digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Ideas for the next Paper Mario Game (Provided there is one)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming
Wacko McGoose
Launching Star
Jailed
Jailed

HP: 10 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:48 pm   Reply with quote

Warlord, your story sounds like a sporking of the Paper Mario series and Partners in Time. But it's very epic. It also sounds like it would be Wii Remote + Nunchuk. Maybe you could rewrite it so that the Classic Controller could also be used? Because Paper Mario feels weird if you use two controllers (though technically the remote + nunchuk setup is one controller, but it FEELS like two).
Wacko's BURNINATED Gag Shop    
Twilit Masked Audiophile
Boomboxer

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:18 am   Reply with quote

Wacko McGoose wrote:
Warlord, your story sounds like a sporking of the Paper Mario series and Partners in Time. But it's very epic. It also sounds like it would be Wii Remote + Nunchuk. Maybe you could rewrite it so that the Classic Controller could also be used? Because Paper Mario feels weird if you use two controllers (though technically the remote + nunchuk setup is one controller, but it FEELS like two).

Sporking! That was the word I was looking for! Yeah, I was going to say something about Chrono Trigger, and then I realized that not every RPG that involves time travel is taking directly from Chrono Trigger. But Partners in Time had a time-traveling plot, didn't it? And the Mario RPG's tend to try to avoid similarities in plot, right? Still, it's a cool storyline with cool partners.

You know what I'd like to see in the following Paper Mario series? A different archetype for the main villain. Bowser and Sir Grodus were fairly typical and cliche by villain standards, and the eccentric and tragic Count Bleck was a nice breath of fresh air, but I think Intelligent Systems could subvert the standard RPG villain even further. What about a strong female villain? Who doesn't wave a magical staff around?

And for an overlying plot, well, there's an idea I've been tossing around ever since the end of Thousand Year Door. I love the graphical style of the Paper Mario series. It's so different from the rest of the world of games, who seem to be shooting for more and more realism. The writers seem to be aware of this, as I remember one of the Sammer Guys in SPM (Bullet Bull, I think) sounding a lot like a typical next-gen graphics obsessor and complaining about the colorful graphical style. "It's just so . . . childish!"

Well, what if the next Paper Mario villain wanted to take all that away? Just turn the world of Paper Mario into an endless mire of brown and bloom? The characters caught in this world would slowly fade in their vibrant colors and turn into dull, withered characters without their vibrant personalities. I guess it does sound a bit like Twilight Princess, now that I write it down. :b But I think a plot like that would rather effective and slightly unnerving in a Paper Mario game.

Nintendo Zealot
Warlord_Mike

HP: 99 MP: 7 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:20 pm   Reply with quote

Boomboxer wrote:
Am I gonna get yelled out for posting on something that's a few weeks old? Cause I totally have to post something after reading Warlord's outline. I mean, the thought into this is absolutely grand. I didn't think there was anyway to beat SPM's dimension-traveling epic-ness, but this might just be the storyline to do it. It does take a tad too much from Thousand Year Door and kinda lacks the ability to stand on its own in the series, which is kinda a trademark of the individual Paper Mario games, but all in good fun. And the time-traveling concept rocks. I'd like to see a bit more of it in the outline, unless it's also key to a lot of sidequests.

Oh, and is this thread still open to tossing around other Paper Mario ideas?

Well, I hadn't really fleshed out the details for other reasons for time traveling aside from the BIG parts; but I could EASILY see the concept being used to get some of those "Chrono Artifacts" I mentioned earlier for Goombella's Chrono Fusions.

And, yes! This topic is STILL open for other ideas. Feel free to post yours! Smile
Wacko McGoose wrote:

Hmm...Neutral

I don't know; the thing was I was designing the movesets from the start to take advantage of as much of the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo I could think of. I really have no ideas how some of them would be redone...

Also, having never played PiT, I wouldn't know for certain; this is simply what I thought would be great for the next game.

Wacko McGoose
Launching Star
Jailed
Jailed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:27 pm   Reply with quote

And "sporking" is an Uncyclopedia term for copypasting a page from another site (usually Wikipedia; Uncyclopedia members love sporking other wikis), then editing it to make it "better" (actually making it worse by Wikipedia standards, funnier by internet standards).
The Axolotl Sympathist
Geno
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:48 pm   Reply with quote

To be honest, the next paper Mario game shouldn't be a Paper Mario game. I want it to be Paper Luigi: The Waffle Kingdom Chronicles.
It would be 10 times funnier, and it would add another game to have in the Luigi saga.
Geno's Tree    
Uhhh.... Hi? :D
Kuro

HP: 80 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:56 pm   Reply with quote

Geno wrote:
To be honest, the next paper Mario game shouldn't be a Paper Mario game. I want it to be Paper Luigi: The Waffle Kingdom Chronicles.
It would be 10 times funnier, and it would add another game to have in the Luigi saga.

Yes!
XD
Kuro    
Wacko McGoose
Launching Star
Jailed
Jailed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:59 pm   Reply with quote

Good point. I always wondered how that story Luigi talks about in TTYD would've looked.
The Axolotl Sympathist
Geno
Werewolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:17 pm   Reply with quote

Wacko McGoose wrote:
Good point. I always wondered how that story Luigi talks about in TTYD would've looked.
All the sad fates of his partners... Jeez, I've always wanted to see it in action.
Geno's Tree    
Twilit Masked Audiophile
Boomboxer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:20 pm   Reply with quote

I don't know, guys. I mean, could you actually make a balanced and playable game out of Luigi's quest in Thousand Year Door? And would too much Weegee be too much of a good thing? I like him best when he's a foil/lancer to Mario. I liked his role and abilities in Super Paper Mario: could've had a little more time with the heroes, but a step up from being near-non-existent in a Mario game, you know?

The Axolotl Sympathist
Geno
Werewolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:28 pm   Reply with quote

Boomboxer wrote:
I don't know, guys. I mean, could you actually make a balanced and playable game out of Luigi's quest in Thousand Year Door? And would too much Weegee be too much of a good thing? I like him best when he's a foil/lancer to Mario. I liked his role and abilities in Super Paper Mario: could've had a little more time with the heroes, but a step up from being near-non-existent in a Mario game, you know?
Luigi in his own paper game would work out fine.

Really, he can have his own game now and then.
Geno's Tree    
Uhhh.... Hi? :D
Kuro

HP: 80 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:33 pm   Reply with quote

He should have another game, he's only been the star in Luigi's Mansion and Mario's Missing.
And Luigi's Mansion was awesome. I never played Mario's Missing, though...
Kuro    
Twilit Masked Audiophile
Boomboxer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:05 pm   Reply with quote

Kuro wrote:
He should have another game, he's only been the star in Luigi's Mansion and Mario's Missing.
And Luigi's Mansion was awesome. I never played Mario's Missing, though...

Have you seen the freaky-looking pictures of Luigi that are popping up all over the internet titled "WEEGEE?" That's from Mario is Missing. It's kinda like Hotel Mario, in that Mario fans really don't like to talk about the game. Unless you're a youtube poop fan.

So . . . yeah. Mario is Missing was kinda bad and Luigi's Mansion, while not bad, felt like an overglorified tech demo. It was just too short for a gamecube game, but hey, the fights and puzzles were pretty fun. Yeah, I guess another Luigi game with him in the spotlight would be nice, but all I'm saying is that he's great because he's not Mario. If he becomes "the hero," he kinda becomes an everyman like his brother. I just like having that contrast.

Fat Tuper
lovegod703

HP: 10 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:14 pm   Reply with quote

YES! That was an amazing idea, and I hope it happens, but i dont think Peach and Bowser should be partners.
Milton Games    
Twilit Masked Audiophile
Boomboxer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:45 am   Reply with quote

Pokémoneinstein wrote:
YES! That was an amazing idea, and I hope it happens, but i dont think Peach and Bowser should be partners.

Maybe they would fit in better if ALL of Mario's partners were characters from previous Mario games. Like Wario or Donkey Kong. Except . . . how would you come up with unique moves for each characters?

Oh! I know! What if the partners were characters from previous games, but they were "cursed" into creatures similar to the partners in the first two Paper Mario games? Like one character became a goomba, another character became a koopa, another character became a bob-omb, etc. That way they can have abilities that fit in with the rest of the Paper Mario series. It also helps to explain why they'd need to rank-up and learn moves, as you would too, if you were suddenly turned into a koopa.

What do you guys think?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming