jacking off
Small Sammer Guy

HP: 10 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:18 pm   Reply with quote

I played a demo of this somewhere. I like the controls too.

So you can choose between good or evil? interesting.
Baby Shop    
ChaosStar
Super Scourge
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 9 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:01 pm   Reply with quote

I'm planning to buy a PS3 this summer due to dropped prices (only this summer, after that they'll rise, again). I was planning to buy this game before I saw any review, but thanks for the encouragement. Now I really feel like buying it. Wink

Jedi
aquacura

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:15 am   Reply with quote

I want to play it, but I lack a PS3. Surprised

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews