digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Let's talk art

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion
and I control the decks
carfilledwithfish

HP: 88 MP: 7 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:35 pm   Reply with quote

I was thinking about this earlier today.

How do you define who is an artist and who isn't? Like, if someone who has never drawn before doodles a stickman, does that make them an artist? If not, when do they progress to the point where they are one?

To me, even if someone's work isn't good, they are an artist if they have the drive to create more and improve. Emphasis on improvement; some people can draw pretty well, but will throw a hissy fit if you even imply that their work is less than perfect.

Keeping your horizons broad is important, too. Even if you're drawing a million things a day, if you have no outside influences and only work in your own style, you could be making huge mistakes and not even be aware of it. I realized this when I was 14 or so and started getting really interested in animation. Before that, I had "my style," which I thought was fine the way it was. My ego was crushed while watching Disney movies, when I realized that while their characters where stylized, they still looked like people. The people I drew... didn't. I wanted to improve, but I didn't want to just copy Disney's style. I wanted to absorb all the information and styles that I could, and create something of my own.

Got kinda rambly there. Anyway, what, to you, defines an artist?

RaveRaze
Mana7
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:48 pm   Reply with quote

An artist to me is someone who creates something new, not repitition of something thats been done before but entirely original
Choco's    
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA
Francine

HP: 78 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:54 pm   Reply with quote

Anyone with a consistent desire to create?
The Shop on a Hill    
that confounded bridge
Abstract
Vampire

HP: 82 MP: 10 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:58 pm   Reply with quote

I think an artist is someone who strives to create something that the public eye will enjoy, but, more importantly, seeks to improve enough to create something that they themselves will enjoy.

Artists want to get better, always. The kid with a pencil in his hand just drawing stickmen and never going anywhere isn't an artist; not because of his lack of skill, but because of his lack of a desire to get BETTER at what he does.

Finally, artists enjoy what they do. They draw, paint, write, compose, or whatever because it makes them happy to do so.

I really do hate the term artist, since most people use it as an excuse to not improve, or see their own artistic flaws. I'm sure a lot of us have given critique to a 12-year-old girl, only for her to say "IT'S MY STYLE, IT'S SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE THAT", or "I DOUBT THAT YOU COULD DO ANY BETTER".
some shop lol    
OH GOD
Manpersonguything
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 8 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:10 pm   Reply with quote

I would say there is no borderline definition,
There are 2 answers. 1: Someone who creates art. No shit sherlock.
2: One who enjoys creating art and does so frequently.
So someone who painted once isn't an artist.

But that's just IMO.
TWEWY Pins    
Yellow Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:59 am   Reply with quote

Someone who makes shit society likes.

Because society controls our lives and there's no point in denying it. :)
Pipe Land Goods    
Carpaccio
Super BLU Spy

HP: 100 MP: 9 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:29 am   Reply with quote

An artist, to me, is someone who is willing and able to somewhat frequently turn out works that are visually or audibly pleasing to an audience.

Yes, I can't figure out what I mean either.
Sigil Securities    
Marth
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:07 pm   Reply with quote

I think you are a artist when you are dedicated and have visions of a fine work of art in your mind.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion