digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Why mods?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Feedback
Mwuahahaha!
Brainboie1
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:14 am   Reply with quote

Yes, you may be wondering why I'm posting 'Why mods?'.

As being a Mod...for easily more than a few games...I always see the same issues arousing before the time of Mods reign.

Mods are a source of protection? Mods are the saviors of the time of arrogance and stupidity? Will mods truly stop the wrong-do'ers or only increase the population anew?

Being a mod, as I mentioned before, I understand that mods are not always respected...mods don't always fulfill their tasks given...mods are not perfect, nor are they trustworthy. They find exploits and take advantage. Modship is a tool, not an oppurtunity, nor a honor.

My simple investigations led me to proclaim that this forum should not be destroyed by a few dunces, rather that it should protect its sanctity before hazard claims the innocence of this forum.

I have a few simple suggestions that are very common on forums such as this. They usually come standard on many forums such as ipbforums, freezone, etc.

[1] :: We should form a Code of Conduct that will have a link to it on every page. Such as under the Header, etc. Relieving the forum of an active Code of Conduct allows for many disruptions in the rifts of gratitude...meaning, people will type innappropriate things, in lamen terms. The Code of Coduct will enlist all of the rules for this forum and will enlist protocol taken against wrong-do'ers. We want to make it a thorough explanation, rather than (No Spamming ; what if someone doesn't understand the term 'spamming'?).

[2] :: We could form a Warning system which would enable users to Warn another user on a particular user's post due to an infraction against a rule in the Code of Conduct. By giving a player a Warning, this will send a Report Abuse to Francis giving the details on the Thread, Post, User who Posted, User who gave the Warning, etc. This of course would require our Admin, Francis, to check the 'reports' so that they can decipher the direct protocol to be taken against the wrong-do'er. Oh, yes, if a Warning is incorrect, action will be taken against the 'Warner'.

[3] :: If all else fails, we could always formulate a Censor. Please don't do what RuneScape did by changing the terms to astericks (*). This gets rather annoying. The censor will blaintly censor terms that are bad. Such as if the term potato was a bad word. Then the censor would censor: Potato, p0tato, pot4to, potat0, etc. This way, people could no 'dodge the censor'.

[4] :: The Dump Forum, SHOULD be moderated...but not by a Moderator. The Dump Forum and/or Off-Topic Forum is not made for Spamming. It is made for Off-Topic things. If we wanted to see the lovely Graphic Interchangeable Format (Gif) Pictures named as such as 'Smileys', then we would of made a lovely Forum titled: "Spam here with Smileys". The forum is not at all to be abused, nor should the abuse be passed on as if nothing happened. The Dump Forum should become an Off-Topic Thread rather than the 'Crap' Forum that it is today. Please, halter any abuse against this Off-Topic Forum and clear it of it's stupidity...or forever face the wrath of the Smiley Wars: Shocked x 1,000.

---------

Last Updated: 4:05 AM EST Monday, July 23, 2007. This is an Active Thread, meaning I will edit it as I think of future ways to save this Forum.

---------

Please do not Spam / Flood the Chatterbox.
Please do not Flame, but do post arguements.
Please do not post in l33t and/or giberish.
Please do not post if you type like a 4-year old.
Brainy's Brainy Brainiac Sale    
Strawberry-san
Celeste Dimentia

HP: 100 MP: 0 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:26 am   Reply with quote

THANK YOU. I could not agree more. I only hope I'm not the only one that does. I have no doubts that Francis understands what's good for this forum, so I'm confident that he won't be appointing any 'Dump Mods', which are quite unnecessary in my opinion. Personally, I find the Dump to be a waste of space in its current state, but again, that's my opinion.

Just for everyone's information, I have traded PM's with Francis. I sent him a Moderator application for the General Discussion forum. It must be tiring, yes, to see so many people asking to be made a Mod - many of whom aren't truly prepared for the resbonsibility that the positions asks? My aspiration to become a Moderator was, and still is, very sincere. I know all of us would like to help contribute to the forums on a greater scale, but not all of us can be made Moderators as a result. Again, I have no doubts in Francis, but merely think that at least one more helping hand is something to be grateful for.

And I, unlike some others, perhaps, do not desire attaining the job simply for the sake of having a higher position. Being a Moderator is, of course, more than having a dark green name. I'm willing to carry the weight that it asks, and willing to keep watch and maintain the forum's Code of Conduct (Brain, the forum rules are in the Announcements forum and the 'FAQ' link at the top of every page, but I do agree that a direct link to a specifically detailed 'Code of Conduct' would very much help).

Francis has indeed expressed confidence that I could most likely perform sufficiently as a Moderator, but hesitates in doing so because he feels that other members would be offended; I have been here only since July 3rd, and even though I feel that I have a clear view of this site's ardent member views and needs, I suppose Francis is not so sure if the public agrees.

So... not to derail this topic from its original point of discussion, but I am curious. If I were to actually be accepted as a Moderator, would you hate me for it - would you shut me down and claim that you deserve it more for being here longer, instead of accepting it? I really want to know, since this desire of mine is very real, whether or not I would actually receive support from the community. I do NOT want to offend anyone. Sad
Dimension D    
Mwuahahaha!
Brainboie1
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:46 am   Reply with quote

=======
I apologize for this particular post sounding a bit jumbled up. At the moment, I am tired...too tired to edit this. Razz I'll just leave it as a bit hunk of collaborated junk to express what I was thinking at the time. However, in a sense, it provides evidence for a good point proven. Razz
=======

I understand what you mean...

When using my Modship in such scenarios, many people complain that 'I am a bad mod', such as that I am not fulfilling my duties, when in fact, I am fulfilling them as required. Many people have false expectations of what they think should be required for a Moderator. A Moderator in any sense is not required to help you, rather that he/she should not deny you the sanctity of learning, rather he/she could appoint the person to a higher source of learning.

In the game as I mentioned before (...In my Intro...), I wonder around helping others in the sense that I seem fit. I will not help 'everyone', nor can I help 'everyone'. Why does 'everyone' think that I should/can? I have no clue, obviously I am not everywhere, meaning I cannot help everyone. Some people believe that we are always there to help...well, what happens when we are not there? Are your beliefs misleading? Usually this leads to rioting and such. "Mods don't help us!" "Mods are evil!" "Mods are mean, stuck-up n00bs!" Why are they calling us this? We helped you...we tried our hardest. We are not perfect.

What I'm trying to say is that simply a moderator in any sense is not perfect in any situation. ...Nor are they always going to be there. By spiratically increasing numbers, this only leads to malpractice. In the game I mentioned, there was a great leep in the Moderators realm. Over 2,000 players were welcomed into Modship. This not only made many players that 'diserved' this opportunity angry, but it also made the moderators that did not 'diserve' this opprtunity exploit. Many Moderators were going around misbehaving, and they were breaking the rules in such that they were acquiring accounts by saying false proclomations, etc.

That all means that if Francis were to make more than one user a Moderator, then there could be side effects. Side effects such as, 'hate' playing a factor; whereas, a Moderator could have a grudge against a particular user on these forums, so this Moderator simply edits the text of the user so that it says something rancid, then the Moderator simply sends these users to the Digibutter Prison.

-----------

In a nutshell, I guess I am describing the 'in-perfect-ness' of Moderators and what problems could arouse due to malpractice, bad judgement, not using your powers to the fullest extent, and/or there being too many Moderators to begin with.

=========

Oh, lastly, I would have no problems with you being the next Moderator. However, my whole arguement is that we really don't need a new Moderator. At least, not yet.
Brainy's Brainy Brainiac Sale    
Strawberry-san
Celeste Dimentia

HP: 100 MP: 0 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:03 am   Reply with quote

Well, Francis told me - and I see no harm in relaying this - that he himself was considering appointing at least one more Moderator for the site when we reached at least 500 members. I know that I have a chance, but he feels that I have not been a member long enough to perform well as a Moderator. So I thank you for your support; I personally feel that length of time spent on a forum is not always an equal measure to one's readiness for the position. A lot of people that have been here even since the beginning may not truly 'deserve' this position, which I'm sure many covet - not all for the right reasons. People seem to naturally harbor hatred towards Moderators at times, though, and I can definitely agree with you on the fact that Mods can't be perfect - they can only strive to do their jobs the best they can. One would be foolhardy to expect a miracle worker.
Dimension D    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Feedback