digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

[review] New Super Mario Bros.
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews
Yellow Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:23 pm   Reply with quote

This game has gotten a lot of hype since it's release, but is it worth the buy? Let's hope this review will help you decide.

Graphics: 8.5/10 I was surprised at how so many objects in the game where actually 3D. Yeah, they looked blocky, but whatdya expect? It's the DS. SM64DS looked no better. Well, maybe it did... At any rate, even though Mario looks like a drunkard when running at full speed, the graphics were still tasty eye-candy.

Gameplay: 9.5/10 Ah, yes, the same old SMB gameplay. Much like the very first SMB, but Mario's traction in NSMB is MUCH less slippery. I'm not a big fan of how you had to beat the game just to play as Luigi, and it doesn't even allow 2P. Think of what they could have done with the DS's capabilities. But still, the idea of hopping from world-to-world never gets old.

Sound: 8/10 Well, it has its ups and downs. I hate it in a game when they just remix the same song for the majority of the music. Well, unfortunately, that's exactly what they did. The main theme isn't even that catchy. But still, I enjoyed the Castle theme, although the Ghost House theme was a ripoff of SMW's Ghost House, and the Tower theme was a ripoff of SMB3's Fortress theme. Oh well. But still, the character's voices really added to the character of the game.

Character: 3/10 I'm not talking about the characters THEMSELVES, but how well Nintendo showed the many characters' personalities. Notice that there is absolutely NO DIALOGUE in this game. Not one quote from one character. I'd rather hear SMB's constant "Thank you Mario! But the princess is in another castle!" message than nothing a all. Still, the characters' constant grunts, laughs, ect. Were a treat.

Easter Eggs: 4.5/10 Meh. Not one of NSMB's strong suits. Yeah, you have the star coins, and I liked the thought of spending them to get to shops, but still... The Luigi feature was just pathetic, it's just a skin. Not something to keep you occupied after you beat the game. Oh, and the "challenge mode" really doesn't make the game much more of a challenge, either. Just prevents going backward like in SMB. Still, the bonus material and post-end of game material will keep you occupied for another, oh, week or so?

Level Design: 9.5/10 THIS is where NSMB really shined. Although SMW's levels were longer, they lacked fresh material, and NSMB was chock full of it. Expect something new in every other level. The constant references to Super Mario 64 kinda bugged me, since it's supposed to revive the CLASSIC Mario games, but oh well. Everything just fit together perfectly in each level.

Other comments: What? No Koopalings? Well, that's typical Nintendo for you. The level themes kinda ripped off of SMB3, too. And the fact that you can completely skip worlds without the use of any secrets is bogus, too. Also, there aren't enough levels. But on the other hand, there were a wide assortment of enemies, and the bright and colorful themes were cool, too. And there were all sorts of terrain in the game, too. Grassland, desert, ocean, the list goes on.

Final score: 8/10 This game excelled in the gameplay and graphics department, however, minus the 3D graphics, it could be easily done on the SNES. excellent game, though. Is it worth the buy? YES. If you're a SMB veteran like I am, or just happen to own a DS, this game is a must.

So ends my review, hope you liked it.
Pipe Land Goods    
jacking off
Small Sammer Guy

HP: 10 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:35 pm   Reply with quote

hmm good review there YM
And remixes are pretty good IMO
Baby Shop    
Wacko McGoose
Launching Star
Jailed
Jailed

HP: 10 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:43 pm   Reply with quote

Actually, Boomer, you just have to beat the game to learn the play-as-Luigi code. Once you know it, you can do it at any time, on ANY gamesave file.

BTW, for those who don't know the Challenge Mode code, it's (pause the game) L R L R X X Y Y.

Something I was disapointed about: You can't play as Yoshi.
Wacko's BURNINATED Gag Shop    
Yellow Magikoopa
Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:49 pm   Reply with quote

Wacko McGoose wrote:
Actually, Boomer, you just have to beat the game to learn the play-as-Luigi code. Once you know it, you can do it at any time, on ANY gamesave file.

BTW, for those who don't know the Challenge Mode code, it's (pause the game) L R L R X X Y Y.

Something I was disapointed about: You can't play as Yoshi.

Indeed. And I knew about Luigi, too.
Pipe Land Goods    
The book
Light Prognosticus
Vampire

HP: 88 MP: 10 Lives: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:39 am   Reply with quote

This game's got a 2P mode!
Light Prognosticus's Magic Shop    
Tails Doll

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:48 am   Reply with quote

I don't like this game that much!
Hell    
Jr. Troopa
Admiral Bobbery

HP: 15 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:51 am   Reply with quote

I really liked the game and I think Boomer gave a good critic.
Troopa's Treats    
Burn them out
rawrskey
Benned Vampire
Benned

HP: 70 MP: 5 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:14 pm   Reply with quote

dude this is the best game ever.
rawrshop    
Cid
Lord Krump

HP: 60 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:25 pm   Reply with quote

Overall, I'd say that I agree with your review. Except for the music part. Buh huh huh. Great critique.
The Highwind Goods Store    
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:36 pm   Reply with quote

I hated that you had to have certain items, that weren't even available in the particular stage, to get to extra levels/paths. So I end up waiting for a floating ? Block to appear, hoping that it contains the item I need. I think I must be missing something, because I find it very frustrating, and very unlike Nintendo.

Except for the good ole Fire Flower, the items are worthless. Most of them actually make things harder for you, and the Mega Mushroom is just a gimmick.

I understand that this game was designed basically as a prequel to Super Mario Bros. 3, but it ends up feeling like a quick hack to make some money. Even the mini games were ripped straight from Mario64DS. Hopefully they can make a new EPIC Super Mario Bros. for DS soon on the same level of Super Mario World. [/rant]
Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
cool
Lord Bob
Vampire

HP: 61 MP: 8 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:41 pm   Reply with quote

Well Francis, there is a way you can assure yourself an item house. When you get to the flag at the end of a level DON'T TOUCH IT! Wait for all the digits to be the same and THEN touch it. I believe for item houses it's 666, 555, or 444.
NON BANNER    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:55 pm   Reply with quote

How can you knock it for not having dialogue, all of the original Super Mario Bros. titles had little to no text except maybe 3 but it was the best one so that is assumed see?
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Mister I
Almaz

HP: 43 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:56 pm   Reply with quote

From best to worst, the Mario Platformers!:

1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. Super Mario World
3. Super Mario Bros
4. New Super Mario Bros
5. Super Mario Bros 2 (The Lost Levels)
6. Super Mario Bros 2/Doki Doki Panic

3 had everything: great levels, awesome enemies, stuck to themes, perfect engine, and SCHWEET POWER UPS! Who can forget the invincible Hammer Bro suit, (influenced the much-worse Blue Shell) the frustration of the Frog Suit, or the unlimited powers of the Tanooki Suit? Raccoon Suit was also better than the Super Cape (Mario gets a time limit for flight instead of a near-impossible flight mechanic). Plus, good ol' Fire Flower and Super Mushroom are awesome! AND KOOPALINGS!

Super Mario World comes in a close 2nd with YOSHI! Plus, it had great level design, a good learning curbe, and tons of secrets! Not Warp Whistle level, but pretty good. Plus, Chargin' Chucks were awesome. AND KOOPALINGS!

We will never forget you...
Angry Sun
Boss Bass
Big Bertha
Chargin' Chuck
Blarrg (classic)
Boom Boom
Koriboh's Goomba
Mecha-Koopa
Ninji
Porcu-Puffer
Spiked Cheep-Cheep
Ptooie
Jelectro
Roto-Disk
Super Koopa
Banzi Bill
Torpedo Ted
Invincible Yellow-Shelled Koopa
Mega Mole
Blooper Mother
Buster Beatle
Parabuzzy
Grand Goomba
Nipper
And, the awesomeness that is...

THE KOOPALINGS!
Temple of I    
Burn them out
rawrskey
Benned Vampire
Benned

HP: 70 MP: 5 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:39 am   Reply with quote

Francis wrote:
I hated that you had to have certain items, that weren't even available in the particular stage, to get to extra levels/paths. So I end up waiting for a floating ? Block to appear, hoping that it contains the item I need. I think I must be missing something, because I find it very frustrating, and very unlike Nintendo.

Except for the good ole Fire Flower, the items are worthless. Most of them actually make things harder for you, and the Mega Mushroom is just a gimmick.

I understand that this game was designed basically as a prequel to Super Mario Bros. 3, but it ends up feeling like a quick hack to make some money. Even the mini games were ripped straight from Mario64DS. Hopefully they can make a new EPIC Super Mario Bros. for DS soon on the same level of Super Mario World. [/rant]

You do realize that the items for the "Secret paths" were purposely made to be not found on the stage so that after you beat the bulk of the game, you had a reason to come back?

It's not one of those games that you beat and a day and be done with it, and if you do... you need to re-think the way you play games.

I re-play the game sometimes and have been thinking about doing a speed-run. This game rocks, and the levels are AWESOME. Most of the items are just for fun.

In fact, the mini-mushroom adds a challenging aspect to the game. The hardcore gamer can beat the game, then challenge himself to go through every level AGAIN with nothing but a mini mushroom and another one stocked.

The multi-player is epic, as well. I play with Josh all the time and it's fun... so long as one of us doesn't end up snatching the mega mushroom the other one so rightly deserved.
rawrshop    
Yellow Magikoopa
Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 am   Reply with quote

Popple wrote:
How can you knock it for not having dialogue, all of the original Super Mario Bros. titles had little to no text except maybe 3 but it was the best one so that is assumed see?

That was NES/SNES. This is DS. The expectations have skyrocketed.
Pipe Land Goods    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews