digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

(Review) Code Lyoko: Fall of X.A.N.A.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews
Wacko McGoose
Launching Star
Jailed
Jailed

HP: 10 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:56 pm   Reply with quote

This is the third game in the Code Lyoko series, the second for the DS, and the only one that's a pure RPG instead of a platformer.

Gameplay: 7/10. The level designs are very interesting, and they look almost like what you'd expect from the show. However, the stylus-only controls essentially suck. Seriously, it would be better if movement was the D-Pad, and the characters had some sort of abilities on the level map, like Ulrich's SuperSprint or Yumi's Telekinesis...

Battles: 9/10. This is the first RPG I've ever played that was real-time instead of turn-based. There's several levels of monsters with different HPs and attack levels. And the special abilities, called Functions, are so epic. Especially in the final battle, when you have to use Special + Combo MAX twice to destroy the Kolossus. However, the Megatank 3 has a nasty habit of only targeting Ulrich...

Variety of enemies: 7/10. They used nearly all the monster types from the show, including the Kolossus from a season four episode that never aired, apparently...

Graphics: 5/10. This is another weak point of the game. While the battles look exactly like what you see on the show, the maps look terrible. The sectors almost look exactly the same, except for what they're made of (for example, you CAN tell the difference between the Forest Sector and the Volcano Replika...). Also, the characters look extremely deformed on the game map, but they look the way they should in the battles.

Story: 8/10. It doesn't go that far away from the storyline of season four of the show, and also follows the Wii game, Quest for Infinity, almost exactly. You have to go to a Replika, then translate to the Supercomputer and fight the level boss. Replika asplodes, and you move on. Only different between Fall of X.A.N.A. and the show is that the show doesn't have the Volcano Replika, but Quest for Inifinity did. The final cutscene after the final boss, when Aelita uses the Multi-Agent Program to destroy thousands of Replikas at once and permanently kill X.A.N.A. once and for all, was pretty cool.

Overall: 7.5/10. The game wasn't a total disappointment, but at the same time, it wasn't mind-blowing. The game is way too linear, but the battles keep it from getting boring. I recommend it only for fans of the show and die-hard RPG fans that don't mind a short game (I completed it in only 11 hours...).
Wacko's BURNINATED Gag Shop    
RaveRaze
Mana7
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:10 pm   Reply with quote

The show started going downhill with the entire finding France Hopper arc
Choco's    
I TROL U
Mantis15

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:04 pm   Reply with quote

Mana7 wrote:
The show started going downhill with the entire finding France Hopper arc
Wasn't that what the entire series was about?

Anyway, I never got into watching season 2...
Relations 'R' Us    
RAWRRAWRRAWRwithtophatlol
Sumakima Josindu

HP: 50 MP: 9 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:41 pm   Reply with quote

I really never even liked the show, let alone the games. I'm just not into stuff like that, but, whatever.

Typhoon
Typhoon™
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:38 am   Reply with quote

I really liked the show. But when I stopped watching it, and when they stopped showing new shows after XANA leaked into the entire internet or something.

Really good show.

That's a really great review, by the way. I would have expected the members to be biased about games and shows they like.
Ornaments    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews