digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

The RP Rule Book Of RPing in the RP
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Role-Play
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:12 am   Reply with quote

TEH MOST IMPORTANZOR RULES:

1. Don't godmod. Don't one shot kill, don't auto hit, don't auto block, don't say "LOL I WIN" and leave, etc. Basically if you can't explain a rational reason to why and how you landed/blocked an attack then you miss and fall into a pit of eternal unpleasantness. Then die.

2. Freakin describe what the RP is. At least take the time to write a sentence or two about the setting and what is going on. "WE IN FUTURE, FIGHT NOW!" is therefore not acceptable under any circumstances.

3. Role play. This is the Role Play forum, try to PLAY YOUR ROLE. A medieval knight is not going to say "I OWNZED U WIT MAH SWORD!" Try to play the creator you chose or creator. Otherwise the whole RP falls into pieces and then those pieces are thrown into a fire. But they will still be alive.

4. You don't have to let everyone in your RP. If you mark the topic with something like [Private], a nifty little thing happens. People who try to enter which you haven't asked get a boot up their ass! Very Happy As long as you have that tag you can PM a mod and have the person dealt with who is spamming your topic. If you want you can even make it private after a certain number of people have joined. ZOMG Logix. Shocked

5. TALK RIGHT. This isn't chat tiem, this is serious interweb time. Either do this.

Flavio: BY FLURRIES MELONS! *Shot*

Or this.

"BY FLURRIES MELONS!" Flavio exclaimed as he was shot at by a rather large gorilla dressed as a European trout.

So basically : or "" for talking. ** or regular text for actions. Ok? Rolling Eyes

TEH IMPORTANZOR TIPS:

1. Try to be creative. Some of the best RPs are based off of original ideas. Not only does it give everyone the chance to create their own unique character, but it also gives you an entire universe to shape to your every whim. Try to inject some life into your characters and settings and you will have a much better time.

2. When fighting don't be an ass. If you are fighting someone who is a much better RPer than you, and you are getting your ass handed to you, lose. I know, it's a shocking idea but you don't get to win every fight. In tournament RPs there is usually a judge, but in other RPs in this an inefficient method that may conflict with the plot. You will lose, but if you never lose you will never learn to be a better fighter. Believe it or not it takes experience to become good at these arenas of text, and you will have to perfect both your skills as a role player and strategist to become the best.

3. Have a freakin plot. As stated before, try to have some goal or treasure waiting at the end of the journey and some obstacles along the way. Storytelling is a critical part of a good RP, and mastering it is the key to making a good Role play people will enjoy.

4. Make a character sheet. If you bust out some special power in the middle of a fight, chances are some one is going to cry foul. I understand that in some cases it is a part of the plot, but other times it's just plain godmoding. I recommend the author's of the RPs make these based on their thread, but if not each participant can make one as well. Here is a simple example.

Name:
Fighting Style:
Appearance:
History:

Not too hard is it? Of course you can go more simple or more complex, but this is a simple sheet suited to almost any RP. Not only will this clearly outline your characters capabilities, but it will also let the other people in the RP get to know your character better before starting. It's just one more way to take your RP from amateur to excellent. Try to save sheets on notepad or word documents for later use, you may thank yourself for doing so.

5. And the most important tip.

FREAKIN WAIT ON PEOPLE!

I can not tell you how many RPs I have seen fail because the group can't wait on someone or enough people to join. The latter is easy, just don't start too soon or your RP might fail. Why? Because if you want more to join latter and you start, they have to read everything that has happened and no one wants to do that. Same goes for leaving people behind. The plot crumbles, arguments ensue, and eventually the entire RP is over.

Just don't do it.

EVAR

TEH IMPORTANZOR IDEAS:

Need ideas before starting your new RP. Here are some to get your going.

Quest Type:

Classic style. A group of adventurers head out on a quest to do something. What that something is is up to you. While this may sound generic, this is the most flexible RP type and you can let your imagination soar. Maybe there are two separate groups of adventurers. Maybe you are evil and trying to take over the world. Be Creative!

Tournament Type:

Basically just a bunch of characters get together to duke it out in front of a judge, usually the topic creator. Can be fun, but you have to be patient since the opponent will always have to wait for a counter from his enemy.

Town/Business/Army Type:

Never seen these outside of the NP RP.

*I MISS U Crying or Very sad*

But they have a distinct style which can be fun in the right hands. Basically just get a group together and pretend to live/work in the same environment. It's kind of like animal crossing in a way. Each is different though and have unique quirks.

In a town everyone may have something different to do, but it is also a very large scale and it may get out of hand if you try to introduce things like shops and other jobs. If you are just starting out try making something similar to a chat room but with RP interactions such as fights and etc.

Businesses can be tricky but fun. Anyone can come into your business as a customer, but you get to choose who gets a job there. Try to be realistic and set opening and closing hours. I have seen it done before and these can be really fun.

Army is really the same as a business, but with weapons. Very Happy Try setting up things like ranks and different areas of the base. This is by far my favorite of the three and if you get creative with them they can be very fun.

Pocky Fights:

Example:

Fawful: OMG! *Drives an X-Wing into the bar*

Naruto: WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU! *Sets self on fire*

Random guy: I like Popsicles *Eats a marshmallow*

Random guy 2: For that, YOU MUST DIE! *Shoots joo*

Believe it or not, it that's just the tip of the iceberg. Basically, someone starts a fight for absolutely no reason and then everyone joins in as any character they want with little to no explanation of anything except you want the people who aren't you to die. I give it an A+ for awesomesauce.

Guides coming soon for:

School Type Wink

More when I remember them. (Give me a break, it's been like a freakin year since I really RPed Mad)

*Extra Credit: I actually pulled one of those moves in a Pocky Fight once. Guess which one it is.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Token Nazi?
Zelnor

HP: 10 MP: 7 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:30 am   Reply with quote

Seems pretty justified, although in your case I would have added "Extra Rule: Check your spelling and grammar, you'd be amazed how much more professional your story then looks and how much more accepted it gets. "

Else, good - Although I disagree with your choice of Pocky Fights the best. I personally hate "Spam RPs".
Twilit Mall: Zelnor Mart    
High Priestess Paula
Count_Bleck

HP: 30 MP: 2 Lives: 9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:31 am   Reply with quote

Maya slowly clapped "You know, I think popple actually did something cool."
Lapin Angelique    
Para

HP: 99 MP: 6 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:37 am   Reply with quote

But in all seriousness, this should noticeably straighten out the structure of the RP board.

Token Nazi?
Zelnor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:24 am   Reply with quote

In that second, next to Zelnor, a swirling particle storm of twilight was conjured. The dust on the ground rose into the air and then every little rock, every grain of sand lost its form and rose as one of the black rectangles.
Runes glowing on his cloak, eyes shut, deeply in concentration, Zelnor reached out. The Twilight swarmed up his arm and swirled around the magician. Then, with a slowly and ominously latin incantation, the pieces reacted instantly. As is imploding together, they gathered and blasted into each other. With a final word, they erupted into matter.

On Zelnors' outstretched palm a small, sugary white frosted chocolate cake sat, complete wit ha candle, over which, in a aparent self-parody instead of a flame a pice of Twilgiht stilll rotated.

On the frosting was writtien, with dark sugar icing "Happz Rebirth, Role Plazing."

((Anyone here reviewing my style ? I think I "vomit" out too much descriptive / overly romantic writing. Reviews are appreciated !
As my father says, a critique is the best give someone can make you - He shows you how to be [in his eyes, at least] better.))
Typhoon
Typhoon™
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:05 am   Reply with quote

Popple wrote:

So basically : or "" for talking. ** or regular text for actions. Ok? Rolling Eyes

Actually, there are some people who use -- for text actions ;;
Ornaments    
Addicted to linebreaks
Plastic Mario
Vampire

HP: 94 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:09 am   Reply with quote

Popple wrote:
"BY FLURRIES MELONS!" Flavio exclaimed as he was shot at by a rather large gorilla dressed as a European trout.

And thus, Popple actually said something awesome.
Fiberglass World    
Token Nazi?
Zelnor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:47 am   Reply with quote

I feel offended by the mention of an european trout.

Plastic, ban Popple please.

[/Mocking those people who made you stop saying Christmas. But I am an european, so I can say it ! "CHRISTMAS ! CHRISTMAS ! CHRIIIIIST~MAAAAAS !"]
That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

HP: 88 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:25 pm   Reply with quote

I'm thinking of starting a new plot. I don't know why. It didn't work out too well last time.

I maaaaaaaay revive crystalis.
pure-???'s shop of spells.    
Super ShadowArticuno

HP: 99 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:38 pm   Reply with quote

My attempt to start a Fusion sequel didn't work.

I'll read this over again, and revive the old one. But this time, Chaos Dimentio ISN'T taking over.

Hmm... I'm tempted to start a business RP...
A Bucket of Stuff    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:13 pm   Reply with quote

*Smacks Zelnor*

YOU DARE DOUBT THE PWNZORNESS OF POCKY!?
Popple's Secret Hideout    
That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

HP: 88 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:35 pm   Reply with quote

Popple wrote:
*Smacks Zelnor*

indeed. anyone who does not love complete insanity is... well, rather ironically, insane.
pure-???'s shop of spells.    
Addicted to linebreaks
Plastic Mario
Vampire

HP: 94 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:33 pm   Reply with quote

Pure-??? wrote:
Popple wrote:
*Smacks Zelnor*

indeed. anyone who does not love complete insanity is... well, rather ironically, insane.

Holy crap, that... somehow... makes sense.
Fiberglass World    
I AM TAYL
Mona

HP: 85 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:52 pm   Reply with quote

Using the powers of pizza; Mona declared this topic both rational and epic!

Cash plx.
Cashplx Land!    
(no title nessicary)
EvilShadow777
Vampire

HP: 45 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:06 am   Reply with quote

Can we get back to the guide? It's not epic unless I get to master hand and someone is fighting me...then mario comes in I zap him popple uses RP powers turns into an orc slaughters mario then I shoot at him he dodges then zant comes in and stabs him and hes on the ground bleeding and mona starts shooting pepperoni out of her hands and and... oh srry went off topic!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Role-Play