digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Jack Thompson targets Halo 3
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming
TooManyToasters
Paper_Waluigi

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:26 pm   Reply with quote

http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-individual/story/Jack_Thompson_Lays_His_Legal_Sites_on_Halo_3/
Will it ever end?
asdf    
Agent of Crime
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 9 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:49 pm   Reply with quote

Today a girl in my speech class gave a speech on how video games, not just violent video games, but video games in general, caused school shootings and stupidity. Her only basis for this was, as follows:

Quote:
This major university did this study where people who were violent tended to buzz louder and longer when playing games. The study also concluded that females buzz longer.

During the question and answer period, I asked:

"What did any of that have to do with school shootings?"

Her response:

Quote:
Well, people see shootings in video games, so they want to go kill people when they get to school.

My rebuttal:

"So by your logic, Scrabble causes school spellings."

Her closing statement:

Quote:
Uh...yeah. Sure.

The moral of this true story? People who think that violent video games are truly harmful tend to be idiots.

Actually, I just wanted to share how my day went with you. I knew you'd never ask otherwise.

That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

HP: 88 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:55 pm   Reply with quote

if he succeeds, but exclusively on micro soft, I would actually be pretty happy. as long as the computers keep going.
pure-???'s shop of spells.    
King of Koopas
Lord Bowser

HP: 97 MP: 10 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:02 pm   Reply with quote

Jack Thompson is the ONLY thing I hate more than MARIO!
Bowser'z!    
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:25 pm   Reply with quote

Then Halo 3 needs to target Jack Thompson... bwahahaha
Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
oar
Super Maiq the Liar

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:28 pm   Reply with quote

Francis wrote:

M'Aiq agrees entirely. Why, if M'Aiq wasn't a Khajiit, I would go there and...(M'Aiq wishes to save you from some very violent text)...and that would teach him a lesson he wouldn't soon forget.
Tamriellic Titles    
That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

HP: 88 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:53 pm   Reply with quote

to be totally honest I hate halo. and XBox 360. and ps3. and PSP. but not anything else. just the new non-wii systems. if anyone wants to hear why I hate the PSes, just ask. as for halo and 360, that just blatent reasonless hate.
pure-???'s shop of spells.    
Paper_Koopa

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:12 pm   Reply with quote

pure-??? wrote:
to be totally honest I hate halo. and XBox 360. and ps3. and PSP. but not anything else. just the new non-wii systems. if anyone wants to hear why I hate the PSes, just ask. as for halo and 360, that just blatent reasonless hate.

same here. I don't know why I hate Halo, but I do...

See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:42 pm   Reply with quote

Who actually cares what he says anymore? Did you know that he cares around a card that says he is officially not insane? He had to take a test, see? Razz
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Ruki Motomiya
Vampire

HP: 96 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:23 pm   Reply with quote

pure-??? wrote:

I would like to know why you hate PSes(PS2/PS3 is the only system other then the DS and Wii I want).
Ruki's Shop of Dark.    
Logic King
vg
Vampire

HP: 90 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:25 pm   Reply with quote

Ruki Motomiya wrote:
pure-??? wrote:

I would like to know why you hate PSes(PS2/PS3 is the only system other then the DS and Wii I want).

Yes, explain. I have the same general ideas, but I would like to hear your reasoning.
vg's Shop of Randomosity    
I see what you are doing.
Lord Vaati

HP: 99 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:52 pm   Reply with quote

M'Aiq the Liar wrote:
Francis wrote:

M'Aiq agrees entirely. Why, if M'Aiq wasn't a Khajiit, I would go there and...(M'Aiq wishes to save you from some very violent text)...and that would teach him a lesson he wouldn't soon forget.
a Khajiit hmmm I'm guessing your a fan of Morrowwind am I correct
Dark World Shop of Magic    
Current form: Normal
Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 38 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:57 am   Reply with quote

Thompson is an idiot in my opinion. Killing him would be a bad idea though. If he were to be killed, it might get more idiots to believe what he has said (especially if an avid gamer kills him). And someone who isn't an idiot might take his place.

What we need to do is make sure that people know that he's an idiot. We need gamers that are overly polite to represent us (I'm thinking of you Canadian gamers by the way). We need to find ways to make him seem like the bad guy. We need to insure that people know about the things he doesn't bother to explain (like how a video game manages to teach a kid how to properly fire, reload, and aim a gun).

Heck, there are a few flaws in his argument that GTA was used to train someone in how to use a gun.

1. I'm pretty sure that there is a big difference between being skilled at using a video game controller and using a gun (except for the old light guns that was used with the NES and SNES).

2. Recoil!

3. Real use of a sniper rifle is different than the use of one in most video games. In most video games, the rifle doesn't move around, and thus you just point it at a spot and wait for someone to walk into the crosshair. In real life, the slightest twitch can mean the difference between hitting the target and hitting the guy 10 feet away from him. In real life, it is about trying to desperately hold the gun steady and trying to get the crosshair to intersect the target and firing the rifle at that moment.

I've also noticed that he seems to be talking to the wrong people when he talks about how the game needs to be kept from being sold directly to people that are under 17. When someone buys a gun illegally, do we blame the person who made the gun or do we blame the person who sold the gun?

He has done some good for us gamers. He's given us a new word to call ourselves. Thanks to him, we can proudly refer to ourselves as "pixelantes"! Jack Thompson seemed to hate it when gamers turned his term into a badge of honor. It probably got him even angrier when the biblical quotes that he himself had used were used against him.

If we send him death threats, it'll only fuel his actions more. Civility would make a much better weapon against him than any message of hate against him. I honestly believe that the Flowers for Jack project has done more against him than anything else.

I'm sorry if I failed to organize my thoughts well in this post.
Shop #42    
Larry Koopa
Sam

HP: 35 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:29 am   Reply with quote

Agent of Crime wrote:
Today a girl in my speech class gave a speech on how video games, not just violent video games, but video games in general, caused school shootings and stupidity. Her only basis for this was, as follows:

Quote:
This major university did this study where people who were violent tended to buzz louder and longer when playing games. The study also concluded that females buzz longer.

During the question and answer period, I asked:

"What did any of that have to do with school shootings?"

Her response:

Quote:
Well, people see shootings in video games, so they want to go kill people when they get to school.

My rebuttal:

"So by your logic, Scrabble causes school spellings."

Her closing statement:

Quote:
Uh...yeah. Sure.

The moral of this true story? People who think that violent video games are truly harmful tend to be idiots.

Actually, I just wanted to share how my day went with you. I knew you'd never ask otherwise.

... i hate people who think its the video games.. gawd, they need a life -.-
Koop    
MintCream
Vampire

HP: 90 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:55 am   Reply with quote

Agent of Crime wrote:

Quote:

What in high Hades does she mean by 'buzzing'? What does that have to do with shootings? And does this mean girls are more likely to conduct shootings? How many girls have done so thus far?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming