digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

I think we need to get a little bit stricter on rules
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Feedback
Tails Doll

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:33 pm   Reply with quote

So far, we really don't have too much happening with flaming, spamming, or other annoyances and everybody is usually upset about them. Well, I go to the MFGG and it's community, two sites were stupidity is not allowed in the least, and do you know what they use as punishment? Bans. You heard me. Bans. Usually for several hours to several days but repeated or lied offensives add up, and may warrent several hundred thousand days or a permanent ban. (In MFGG's main site, you can also get muted, witch is a post ban, or even submission banned, but that's a different story) I know this might get rid of the whole jail thing, but it would allow more flexibility and more punishment. Also, we really shouldn't be afraid of telling a mod that there is a problem when it arises, even PMing them when they aren't around. How else will they find out? Well, it has to be remembered, Francis won't fix everything, more mods won't fix everything, hell, normal users can't either, but we as whole will, and right now, we need to take the first step. Discuss.
Hell    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:38 pm   Reply with quote

Can you be my new favorite person?
Popple's Secret Hideout    
I AM TAYL
Mona

HP: 85 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:40 pm   Reply with quote

That actually makes sense.
Cashplx Land!    
Tails Doll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:42 pm   Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind, Pop. Now, anyways, this is the only non-major forum I've been to were people are worring about it dying, by that I mean becoming a total stupid wreck. Now, that is kinda bad, but MFGG was once having the same problem long before I joined, and they aren't run down, and since they have a larger community proves a whole lot. Francis is just gonna have to add something more than a few arcade games and items, the mods will have to apply new rules, and we're going to have to find out what's wrong. It's how it should work! Surprised
Hell    
~A color is just a color~
Frozenwinters

HP: 1 MP: 0 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:48 pm   Reply with quote

Agree'd

Muting ='s Jail
The Carmadox Party    
Tails Doll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:51 pm   Reply with quote

frozenwinters wrote:
Agree'd

Muting ='s Jail

Muting was actually permant in most of the cases I saw. Mainly because most offenders were really stupid members. It's temporary sometimes, though,
Hell    
OH GOD
Manpersonguything
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 8 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:54 pm   Reply with quote

I think we don't need to, Everything is in order.
TWEWY Pins    
Tails Doll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:58 pm   Reply with quote

manpersonguything wrote:
I think we don't need to, Everything is in order.

Or so you think. I don't think you like getting flamed several times every day here, do you?
Hell    
Kamek Koopa
Aran Ryan
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 2 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:05 am   Reply with quote

In a few MUGEN forums I go to, they kind of use the same warn system Sandslash explained.

Warned: Nothing blocked. (<- Not sure if this should have a 3 strike system on it.)
Moderated: You can post but staff has to approve your posts before they are posted.
Muted: You must be a serious rule breaker to get this. You cannot make posts, but you can still make PMs.
Banned: Your days in the forum are over. Your account is disabled and access is denied.

But the ban thing is a little over the top (look above this paragraph). It can be ONE temp-ban at first, but if the bad user is still acting up, then he/she will be banned... for good.
Ammu-Nation!    
Tails Doll

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:08 am   Reply with quote

The bans are almost always temporary, Cody, but they are for several days and unlike mutes, the forums can't be viewed. Permabans are only for filthy records.
Hell    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:39 am   Reply with quote

I like this system, it's like the old forum I worked on until the owner became a jerk.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Tails Doll

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:41 am   Reply with quote

Popple wrote:
I like this system, it's like the old forum I worked on until the owner became a jerk.

Out of curiosity, what happened?
Hell    
Yellow Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:41 am   Reply with quote

Sandslash wrote:
Popple wrote:

Out of curiosity, what happened?
Pipe Land Goods    
Richest user. :D
Super Ultimario

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:06 am   Reply with quote

Crazy Cody wrote:
Moderated: You can post but staff has to approve your posts before they are posted.

That's completely brilliant. It could literally cut somebody's spam down to zero. The only problem is having enough mods with enough free time to supervise their posts.

Yeah, the rules really do need to be stricter here. It used to be that Rookie posted BE MORE ORIGINAL, PLZ about 20 times and then he got permabanned, no questions asked. Now, if somebody floods RPOT or a Party with spam threads, what do they get? A strike. A strike that will take 5 rule-breaks to send them to Jail, where they will only spend a day. PATHETIC. If I didn't like Digibutt so much, I'd be spamming the crap out of it right now, and I wouldn't be banned. Ever.
Ultimario Mart!    
The local Dark Boo
Misaki
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:30 am   Reply with quote

I agree. Stricter rules - or rather, stricter enforcement of the current rules - would certainly help maintain all the spam around here lately. The punishments for spamming and flaming are far too lax at the moment, and I doubt getting one strike would really stop someone from continuing to flame and spam, especially since it, as Ultimario mentioned, takes around five of them to get any serious punishment - and even the punishment you get then, going to jail, is still rather harmless.

At a forum I used to go to, they had a similiar system to the strikes here, but with a small twist: When you got a strike/warning, it would overwrite your title with a "WARNINGS: #/10" message in bold, red text.

Seven warnings meant your avatar and signature would be removed, if I remember collectly, while eight meant a temporary ban for a day. Nine resulted in a temporary ban for a week, and ten resulted in a permaban.

The number of warnings someone got for breaking the rules depended on the what they did - if someone started a major flame war, they'd get around seven. If they started a major flame war, posted dozens of times in a row, and constantly posted off-topic things, that person would likely get nine warnings straight away, resulting in a temporary ban.

I believe a system like this might help on this forum as well. The Warnings message overwriting your title would already discourage people from breaking the rules, as people with many warnings tend to be avoided by others(and it's annoying to not be able to use your usertitle for some people... not everyone, though.), and so would harsher punishment for breaking the rules.

Also...

Crazy Cody wrote:

This could be done for the worst rulebreakers, even if it may be a bit annoying for the staff. I'm pretty sure it would help cut down the spam a lot.

Anyways, I'm definitly supporting this - something needs to be done about all the spamming and flaming lately, and stricter enforcement of the rules by using the punishments mentioned in this thread so far instead of simply giving someone a strike if they break the rules should definitly help.
Ye Olde Boo Shoppe    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Feedback