digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

General Character Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mister I
Almaz

HP: 43 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:18 pm   Reply with quote

For some reason, we've been so wrapped up in youtube videos and news, we haven't really discussed any characters in-depth, except for Small Sammer Guy. So, before the fun of seeing which characters "look" good, before discovering they're actually as disappointing as General Grievous, let us discuss them.

I'll start it off with...um...discussing...fast characters. In my opinion, the fastest frenzys are in the hands and feet of Meta Knight and Diddy Kong, Meta Knight having the upper hand. It seems that these two will be good for tag battles with their "big buddies", Dedede and Donkey Kong, respectively. Meta Knight + Dedede seems to be the better human team, as slow people, and Meta Knight for some reason, have lower AI at Level 9 than others.

Anyone else have any impressions on a few characters?
Temple of I    
Tails Doll

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:22 pm   Reply with quote

Well, Lucario's probably going to have some funky range here.
Hell    
Mister I
Almaz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:23 pm   Reply with quote

Sandslash wrote:
Well, Lucario's probably going to have some funky range here.

True, but can it really be longer than Dedede's hammer?
Temple of I    
jacking off
Small Sammer Guy

HP: 10 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:28 pm   Reply with quote

Yes I do, thanks for this topic Mr. I! :D
Let me talk about veterans please? :D Now from the stuff I said from my previous impressions, some were a bit incorrect, so sorry about that people! Apparently a few of the nerfs the veterans received has been fixed, most noticeably Samus' Charge Shot and DK's Giant Punch. Its' been fixed. ^^; Sakurai hasn't really nerfed anyone. The only ones I would say that has been nerfed are those so-called fasty from Melee, especially Fox and Sheik. But this is mostly due to the new engines. Since this isn't Melee, looks like you'll need to create some new strategies thanks to the new engine :D So most veterans remain almost the same, like DK but still you'll need to create some new strategies. So yes Sakurai didn't put in nerfs on any characters on purpose, its really the meanie engines fault. :P
Fast characters still seems to have an upper advantages on 1 on 1 and team battles. They have great combos like Meta Knight and Diddy.
And thanks to the buffs and improvements on heavier characters and the new engine, I'd say the heavies can shine in the spotlight for Brawl too. I believe Sakurai purposely did this in order to balance the characters. So say goodbye to the tiers I hope! :D
Baby Shop    
Mister I
Almaz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:31 pm   Reply with quote

There's no need for thanks. Except to you! I was nervous about using DK again with the Giant Punch nerf, but now that that powerful primate punch is back in place, I'll be confident to use him again.

And no tiers will never happen. There will always be that one crazy guy on Gamefaqs...

Also, who do you guys think will be the worst character? From all impressions, I'd have to say Ganondorf. He seems even SLOWER than in Melee, and with few of the boosts DK, Bowser, and Dedede have.
Temple of I    
Simsmagic
Aggrieved
Vampire

HP: 28 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:41 pm   Reply with quote

Worst character? Toon Link of course. He's an almost exact clone on Link.
Gorgeon's Weapons Shop    
jacking off
Small Sammer Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:42 pm   Reply with quote

Mister I wrote:
There's no need for thanks. Except to you! I was nervous about using DK again with the Giant Punch nerf, but now that that powerful primate punch is back in place, I'll be confident to use him again.

And no tiers will never happen. There will always be that one crazy guy on Gamefaqs...

Also, who do you guys think will be the worst character? From all impressions, I'd have to say Ganondorf. He seems even SLOWER than in Melee, and with few of the boosts DK, Bowser, and Dedede have.

teeheehee thankies :D
And yes DK is back, Sakurai probably saw that DK needed to shine in the light some more, and don't forget the new side B+Giant Punch combo, thats a definite plus! :D Plus DK being a heavy means a boost along with Bowser.
Tiers I hate so much D:
Although I still believe everyone is made to be equal, I do say Ganondorf has been nerfed, therefore "worst" his side B isnt' that great to initiate a combo anymore, although if you use it in midair and if theres a chasm below you, you bring them down with you causing a suicide kill, which is great for some matches I guess :D But since the fastys has been nerfed, like Fox's down tilt, uair, down B, and Sheik's dash, airs, smashes, and throws all have been nerfed, I don't think they can be used in competitive matches anymore. Yay! :D kudos to Sakurai!
Oh and I have seen some members here that said that a "certain" character is weak and said "Theres no way I'll main him he's too weak!" that isn't the case, have you actually seen them in battle?
People are underestimating Olimar too much ;_; probably the only reason why they aren't used much is because characters like Ike, ICs or Olimar are aiming for more advanced players, and if used right, they will be equally like everyone else, so no worries :D
Baby Shop    
Phazon junky
crimsane

HP: 99 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:45 pm   Reply with quote

If you've seen Lucario's battle style, it's noticable that he's virtually a more usefull version of mewtwo. for instance, aura sphere is a practical replica of shadow ball. i think they kept the same advantages that mewtwo had in him but replaced some of the more pointless moves that he had(i.e. psycic) i'm also really relieved that they made him a more speed-based character because mewtwo was often much too slow to be a very active member in melees.

Mister I
Almaz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:49 pm   Reply with quote

Link is actually the worse version of the two. Toon Link is very...floaty, and can jump high and attack faster.

Sonic su-*shot*. But, I did think that Olimar was an excellent character when used correctly. I saw one video of him on Distant Planet, and he absolutely OWNED the others. It was absolutely awesome.

Ike, as much as I like him and his (lack of) character, seems just too slow for a sword user. I know he has a lot of finishing blows, but Ragnell just seems to have a better use weaving through enemies than striking them in a single blow. That's what Alondite (or Ettard, since that's what the game says the BK uses XD) is for. Sure, Ike's got a good hitbox, but he seems much more difficult than a pro (Olimar or the IC's) or wierd (Wario or Game & Watch) to use.

Also, I'd like some opinions on Wario. I've had my eyes on him since I got over this wierd facination with Meta Knight, but I haven't really seen much of him other than "cargofast, cyclegofaster" and "lolzbigwaft". So...?
Temple of I    
Phazon junky
crimsane

HP: 99 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:57 pm   Reply with quote

wario has an......intersting pattern of movement to say the least. the way he runs and carries himself is almost like a flip-book cartoon. i also like the way nintendo individualizes him from mario by making his standard wardrobe represent the wario-ware series. it sort of distinguishes himself as his own character as opposed to being another sub-character to mario(no offense to mario, of course).

Tails Doll

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:00 pm   Reply with quote

crimsane wrote:
wario has an......intersting pattern of movement to say the least. the way he runs and carries himself is almost like a flip-book cartoon. i also like the way nintendo individualizes him from mario by making his standard wardrobe represent the wario-ware series. it sort of distinguishes himself as his own character as opposed to being another sub-character to mario(no offense to mario, of course).

I know what you mean. Wario's haven't got a whole lot seen, though.
Hell    
jacking off
Small Sammer Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:16 pm   Reply with quote

Do not underestimate Wario :D
3 of his special moves are good for recoveries, just watch where you use his fart. Not only he has good recoveries he is also a good powerhouse like DK and Bowser and Dedede and Charizard. His smashes and airs do have some killing potentials.
His B, the bite, is good for stopping most attacks and also for stopping fastys. He's a good character overall but many avoids him due to his looks ;; I do feel sorry for Wario.
Baby Shop    
Mister I
Almaz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:31 pm   Reply with quote

Hm...

For the Gamestop tournament, I'm planning on using Diddy Kong. Good ranged moves that can disrupt play are complimented by his swift combinations and "Monkey Flip". The only problem I see with him is that I can't find a finishing move with Diddy. His forward smash, the normal killer, is a one-two punch, so...
Temple of I    
jacking off
Small Sammer Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:36 pm   Reply with quote

Mister I wrote:
Hm...

For the Gamestop tournament, I'm planning on using Diddy Kong. Good ranged moves that can disrupt play are complimented by his swift combinations and "Monkey Flip". The only problem I see with him is that I can't find a finishing move with Diddy. His forward smash, the normal killer, is a one-two punch, so...

his F-smash is a good killing move, but his fair and bair are also VERY strong and has tons of killing potentials, I saw Diddy using fair on Mario and it killed him at like less than 100%
A good strategy for Diddy is just use his goddy like combos until % is high enough, then kill with your killing move! :D
Baby Shop    
Mister I
Almaz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:38 pm   Reply with quote

Hm...

Does the Rocketbarrel Boost or Cartwheel (rolling attack) have any killing potential? Both seem like moves that could be used very nicely as such...
Temple of I    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Super Smash Bros. Brawl