digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Post Your Intial Impressions/Mini-Review
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:00 pm   Reply with quote

Ok alot of us have a little time to play Brawl. Post your initial mini-review here!

Presentation:
Whats up with the silent title screen? I was expecting a "SUPER SMAAAAH BROTHERS!!!!!". Menus are clean and to-the-point. Some features/optoins are hard to find. There is apparently no way to rename your save profile Sad Load times are kinda bad. It takes about 5 seconds to load a stage to play. I wish you didnt have to unlock so many characters like Sonic and Snake who arn't even secret characters. The official site doesnt even tell you how to unlock them.

Graphics:
Nothing too impressive. On the surface, they don't appear to be much better than Melee although its been a while since I have played it. Lots of jaggies. Widscreen is nice. I still hate the fire and explostion effects.

Gameplay:
I never could get used to any of the new control schemes so it's Wavebird all the way. Overall it feels better than Melee, but much like Melee, I still find the attacks to be underwhelming (everything feels more like a slap than a punch). I'm not a big tournament player or anything, so I dont know anything about balanced movesets, but no character seemed to have any major advantage. Some of the new characters, like Olimar, are really hard to use (or maybe Im just using him wrong)

Singleplayer
Havnt played too much of this, but Classic is typical, and actually seemed a little short. Emissary appears to be really long and drawn out. Fighting through the same enemies gets old, but im not that far, so hopefully they change it up some.

Multiplayer
Lots of fun, and all the new Assist Trophies and Final Smashes really make things more exciting. The Rotation feature is relaly nice when you have more than 4 players. I have not tried Online yet, but I like the feaatures they have. Taunt messages are better than nothing i guess.

Overall
It's everything I expected it to be, but not more than that. I still don't feel at home with any character, but I expect it to get better over time.
Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
Super Cyber Mario
Burning Vampire

HP: 60 MP: 7 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:28 pm   Reply with quote

Game play: First off, the load times are very annoying, quite slow. But overall control is great. However, with the menus I was surprised that you had to use the control pad, and not point and click system. The fighting is great with the Wiimote sideways, the only thing I didn't like was the B button. It is very hard to get at. I was also expecting a giant "SUPER SMASH BROTHERS!" at the title screen...

Graphics: Quite good for the average Wii title. Good, polished. I really liked them, thought they were good.

Single Player: When playing CPU in Brawl mode it can be fun. But SSE is very repetitive. Boring actually. I am completing it only to unlock the characters and for the great movie clips. It is fun for the first few hours, but then gets old.

Multilayer : The best part of the game by far. Online play is laggy though Crying or Very sad. Playing a friend is the best though, the more the better. This is quite obvious, as this is the whole point of Brawl.

Overall: A great game, I loved the graphics and play was smooth, with few flaws. I would recommend this game to every Wii owner. Epically those who love multi player party games.
Cyber Shop    
Honorable
Grandosco

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:32 pm   Reply with quote

Presentation:
I agree with Francis, I want a SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAAAAAAWL!!!! on the title screen, but oh well, could be worse. The new menus are nice and sharp, pretty good. Load times can get annoying, but I don't mind them much. Yeah, kinda weird they have Sonic and Snake as unlockables, but I'll get them eventually. (I heard you only need to play Shadow Moses Island 10 times or something and meet him in SSE to get Snake *shrugs*) Also, never thought Marth and Falco would be so easy to get >.> Anyway...

Graphics:
Pretty good, yeah not much different from Melee, but if it ain't broke, why fix it? The cutscenes are definately better though. (Course there weren't any cutscenes in Melee, but the opening is awesome.)

Gameplay:
The Wiimote controls are hard, but good ol' Gamecube comes through fine. I don't mind the supposed "weaker hits" thing. I still like plenty about this. Olimar, and for me, Meta Knight might take some practice, but I'll get it eventually. I was actually surprised, I've played Olimar, and he plays pretty well o.o

Singleplayer:
Classic mode is still there, though it seems longer, not shorter. Eh, maybe it's just me. SSE is very long, and sometimes a bit too hard for me. Well, maybe not like that, it's just, so many enemies at once, and they're all really strong :/ Very fun though. I read "unininspired enemies," but I don't really think that's true. Last night, I was amazed at a certain boss's unique moves. Was laughing to myself "UNINSPIRED?!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!" My goodness, that was insane =p

Multiplayer:
As expected, very entertaining, and final smashes are awesome ^^ At first, I couldn't get online, but when I did, I found it cool. Unfortunately, even though the screen didn't lag, my controls did. It might be my internet connection (though I did win twice out of like, three or four times?) but my controls lagged for about a half to a full second, and I was upset that I couldn't play my best because of that. Like, my attacks were missing a LOT, and it was just annoying. Hopefully it will correct itself in time. I also had a hilarious experience while playing Wi-Fi. I was on the Halberd, I was playing as Marth, and we had just landed on the deck. Someone got a Pokeball, and Ho-Oh came out. The cannon was charging its laser (XD), and I was unfortunate enough to get hit by Ho-Oh's attack. So, I get hit like thirty times with fire, and then I get OWNED by the laser just as the fire attack stopped. LOL, right? The best part is, I STILL won the match =p

Overall:
The only thing I didn't expect was the length of SSE. I haven't beaten it yet, but it is long. I really hope you don't have to beat it twice to unlock stuff :/ I think it's a very fun game that I will definately enjoy playing for a long while.

That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

HP: 88 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:47 pm   Reply with quote

It's a great game. I'm trying to get online to work, but noones actually ending up in my fights, so I'll have to track down a friend code of someone on this site. most likely CBluigi.
pure-???'s shop of spells.    
Poison
Super Postman
Jailed Vampire
Jailed

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:56 pm   Reply with quote

Presentation:The menu Cool Crisp, almost Futuristic... In the Buck rogers sense of the word ( when not in the action its kinda boring) seems like an extension of the Wii menu, I guess appropriate. as for the general presentation of the characters, still nothing beats pitting Mario against Sonic on Shadow Moses Island, the game retains its "What if" style by keeping the integrity and feel to respective worlds.

Graphics:
Prettier than Melee, Pixilation is slightly smoother. not much difference though. The Stages actually have the best visual style in the game.

Gameplay: The game feels more Controlled, Defiantly more user friendly. Wall jumps are easier, classic abusable Moves from Melee have been nerfed and the new characters are fun to play as. the game feels a lot lighter, than Melee. A lot of the "lower teir" -shudders- Characters were enhanced Most notably Bowser. Balancing the game some.

Singleplayer
Subspace Emissary is long, but rewarding ( especially if you didn't spoil the Cutscenes) Intense mode is surprisingly less tough than I thought. however the Computer opponents have a more "human" feel to them.

Multiplayer:

What the game is known for, Excellent defiantly. Some final smashes seem broken some last too long. What ticks me off is the ratio of certain Items to Smash balls In some matches I would get 4 smash balls, 2 poke'balls And 1 assist trophy (if I was lucky)

Overall:
I Love this freaking game. Pro's and Cons aside it kicks so much ass.
Poison's Boutique    
Yoshi
Vampire

HP: 60 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:55 pm   Reply with quote

Presentation: Same effect as Kirby air ride. OOOOLD SCHOOOL.

Graphics: Franis, it's better than melee's graphics, take note on that, but it's sometimes hard to notice, outside of subspace emissary cutscenes where you can see the sewed effect on jeans, and Lucas's jeans with the rips are well designed as well. And if you don't agree with me, watch the beginning of the trailer. It shows melee graphics first, then the light makes them brawl'd.

Gameplay: 'Oh, boo hoo the wii mote, and nunchuck are too hard for my stupid fingers, and I'm not going to take the three minutes it takes to get used to it, because I'm a wuss' YEAH, you go with that. I thought it sucked at first. The controls were terrible, and BAM. When you get the hang of it, it's great. And playing with the gamecube controller makes it super smash bros. melee two, and most deffinately NOT brawl.

Single player: Franis, wrong again. You called classic short. Compare it to melee classic, and you'll find it a tad longer, but they need to bring back board the platforms. DX Plus, the target tests were changed. They're not original anymore. The targets are supposed to teach you how to use the character's moves, then when you get stuck on a target, you try to use moves, and figure at a new thing about a character. You can't learn from this target test, being designed so anyone can do it. Subspace emissary was epic, and decently lengthed. And that was on easy. XD But multi man melee was made too hard. 100 man is near impossible to do. I was brawling for three minutes, and checked to see my amount. I was only halfway done, and the random computer character comes, and KILLS ME. Event matches are better, but some can't be done without multiplayer, which may dissapoint some people who are only children.

Overall:

Epic, but some people don't use the epic correctly.
PSI and more    
Mister I
Almaz

HP: 43 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:44 pm   Reply with quote

Presentation: The game is obviously trying to go for a casual, yet still nostalgic, approach. Overall good. Loaded like a potato bite with features and menus, though most of those become familiar ground within four hours. Load Times actually aren't half as bad as I thought they would be, making the "play on stage 10 times" missions bearable.

Graphics: Good textures, nice backgrounds, slight lighting effects, good particle effects. A drastic improvement from Melee, in my opinion, just looking at Mario and Link. Cutscenes are well-done in a nice style, and each character has its own distinct flavor (Link and TL's bombs, for example). It's able to absorb the cartoony and serious worlds of the characters, find a middleground, and put them all in. Snake even looks at home in Isle Delfino. A good mix.

Music: Overwhelmingly awesome.

Gameplay: While I enjoy the different control schemes, I find the Classic Controller and Wiimote really annoying and generally useless. The Nunchuck combo is my prefered playing style, if only for the freedom that it gives with the direct rumble I love. It feels more like a party game than an intent fighting game now, which is actually an improvement, in my opinion. The air game is greatly improved, as are lag times. It seems that every character can be fun to use in their own unique way. Overall, much better than Melee, which had near-perfect gameplay in my opinion.

Single Player: Classic Mode is a classic. Unfortunately, it's much longer and harder than its SSB and Melee counterparts. It's really more of a hastle to finish than it was in Melee. Event Matches were better in Melee when there was more freedom with the character selection. The different difficulties weren't a very good idea, in my opinion. Stadium's a good hour of fun, then it just becomes boring. All-Star, thankfully, is greatly improved by dividing characters by series. The SSE reminds me of Kirby Super Star, and anything that reminds me of KSS is ALWAYS a good thing. I was never bored and fully captivated during the gameplay. However, I'd have to say that Melee trumps Brawl's single-player experience, no matter how good the SSE was. A shorter classic and more entertaining Event Matches just took the cake rather than an all-new mechanic.

Multiplayer: Considering every Solo event but classic and all-star can be experienced with two players, Brawl has become a perfect party machine. Each level, stage, event, and objective is more fun with a second player that isn't a direct sibling. Brawl is excellent as a multiplayer, much moreso than Melee. And that certainly is saying something!

The Verdict: Brawl is simply the best game on the Wii. I'll probably log more hours into Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, but I'll have a much better, much more long-lasting time with Brawl.
Temple of I    
OH GOD
Manpersonguything
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 8 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:14 pm   Reply with quote

Review:
Better then I expected it am win.
TWEWY Pins    
YagamiMirror
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:05 am   Reply with quote

Shortened Mini-Review:

The game was probably one of the best for the wii, a golden gem indeed. But it seemed not to live up to the hype IMO. Still an awesome game, I'd recommend it to everyone. Great at parties!
Andy's Shack    
Yoshi
Vampire

HP: 60 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:38 am   Reply with quote

I simply must comment on I's oppinion on the graphics now.

It's amazing, simply amazing how they do the blending. Toon link looks at home- in shadow moses! And snake not only looks at home in Isle delfino, but also great sea!

And somehow, I don't understand- But everyone looks decent in electroplankton. That, I can barely understand, with all the strange effect there. Overall, the graphics are astonishing, and you can see effects on characters we've never seen before. Toon link's whit pants are quite cheaply sewn.
PSI and more    
Searching For Tippi
mikeytrend

HP: 95 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:07 pm   Reply with quote

Presentation:
Overall, it's a little kiddish, but it's great because it makes it super easy to navigate the menus. The intro movie is great, and it dynamically updates as you unlock more characters, and I love the orchestral music.

Graphics:
Much better than previous games, and many other wii games in general. I was very surprised at their attention to detail.

Gameplay:
The same gameplay we've grown to love multiplied by a thousand. Tons of new levels, characters, and items. I love all of the items added except I feel the the assist trophy is a play off of the pokéball and that the final smash and dragon are cheap shots that I don't always enjoy.

Singleplayer
Classic mode is great as always, but Subspace is an interesting concept. It had a great story line to integrate all the characters into one game, but I didn't enjoy the last level, I thought it was a weak way to end the game.

Multiplayer
The best part about brawl is that pretty much everything has a Co-Op mode, so if you're hanging out with a friend, you can work together to unlock things. Multiplayer was great, but the lack of voice support was disappointing. Also, I really wish nintendo would've stuck with a single FC code that was the Wii Console's number, but no as usual they have to be child friendly and issue a separate FC.

Overall
I think the game was a little more over-hyped than it was acutally worth. Granted it will provide me with hours of entertainment with friends especially now that online is on it's way (but it does need some work, it's terribly slow right now). And I'm looking forward to seeing where nintendo will go based off of this game. Can't wait for mario kart! :]
Tippington's    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:03 am   Reply with quote

The graphics were a step up from Melee, and that's all I expected. Nothing spectacular aside from the cinema scenes.

Singleplayer was disappointing. I was expecting more cameos from classic Nintendo characters. When I saw the first trailer of SSE with Petey and the ROBs, I expected this to be an explosion of all things Nintendo, potentially large enough to change all life as we know it. Instead it was enough to possibly change Kenya. That's still ok though.

Also it played too much like a Kirby game.

Couldn't have expected anymore from muliplayer. Not to mention my hopes for wifi were extremely low and Nintendo managed to deliever. Although it does have some bugs with things like Spectator mode and voice chat would have perfected it, it is still the most we could have expected from them.

Local Muliplayer on the other hand is perfect. Great new stages, tons of options, and enough new characters to make Smash Bros. new and exciting all over again. I can't help but feel it's missing a little something, a new battle type maybe? When it's all said and done though, you have to admit that this is the reason we will still have our Wii's hooked up seven years from now.

As for extra content, I could not be more satisfied. Trophies are better than ever with the lottery gone. I did not use stickers at all in SSE, but I still like looking at them as some of the references go deep into Nintendo lore. The new Challenge mode is probably the greatest *crag* thing that has ever happened in terms of single player. Where as single player got pretty stale after running adventure and classic a few times on Melee, the challenges are injecting new life into the single player each time a new block opens up. I swear, this is much more addictive than Xbox Live. I'm literally thinking of new ways to cheat the system to unlock more content.

Finally verdict is a 9.5/10.

SSE was disappointing, but aside from that there is little wrong with Brawl. An obvious must buy for all Wii owners.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Ohh, THAT makes sense!
Tyler
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 2 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:04 pm   Reply with quote

Popple wrote:

Dude... it was based off of Kirby Super Star...
Tyler's Sexy Shop    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:00 am   Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
Popple wrote:

Dude... it was based off of Kirby Super Star...

Kirby without copying is a mundane platformer that gets old really quick.

A Super Star this ain't.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
TooManyToasters
Paper_Waluigi

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:02 am   Reply with quote

Mister I wrote:
I'll probably log more hours into Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, but I'll have a much better, much more long-lasting time with Brawl.

Agreed. And I was the only one who voted for RD for Digibutter Game of the Year.
asdf    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Super Smash Bros. Brawl