digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

POW Block?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Mario Kart Wii

What do you think about dodging POW Blocks when playing with others on WiFi?
It's cheating!
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
It's fine.
77%
 77%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 18

oar
Super Maiq the Liar

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:05 pm   Reply with quote

Mister I wrote:
Maiq the Liar wrote:
It gives Manual an unfair advantage on WiFi.

You make a conscious decision to play on automatic. Therefore, you make a conscious decision not to have that ability, just like you make the conscious decision to be whatever combo you're best at. You're stating you won't have the ability, but choose to do automatic anyway.

In other words, TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR CHOICES AND STOP BLAMING IT ON THE GAME!

And if you find it difficult to use manual? If you don't have a choice, like the casual gamer(which the Wii supposedly aims for)? Is it fair for someone who has no real choice but to use Automatic because they at least get some benefit rather than none?

It is not M'aiq's fault that Nintendo decided to remove hopping from one of the styles.

You only seem to be thinking of people like yourself and other people who play these games and know all of these things, but M'aiq is thinking more of the people who don't normally play games. Is it really fair to set a handicap against them?
Tamriellic Titles    
Mister I
Almaz

HP: 43 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:12 pm   Reply with quote

Maiq the Liar wrote:
Mister I wrote:
Maiq the Liar wrote:
It gives Manual an unfair advantage on WiFi.

You make a conscious decision to play on automatic. Therefore, you make a conscious decision not to have that ability, just like you make the conscious decision to be whatever combo you're best at. You're stating you won't have the ability, but choose to do automatic anyway.

In other words, TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR CHOICES AND STOP BLAMING IT ON THE GAME!

And if you find it difficult to use manual? If you don't have a choice, like the casual gamer(which the Wii supposedly aims for)? Is it fair for someone who has no real choice but to use Automatic because they at least get some benefit rather than none?

It is not M'aiq's fault that Nintendo decided to remove hopping from one of the styles.

You only seem to be thinking of people like yourself and other people who play these games and know all of these things, but M'aiq is thinking more of the people who don't normally play games. Is it really fair to set a handicap against them?

Well, it's pretty obvious that advanced players will use more advanced techniques, such as the POW Block Dodge. And, as SSG said, POW Block dodgers STILL lose whatever item they're holding in the process. Casual gamers, though they may get lucky with items sometimes, will still not match up to the skill of the hardcore in the end. Though a balanced game would be ideal, it feels really upsetting to disable a feature for people who can do it well. And when people online see this thing that they can't do, they'll do one of two things:

1. Get really pissed off, call it cheap, and complain about it to their friends or to a message board

or

2. Improve, try it out, attempt to learn something new and step into waters unknown, like Nintendo would like them to.

I find that automatic is more of a simple learning curve: it makes some courses much easier, but manual improves overall skill and times very well, albet it's more difficult to use. Therefore, automatic feels more like a "training engine", if you will.

Also, casuals should REALLY not be getting as emotional as you over a simple feature they probably won't notice for a long time. And online play's evil for competitive casuals, since there's probably some hardcore guy a little bit better than them.
Temple of I    
oar
Super Maiq the Liar

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:26 pm   Reply with quote

M'aiq is anything but a casual gamer, if you hadn't noticed. M'aiq just happens to feel that if a console is supposedly going to be accessible by everyone, the main games thay have should at least be fair, or have a handicap option so it can be fair for some people. It's really difficult trying to make mistakes on purpose so your mother can win a few games without her noticing the deception.
Tamriellic Titles    
Mister I
Almaz

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:46 pm   Reply with quote

...isn't that the whole point of items? Isn't that the whole point of Blue Shells being so *crag*ing annoying and the *crag*ing Bullet Bill and the *crag*ing Lightning item?

...I'm sorry, I'm really feeling upset right now, so sorry if I offended you in any way, Maiq. But...really, it's just a way to reward hardcore gamers that know their Mario Kart and can do some timing. Can't you let us off with what little dignity the item *crag*ing leaves us? XD
Temple of I    
LOL I just lost the game!
Tiptron MKII

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:41 pm   Reply with quote

Well, it seems unfair to the new guys that barely even got the game. You know, people that only have 5000VR points need a chance to win too. But that's what I believe. So I'm not blaming the game am I?

Mister I
Almaz

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:45 pm   Reply with quote

Tiptron MKII wrote:
Well, it seems unfair to the new guys that barely even got the game. You know, people that only have 5000VR points need a chance to win too. But that's what I believe. So I'm not blaming the game am I?

The people with 5000VR points that are just starting the game could be just as good as the people with over 9000VR points. You, indeed, aren't blaming the game, but you're asking for a handicap, which is unreasonable online.
Temple of I    
Tiptron MKII

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:13 pm   Reply with quote

Ahh... I see what you are saying. Sorry if I seem kinda out of it today. I'm really tired.... DX

Mister I
Almaz

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:17 pm   Reply with quote

That's totally alright, I'm completely exhausted myself. XD
Temple of I    
Tiptron MKII

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:21 pm   Reply with quote

Mister I wrote:
That's totally alright, I'm completely exhausted myself. XD
Thanks. I'm not in this boat alone.... XD

Mandew
Manjew

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:07 pm   Reply with quote

Automatic still has its own advantages that Manual doesn't have. Manual has its advantages over Automatic.

The short hop is actually quite a casual advantage. It's mostly useful in Shy Guy Beach to leap onto the small lines of Water.

I'm always using Automatic, and I don't complain.
Wario Land Shop!    
Mister I
Almaz

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:06 am   Reply with quote

Wait...I just dodged two POW Blocks with the Piranha Prowler on 50cc using automatic (sister's file). @.@

That is all.
Temple of I    
Yoshi
Vampire

HP: 60 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:29 pm   Reply with quote

With pow blocks, I usually find some way to jump. I always find myself stopping so a pow block doesn't make me fall off rainbow road.
PSI and more    
Tiptron MKII

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:30 pm   Reply with quote

The only way I know how do dodge a POW Block is by shaking the Wiimote like crazy right when it's about to hit. It's kinda like doing a trick I guess.

Hellza Ballza
Goron Mask
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:57 pm   Reply with quote

No it isn't, it's called A TACTIC people, get use to it. And besides POW blocks are over powered.
Some store that sells shit    
jacking off
Small Sammer Guy

HP: 10 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:59 pm   Reply with quote

Mister I wrote:
Wait...I just dodged two POW Blocks with the Piranha Prowler on 50cc using automatic (sister's file). @.@

That is all.

Both Karts and Bikes can dodge POW blocks in the same way.
Baby Shop    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Mario Kart Wii