digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

ITT: ? Block nerdrages
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Super Smash Bros. Brawl
? Block
Fancy Wario

HP: 69 MP: 8 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:35 pm   Reply with quote

Hey...what's that sound?

It sounds like...an approaching nerdrage!

--

All right...where to begin...

I suppose I'll start with an excerpt from my series representation list, which can be found here: http://digibutter.nerr.biz/viewtopic.php?t=64281

Quote:
Metroid Series
Characters
-Samus / Zero Suit Samus
Stages
-Norfair
-Frigate Orpheon
-Brinstar (Melee)
Music
-Main Theme (Metroid)
-Theme of Samus Aran, Space Warrior
-Vs. Ridley
-Vs. Meta Ridley
-Vs. Parasite Queen
-Opening / Menu (Metroid Prime)
-Hunters (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
-Sector 1
-Ending (Metroid)
-Norfair
-Brinstar (Melee)
-Brinstar Depths (Melee)
Assist Trophies
-Metroid
Items
-Screw Attack
Bosses
-Ridley
-Meta Ridley
Trophies
-Samus
-Samus - Final Smash
-Zero Suit Samus
-Zero Suit Samus - Final Smash
-Power Suit Samus
-Varia Suit Samus
-Gravity Suit Samus
-Fusion Suit Samus
-Dark Suit Samus
-Dark Samus
-Ridley
-Meta Ridley
-Kanden
-Spire
-Trace
-Noxus
-Weavel
-Sylux
-Luminoth
-Sheegoth
-Space Pirate
-Parasite Queen
-Metroid Prime
-Metroid Prime Core
-Samus's Gunship
-Screw Attack
Stickers
-Ridley (Metroid: Zero Mission)
-Special Token (Metroid Pinball)
-Zebes Inhabitant (Metroid Fusion)
-Zero Suit Samus (Metroid: Zero Mission)
-Running Zero Suit Samus (Metroid: ZM)
-Gravity Suit Samus (Metroid: Zero Mission)
-Starship (Metroid Fusion)
-Morph Ball (Metroid Pinball)
-Kraid (Metroid: Zero Mission)
-Dark Suit Samus (Metroid Prime 2 Echoes)
-Warrior Ing (Metroid Prime 2 Echoes)
-Energy Tank (Metroid)
-Samus (Metroid Prime 2 Echoes)
-Gunship (Metroid Prime 2 Echoes)
-Luminoth (Metroid Prime 2 Echoes)
-Metroid (Metroid: Zero Mission)
-Chozo Statue (Metroid II)
-Metroid (Metroid Pinball)
-Ridley (Metroid)
-Space Pirate (Super Metroid)
-Samus (Metroid)
-Sylux (Metroid Prime Hunters)
-Dark Samus (Metroid Prime 2 Echoes)
-Kanden (Metroid Prime Hunters)
-Samus (Metroid Fusion)
-Starship (Metroid Prime Hunters)
-Mother Brain (Metroid: Zero Mission)
-Federation Trooper (Metroid Prime 2 Echoes)
-Weavel (Metroid Prime Hunters)

Representation Points: 96.5

Doesn't seem that bad, right? It's the fifth-best series represented in Brawl - even better-represented than Donkey Kong, which actually sells better than it. So, ? Block, you may ask, what's the big deal?

I'll begin with the stages.

So, let's see...we've got Brinstar, Norfair, and Frigate Orpheon. First off: Brinstar and Norfair (or, as I like to call it, Brinstar 1.5).

Norfair, I'm fine with. Brinstar, I'm fine with. But when you have both of them in the same game, it's obvious that they're doing something wrong. Putting Brinstar in as a returning stage? Great, then make a new stage that's actually different from it. Putting Norfair in as a new stage? Okay, then make Brinstar Depths (which, by the way, is, was, and always will be a better stage than Brinstar) Metroid's returning stage. Two stages based on the same idea with only minimal differences = big no.

Now, onto Frigate Orpheon.

I'm not exactly sure what they were smoking when they put it in as the Metroid Prime stage. Out of Tallon Overworld, the Chozo Ruins, Magmoor Caverns, Phendrana Drifts, Phazon Mines, or - heaven forbid - a stage from Metroid Prime 2...they chose Frigate Orpheon. The least memorable, dullest, drabbest, and overall most boring area of the game. The lack of Magmoor Caverns and Phendrana Drifts, I can understand - we already have fire and ice stages in the form of Norfair and The Summit, and Magmoor Caverns would be essentially the same thing as Norfair, anyway. But Tallon Overworld, Chozo Ruins, and Phazon Mines would all be better choices - and are more representative of the game as a whole, anyway. If they wanted a boss in the background so badly, they could've put Flaaghra or the Omega Pirate there. But, instead, we got Frigate Orpheon and the Parasite Queen. Great. Thanks a lot, Brawl team.

And then, as if to add insult to injury, the music selection for those stages aren't very good at all, either.

Let's take a look at what music is selectable on what stage. I'm excluding music that isn't from the Metroid series.

BRINSTAR
-Brinstar (Melee)
-Brinstar Depths (Melee)

NORFAIR
-Main Theme (Metroid)
-Theme of Samus Aran, Space Warrior
-Ending (Metroid)
-Norfair

FRIGATE ORPHEON
-Vs. Ridley
-Vs. Meta Ridley
-Vs. Parasite Queen
-Sector 1
-Title / Menu (Metroid Prime)
-Hunters

The main standouts of that list are Title / Menu (Metroid Prime) and Main Theme (Metroid). If you've listened to the soundtrack (the track I labeled Brinstar is called Main Theme in the game, by the way), you should know exactly what the problem here is. If not, then go on YouTube and listen to the first few seconds. If you don't think it's ridiculously cheesy, there's something wrong with you.

Next up, the decent tracks. I don't have much of a problem with these, but compared to some of the other music from the Metroid series (covered below), they aren't worthy. At all. These are: Theme of Samus Aran, Space Warrior; Ending (Metroid); Vs. Ridley; Vs. Meta Ridley; Sector 1; and Hunters. There's one in particular that I want to go into detail about: Theme of Samus Aran, Space Warrior.

For one thing, that's not the real Theme of Samus; it's the ending theme from Super Metroid. The real Theme of Samus is the music that plays on Crateria after obtaining the Power Bombs...but that's just nitpicking. Now, there are two versions of that track in Super Metroid - the opening theme and the ending theme. The opening theme is not only a better piece, but is also more memorable and definitely more fitting for the Norfair stage.

Next up, the music that's outright bad: Norfair and Vs. Parasite Queen.

If you've played Super Metroid, then chances are that, when the Norfair stage was first confirmed, you considered the Lower Norfair / Magmoor Caverns music to be a shoe-in. Surprise, surprise, the soundtrack is released, and there's no sign of it. Instead, what do you get? A crappy remix of a crappy song from the original Metroid! Gee, thanks, Brawl team! You sure do know how to pick out songs!

Well, at least with the Frigate Orpheon stage, we'll definitely have a number of Space Pirate related songs, right? Yeah, Pirate Fear is DEFINITELY gonna get in...except, y'know, not. Instead, we get Vs. Parasite Queen - a bad song played during a forgettable boss. Uh...great. It's not exactly a musical masterpiece - hell, the only reason they put it in was because the Parasite Queen appears in the background of the stage.

So, what music would I have chosen? Well, keeping with the number of musical tracks that aren't from Melee (10)...

NORFAIR
-Main Theme (Metroid)
-Vs. Ridley
-Theme of Super Metroid
-Lower Norfair / Magmoor Caverns
-Tunnel (Metroid II: Return of Samus)

FRIGATE ORPHEON
-Vs. Meta Ridley
-Vs. Dark Samus
-Pirate Fear
-Sector 1
-Title / Menu (Metroid Prime)

To be continued.
ashdgbdsahvdsajghdasvgsahdvsagsa    
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:47 pm   Reply with quote

All right, so we've already established that the music and stages were poorly chosen. Now, let's move on to something else: the characters...or, should I say, character.

Metroid's only playable representative is Samus.
By contrast, the Star Fox series has three: Fox, Falco, and Wolf.

Some people will be quick to mention Zero Suit Samus, but it's still Samus. More on that later.

Now, let's look at some statistics for the Metroid series:

Super Smash Bros. Melee was released in 2001. At that time, there were only three Metroid games: Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus, and Super Metroid. The series hadn't gotten a game in seven years, so it was understandable that Samus was the only playable character. Star Fox had even less games released at the time, admittedly but those two games were, at least, recent, and pretty damn solid games.

From 2001 to 2008, we have had seven new Metroid games.
-Metroid Fusion
-Metroid Prime
-Metroid Zero Mission
-Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
-Metroid Prime Pinball
-Metroid Prime Hunters
-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

During that same time period, Metroid has become Nintendo's eighth-best-selling video game franchise - sixth if you don't count Brain Age and Nintendogs. Four or more (depending on who you ask) of those games have been extraordinarily well-received, one even reaching the number 3 spot on GameRankings.com, and the rest are still nothing to scoff at.

Next, let's look at Star Fox.

From 2001 to 2008, we have had three new Star Fox games.
-Star Fox Adventures
-Star Fox Assault
-Star Fox Command

During that time period, Star Fox has declined in both quality and popularity. Star Fox Adventures greatly deviated from the series gameplay. Star Fox Assault was widely considered to be mediocre. Star Fox Command, while a step in the right direction, was still nothing special.

Now, considering these facts, it's easy to see the discrepancy here in terms of the number of playable characters. You could give me Ridley as a boss fifty times, and it still wouldn't make a damn difference without at least one more playable character.

Perhaps I might have been able to deal with this. Perhaps I might've been able to accept it and just move on. But there was one thing that kept me from doing so: an extension of Samus known as Zero Suit Samus.

You can give all the playable characters you want to other series while ignoring Metroid, but when you mess with my main, then I'm pissed off.

Let's look at some more background information here.

The Smash Ball is an item that allows you to unleash your Final Smash, an incredibly powerful attack. Any character can grab the Smash Ball. After their Final Smash is finished, the battle continues as normal. But Samus is unique: after she finishes her Final Smash, her armorsuit falls off, forcing you to play with a completely different moveset. No other Final Smash has an aftereffect like this.

Is it because Samus's Final Smash is more powerful than the others? No. Let's look at a few choice Final Smashes that are just as good as, if not better than Samus's.

-Mario Finale (Mario) - essentially has the same effect. No aftereffects.
-Critical Hit (Marth) - instant kill if it connects. No aftereffects.
-Landmaster (Fox / Falco / Wolf) - extremely powerful attacks for a decent period of time. No aftereffects.

I believe I've made my point here.

Now, Samus users are given three decisions here: either turn Smash Balls off and remove an interesting element from the game, play as a completely different character until another one appears (if they even manage to get it), or give their opponent what is essentially a free kill. Do you see what the problem is here?

It certainly doesn't help that Zero Suit Samus's only purpose is sex appeal, either.

So, let's see...my only option to play as a character from my favorite series is Samus, and I'm forced to either remove a fun element from the game or deal with a character I really don't want to deal with. Once again, Brawl team, thanks a lot.

Did I want Ridley as a playable character? Yes, definitely. He was my most-wanted character for this game, even moreso than Sonic. Would I be happy with any Metroid character in the absence of Ridley? Once again, yes, definitely. I would have been fine with Dark Samus, one of the hunters from MPH, hell, even a generic Space Pirate would have sufficed.

But instead, all I got was Samus and Zero Slut Suit Samus.

To be continued.
oar
Super Maiq the Liar

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:00 pm   Reply with quote

Couldn't you technically do that "Shed armor" trick when you get a smash ball, and use it to get the armor back?
Tamriellic Titles    
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:03 pm   Reply with quote

Maiq the Liar wrote:
Couldn't you technically do that "Shed armor" trick when you get a smash ball, and use it to get the armor back?

It's only one-way. You can't go from Zero Suit Samus to Samus.
oar
Super Maiq the Liar

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:07 pm   Reply with quote

? Block wrote:
Maiq the Liar wrote:

-Get Smash Ball.
-Shed Armor.
-Use ZSS' final smash, which gives armor back.

You get a final smash in, keep your enemies from using one, and keep your armor.
Tamriellic Titles    
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:55 pm   Reply with quote

Maiq the Liar wrote:
? Block wrote:
Maiq the Liar wrote:

-Get Smash Ball.
-Shed Armor.
-Use ZSS' final smash, which gives armor back.

You get a final smash in, keep your enemies from using one, and keep your armor.

You'll be vulnerable for a period of time, which would allow your enemy to knock the Smash Ball out. Plus, Samus's Final Smash > ZSS's.
Ohh, THAT makes sense!
Tyler
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 2 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:29 pm   Reply with quote

The Metroid music in Brawl SUCKS, dude...
Tyler's Sexy Shop    
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:30 pm   Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
The Metroid music in Brawl SUCKS, dude...

Indeed.
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:08 am   Reply with quote

I feel like bumping this for no real reason.

That, or I want some discussion.
Shadow Kingdom
Spell Seal
Burning

HP: 80 MP: 0 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:22 am   Reply with quote

Im sure you will grow to love the music, and Zero Suit Samus..... Ok, maybe not.
DISGUISE KIT    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Super Smash Bros. Brawl