digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

There needs to be a Final Fantasy movie.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming
Cid
Lord Krump

HP: 60 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:38 am   Reply with quote

I want to see a Final Fantasy movie based directly on a game and not be a sequel or spin-off, and there's no better game to base a movie on than the most popular one in the series.

Advent Children was a disappointment. Although a decent movie, it failed to please me in the way that I expected- I saw more in FFVII than "typical anime," which is what Advent Children was. No, FFVII was classier than that- it had a complex plot, wasn't as cheesy as other anime-styled games, and referenced real world problems.

Everything about FFVII was great. The writing, gameplay, music, and overall atmosphere was great. Advent Children failed to produce the image of the dirty, rusty, and grimey Midgar as good as the Midgar FFVII introduced to us, and failed to contrast the beauty of natural environments with the overpopulated, unhappy dystopia created by the hands of man.

I want to see a Final Fantasy VII movie, and not one that relies on gimmicky fight scenes and caters to fanboys and fangirls alone. More importantly, I want to see the main characters wearing ragged, dirty clothes and not fancy fashions like they had in Advent Children.

Maybe a trilogy. That would work well. Maybe they should drop the "VII" as well, as non-fans wouldn't get confused over the title.

Well, anyway, here's who I think will represent the characters well. Post your cast ideas, and I'll add suggestions that I agree with to this list. Note- we're looking for look-alikes, but hairstyles aren't a problem with good make-up artists and hairdressers.

CAST-

Cloud- Christian Bale.

Biggs and Wedge (Wedge left, Biggs right in this image)- Here.

Sephiroth- This guy. Seriously, the villain in Hellboy 2 looks alot like Sephiroth. Alter the look a bit, and you got a live action Sephiroth that doesn't look cheesy. So, get what's-his-face to play Sephiroth, and we're squared away.

Tifa- Angelina Jolie. Obviously.

Barret- Michael Clarke Duncan. His look would be slightly different; he'd be bald, but with a goatee. Mr. T.'s a little too old, and this guy would work. Tell me if you think of a better Barret.

President Shinra- Jack Nicholson. Before you call me crazy, think about it, for a bit- the image of Jack Nicholson in a dark red business suit commanding a juggernaut of an energy corporation with a civilized personality but with an iron fist would make for an excellent primary villain in the first film of an FFVII trilogy. Now, Shinra is a Japanese name, but let's look at it this way- Midgar and Wutai are on opposite sides of the world, and Shinra seems as though it has existed in Midgar for a while. Maybe the movie can change things up a bit or add some extra lore; maybe President Shinra's ancestors were immigrants from Wutai, and set up the company a few generations back. That would help explain why he would have a Japanese last name.

Rufus Shinra- Aaron Eckhart. He was perfect in 'The Dark Knight' as the charismatic DA gone bad, and I'm sure that he would be perfect as a leader that the public loves, but who is actually cynical and insane deep-down.

Reno- Cillian Murphy.

Rude- Vin Diesel.

Vincent- Johnny Depp.

Aerith/Aeris- Maggie Gylenhaal.

Palmer- Because he makes movies more awesome.

Reeve- With a beard, of course.
The Highwind Goods Store    
Larry Koopa
Sam

HP: 35 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:28 am   Reply with quote

Advent Childen was a little dissapointed, but I only watched it for the memorable characters.
Koop    
Larry Koopa
Sam

HP: 35 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:33 am   Reply with quote

Cloud- I know you like Batman, but Christian Bale? HELL NO.

Biggs and Wedge (Wedge left, Biggs right in this image)- Lulz.

Sephiroth- Pretty decent.

Tifa- I would kill myself if Angelina was Tifa.

Barret- Pretty decent.

President Shinra- Meh.

Rufus Shinra- Perfect.

Reno- O.O

Rude- OK, but could be better.

Vincent- lulz, mabbe.

Aerith/Aeris- Yup.

Palmer- O.o

Reeve- OH GOD.
Koop    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:31 am   Reply with quote

Doesn't FFVII have far too many sequels as it is?
The Town of Lix    
That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

HP: 88 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:10 am   Reply with quote

There is one very important reason Advent children was a disappointment: It was a movie based on a video game. Name a movie based on a video that is good. I dare you. There isn't.

And I know someone who would beg to differ with you on "Everything about FFVII being great."

Besides myself, I'm friends with someone who regards it as the worst final fantasy.
Anyway the point is, there has never and will never be a good movie based on a video game. it just won't happen. Video games are fun because you get to immerse yourself. You're part of the fictional world it takes place in.
pure-???'s shop of spells.    
hai
Spiny

HP: 100 MP: 6 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:15 pm   Reply with quote

Pure-??? wrote:
There is one very important reason Advent children was a disappointment: It was a movie based on a video game. Name a movie based on a video that is good. I dare you. There isn't.

The only reason this is so is because of conflicting opinions.
Try thinking about all sides of the argument before talking please.
Gemstone Goods    
That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:35 pm   Reply with quote

Spiny wrote:
Pure-??? wrote:

The only reason this is so is because of conflicting opinions.
Try thinking about all sides of the argument before talking please.

Confused

Uh... Conflicting opinions? All sides of an argument?

I'm serious. There aren't any good video game based movies And I think I've already said why. >_>
Cid
Lord Krump

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:57 pm   Reply with quote

On fire! wrote:
Doesn't FFVII have far too many sequels as it is?

You probably didn't read my post. Obviously, that's why we're talking about a movie that isn't a sequel.

Quote:
And I know someone who would beg to differ with you on "Everything about FFVII being great."

You can beg to differ, and I understand that people are entitled to their own opinions over which game is the best. But it is impossible for you to provide proof that FFVII is not "great," and if you're not out to do that, why bring this up into a discussion about a Final Fantasy movie based on the most successful Final Fantasy game?

Quote:

Besides myself, I'm friends with someone who regards it as the worst final fantasy.

What does that have to do with anything? Most people don't think that way, and besides, which movie would be more profitable? A game based on, say, Final Fantasy II, or a game based on FFVII, the most widely beloved game of the series? Sure, if FFIV was far more popular than FFVII, this thread would have been about an FFIV movie. But that's not the case.

Quote:
I'm serious. There aren't any good video game based movies And I think I've already said why. >_>

And you're wrong. The reason why videogame movies have failed to be good is because the directors and actors either are terrible and don't have a clue about what they are making, don't care about what they're making at all, or making movies based on the wrong games. Making a movie based on an interactive novel such as a Final Fantasy would be far more successful than making a realistic version of Super Mario Bros.

And, immersion into an atmosphere isn't exclusive to videogames. It may be more direct, but every good movie and novel must be capable of drawing you into the fictional world it presents. Otherwise, they would be pointless and boring.

So, yeah, just because it seems like it can't be done doesn't be it absolutely can't be done. For instance, comic book movies were once thought to be cheesy junk movies. Then the likes of Batman Begins, Hellboy, The Dark Knight, and Iron Man came along, showing that they don't have to be shit, but can be great and memorable.
The Highwind Goods Store    
That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:11 pm   Reply with quote

Hellboy was based on a comic? 0.o

Anyway, I was mostly ranting. Sorry. =P

Moooving on...

Good point. Maybe if the people involved did indeed care about the game, it could be good.

But I doubt any of the actors you listed care about it.
Cid
Lord Krump

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:21 pm   Reply with quote

Pure-??? wrote:
But I doubt any of the actors you listed care about it.

If there's a nice, big wad of cash involved, they'd happily care about it.

And that's the thing- Square Enix would have to team up with a movie corporation that can provide a big enough budget to make the movie.

That's the one problem, though. Traditionally, Japanese game developers have been protective of their intellectual properties (Which is understandable), but the idea of a major motion picture Final Fantasy that's based on one of the games (And isn't some boring idea like Spirits Within) is gold. Hopefully Square will, one day, re-consider theatrical release.
The Highwind Goods Store    
jacking off
Small Sammer Guy

HP: 10 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:33 pm   Reply with quote

A FF movie would be great, but not just FFVII. I want other FF like FFXII. I agree that the plots should be more like the game plots though, that would make it even better.
I personally find Adven Children an okay movie. The action was great and all but it could've been better.
Baby Shop    
RULE ONE OF FIGHT CLUB
Steve

HP: 100 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:16 am   Reply with quote

Baby Peach wrote:
A FF movie would be great, but not just FFVII. I want other FF like FFXII. I agree that the plots should be more like the game plots though, that would make it even better.
I personally find Adven Children an okay movie. The action was great and all but it could've been better.
FFXII? Hell yeah.
penis    
Psst...
Die4Less
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 0 Lives: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:20 pm   Reply with quote

That Would Be Cool!
Die4Less Corp.    
bobz
bobzearth42

HP: 10 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:06 pm   Reply with quote

Wait, didn't square give up on movies anyways?

But, if they DO decide on doing something like this, they might wanna make sure they have the right FF. I mean, sure FFVII is widely known throught the gaming community, but the main reason is because it was the first 3D FF and everyone flipped out about it. And there are those who would argue with you that "FFVII suked, VI/IV/IX wuz betar olololo" 'cuz believe it or not, there are also large fanbases for IV, VI, and IX. I think.

Moving on, I also doubt an FF movie would get too much attention. I mean, the only people who would see it at first would be hardcore FF fans, due to other previous video game based movies. If they actually did a good job for once, maybe then they'll tell people, critics'll give it good ratings, ect., ect., but at the rate video game movies are going, it seems unlikely that video games movies will EVER be made again.

'5, I'm done.
bobzearth42's Shop    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming