digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

[Review] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews
? Block
Fancy Wario

HP: 69 MP: 8 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:49 pm   Reply with quote

About a week and a half ago, I was debating whether it would be worth it or not to import Phantom Hourglass. I assumed that it would be coming out in the states in November or December, and I couldn't wait that long - after all, I didn't want to be spoiled for it. So, I decided to go ahead and import it.

Ironically enough, it was announced that Phantom Hourglass would be coming out on October 1st the very day I got the game. I didn't mind, though. I had it, and that was all that mattered.

I opened the package eagerly, and popped the game into my DS. So began the start of yet another legend...a legend of Zelda.

One of the first things I thought upon seeing the opening cutscene was "Wow, that looks great!" Indeed, the graphics are among the best on the DS. At times, they even look Gamecube-quality...an impressive feat, obviously. Unfortunately, though, some of the closeups look a bit on the cheesy side. Thankfully, you get used to Link's odd-looking face very quickly, which helps to diminish the impact.

The music, however, is a mixed bag. Some of the tracks, such as Lineback's theme, are nothing short of amazing. Others, such as the overworld theme on land, or the dungeon theme, are extremely dull and repetitive. Unfortunately, the bad far outnumber the good, so you'll be stuck with boring background music most of the time.

Prior to the game's release, the controls were a subject of extreme controversy on Internet forums. Many cited Animal Crossing: Wild World as proof why the controls wouldn't work. While I found the stylus controls in said game to work fine, I could see where people were coming from. When the game finally came, I prepared for the worst...only to find that the controls were even better than I possibly could have hoped. There is just a slight learning curve, though; it might take you a little while to figure out how to roll (tap the edge of the screen twice). You simply point where you want Link to move, and he moves in that direction. To execute a sword slash, simply make a small swiping motion. When you get the boomerang, you actually get to draw its path, something that feels great the first few times you do it.

Of course, a game is nothing without gameplay, and Phantom Hourglass has that in abundance. While it's certainly not perfect, you WILL be having fun most of the time. Combat is great when you're not facing the weaker enemies. Some of the larger enemies require strategy to face, and are puzzles within themselves. You will feel like you've accomplished something when you've beaten them for the first time. Even after that, you still feel a distinct sense of pride.

At sea, you're mostly just waiting to get to where you want to go, occasionally lobbing a bomb at an enemy. While it is more action-packed than The Wind Waker, it still is rather dull. Luckily, the sea is smaller this time around, so you don't have to wait as long to get to where you're going. In addition, you eventually find a way to warp around the four sections of the map, so the travel time is cut down.

Puzzles are a mixed bag, but they're mostly good. Dungeons 1, 5, 6, and 7 all have clever puzzles, while dungeons 2, 3, and 4 are decidedly simple and boring. The main dungeon, the Sea King's Temple, doesn't really have puzzles; it's actually a stealth dungeon. This can be a huge pain in the neck, to be honest. For one thing, you only have a limited amount of time outside the safe zones. Even when you're in those zones, you often have to wait for the s l o w moving Phantoms to move by. The Phantoms, if they see you, will attack you, sending you back to the start of the room, and taking 30 seconds off your timer. And, to top it off, they're invincible for most of the game, too.

Despite these problems, I must reiterate that the game IS fun. While dungeons 2, 3, and 4 may have their problems, there are some good puzzles in them amongst all the crap.

However, some of the good dungeons are simply too short, and some of the ideas expressed in them don't have much of a chance to shine. I cleared dungeon 5, for example, in under ten minutes, if I remember correctly. This shouldn't be the case; a dungeon should take at least fifteen minutes. Unfortunately, dungeon 5 isn't the only short dungeon.

The bosses of the dungeons, like the dungeons themselves, are a mixed bag. Some of them are ridiculously obvious, while others will require some creative thinking on your part. Despite this, however, they have great atmosphere, and I enjoyed most of them.

At the very beginning of the game, which picks up where The Wind Waker left off, Link, Tetra, and the rest of the pirates are searching for a ghost ship which has supposedly been terrorizing the waters around those parts. Not two minutes pass before this ship appears before them. Tetra, unafraid of it, hops aboard and disappears from sight as fog encloses the ship. A shriek is heard from her, and Link attempts to come to the rescue...but falls into the water. He washes up on the shores of a mysterious island, where he is woken up by a fairy named Sierra.

The story is quite interesting, but you don't find out what it is until halfway through the game...and then, the whole thing is explained to you. After that, you know exactly what is going on, and there are no more surprises concerning the story itself. Instead, you're surprised by the things that occur. You will be surprised by the last few bosses, I'm sure...unless you were spoiled beforehand.

The characters are all excellent. All of the main characters, with the exception of Lineback (who makes up for it with his awesomeness) have some secret that you could never guess at until it's revealed.

I must also praise Phantom Hourglass for finally having successfully integrated multiplayer into the Zelda series. One player controls Link, while the other controls three Phantoms. Link must grab the Triforce pieces scattered across the area and bring them back to his base, while avoiding the Phantoms. The player controlling the Phantoms must draw a path for them on the map. However, once the path is drawn, they can't change directions until the Phantom has completed its journey. While the person controlling the Phantoms can see where Link is on the map at any time, as long as he isn't in a safe zone, Link can only see the Phantoms when he's holding a Triforce piece. It makes for some interesting strategies, and it is quite enjoyable, though not so much as the single player.

So, phenomenal graphics, mixed music, mostly great gameplay, interesting story and characters, and the first successful multiplayer for this series. That is what makes up this game. I certainly don't regret importing it, but I will definitely be grabbing the English version, if only to understand the nuances of the story. I recommend you do the same, to be honest, although this suggestion may be obsolete by the time you read it. While it's an excellent game, I'm sure that you could appreciate it so much more in English.

Final Verdict: 93/100 (A-)

Last edited by Fancy Wario on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ashdgbdsahvdsajghdasvgsahdvsagsa    
Better than yours
Myst

HP: 20 MP: 4 Lives: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:54 pm   Reply with quote

Great review! I definitely want to pick this game up.
Myst's Ownage Shop    
WHO HA HOO HEY HOOM
Paper Luigi
Vampire

HP: 1 MP: 7 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:56 pm   Reply with quote

I am SO getting this game! AUGH! Nice review.
PaperLuigi's Inconvienence Store    
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:01 pm   Reply with quote

I forgot a few details, so I updated the review.
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:15 pm   Reply with quote

Great review! One thing you didn't really discuss much is the length the game. You seem to have beat the game in a very short time. How large is the game? Is it mostly linear or does it feel open like a Zelda game "should" be. For example, I loved Link's Awakening, it was a long and very detailed. Is this on the same or similar level? (I noticed you ranked this your third favorite Zelda).
Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
Blue Eyes wins.
Captain Blue

HP: 95 MP: 10 Lives: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:26 pm   Reply with quote

I'm just gonna wait for the USA version...

cool
Lord Bob
Vampire

HP: 61 MP: 8 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:29 pm   Reply with quote

You said you got it on october first... It's not even August yet. EXPLANATION PLOX!
NON BANNER    
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:33 pm   Reply with quote

Francis wrote:
Great review! One thing you didn't really discuss much is the length the game. You seem to have beat the game in a very short time. How large is the game? Is it mostly linear or does it feel open like a Zelda game "should" be. For example, I loved Link's Awakening, it was a long and very detailed. Is this on the same or similar level? (I noticed you ranked this your third favorite Zelda).

It's definitely not linear, no. For most of the game, you can go wherever you want...provided you have the sea chart for the quadrant, of course. As for the length, the main game is rather short...about 15 hours, I believe (I didn't keep track of the time). We'll have to see how long getting 100% takes.

bobthelemon wrote:
You said you got it on october first... It's not even August yet. EXPLANATION PLOX!

I said it was coming out in the states on October 1st, and that that was announced on the day that I got the Japanese version (July 2nd).
WHO HA HOO HEY HOOM
Paper Luigi
Vampire

HP: 1 MP: 7 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:34 pm   Reply with quote

bobthelemon wrote:

He got it a week ago. The USA version's on October 1st.
PaperLuigi's Inconvienence Store    
cool
Lord Bob
Vampire

HP: 61 MP: 8 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:34 pm   Reply with quote

? Block wrote:
Francis wrote:

It's definitely not linear, no. For most of the game, you can go wherever you want...provided you have the sea chart for the quadrant, of course. As for the length, the main game is rather short...about 15 hours, I believe (I didn't keep track of the time). We'll have to see how long getting 100% takes.

bobthelemon wrote:

I said it was coming out in the states on October 1st, and that that was announced on the day that I got the Japanese version (July 2nd).

Ohhh... That wasn't really clarified.
NON BANNER    
Larry Koopa
Sam

HP: 35 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:47 am   Reply with quote

BO! i wanted to see some 100s

jking, good review
Koop    
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:09 pm   Reply with quote

Necropost since this is relevant again.
Kefka

HP: 100 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:51 pm   Reply with quote

And an impressive necro-post it is.
Kefka's Tower O' Doom    
Larry Koopa
Sam

HP: 35 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:30 pm   Reply with quote

i dont care what reviewers say, im gettin this game with no doubt
Koop    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:10 am   Reply with quote

I'll probably get it eventually, I'm not clawing down the door for it though.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews