digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Burnout Paradise: How to support a game

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:25 am   Reply with quote

I recently bought Burnout Paradise for PS3. I really wanted GRiD though, which has better racing and better crashes... so why did I get Burnout instead? Criterion knows how to support a game.

All year, Criterion will be releasing updates to Burnout Paradise that bring huge enhancements. I don't mean just a few new cars or new goals. I'm talking new game modes, new online features, new gameplay experiences, a huge city-expansion... plus new vehicles and new types of vehicles (motorcycles and maybe planes!?). Today is the third update: Cagney

This is how you support a game. This is what I envisioned when people talked about "next-gen" gaming. Criterion could nickel-and-dime us for this "DLC" like other companies do, but instead they are giving it all away for free. Hopefully other developers and publishers are paying attention. If you support a game after release date, you keep demand for the game alive for much much longer. The game actually increases in value over time. Online doesn't become a ghost town because there is always something bringing players back.

Criterion could have called it a day, and started working on a sequel once Burnout hit the shelves. Instead, they keep developing and innovating. Why put time and effort to developing a sequel, only to get most of your sales on release day? Why not improve the existing game (which requires much less effort), which draws in more sales continually through the future, possibly equaling the sales of a sequel?

I hope other games go this route in the future. If the game engine does not change drastically, there is no need to press a new disc. Keep the existing game alive. It is better for the gamers, stores, environment, and the bottom line.

What do you think? Is this the future? Will minor sequels become a thing of the past?
Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
Simsmagic
Aggrieved
Vampire

HP: 28 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:20 pm   Reply with quote

Nintendo needs to pay attention and take notes for games such as HINT HINT Super Smash Bros.HINT HINT
Gorgeon's Weapons Shop    
RaveRaze
Mana7
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:26 pm   Reply with quote

Then companies wont be making the same amount of money. Sure if new people keep buying the game then they will have a small amount of cash flowing in. Its nothing compared to what would happen if they made a new title. Im completely for adding new content but there are reasons against it
Choco's    
TooManyToasters
Paper_Waluigi

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:41 pm   Reply with quote

Mana7 wrote:
Then companies wont be making the same amount of money. Sure if new people keep buying the game then they will have a small amount of cash flowing in. Its nothing compared to what would happen if they made a new title. Im completely for adding new content but there are reasons against it

Companies can work on more than one thing at a time. If you want to support a game, you don't need to completely halt production on everything else.
asdf    
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:38 pm   Reply with quote

Mana7 wrote:

I think it depends on the game and stution. If your game is hugely anticipated, like GTA4, then you are right... it doesnt matter if you release new content. The game is going to sell no matter what. No one is going to buy GTA4 because new content is added if they weren't already planning on getting it. They would rather start working on GTA5 because they know everyone is going to plop down $60 again no matter what.

BUT, if your game is NOT GTA4, then adding new content would bring in many more sales over the long run. It goes from some forgotten game no one really cares about, to a game that keeps getting better over time eventually surpassing the competition. If you were to focus on making a quick sequel instead, it would just bomb worse than the original. But if you build up momentum, the game's userbase keeps growing which eventually naturally rolls right into the real sequel a few years later. What the gaming industry does now is have a peak of hype, followed by disappointment, and then a long stretch of nothing until a sequel appears and repeats it all over again.
Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
RaveRaze
Mana7
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:02 pm   Reply with quote

Engineer wrote:
Mana7 wrote:

Companies can work on more than one thing at a time. If you want to support a game, you don't need to completely halt production on everything else.

But that would take away some of the Prouduction power of the smaller companies

And I see your point Francis
Choco's    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:28 pm   Reply with quote

Simsmagic wrote:
Nintendo needs to pay attention and take notes for games such as HINT HINT Super Smash Bros.HINT HINT

It is never going to happen.

Deal with it.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Tails Doll

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:38 am   Reply with quote

Game industries are almost always going to be stupid. I don't think whole lot of developers will go for this.
Hell    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming