digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Is digibutter too hard on spam?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Feedback
cool
Lord Bob
Vampire

HP: 61 MP: 8 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:44 pm   Reply with quote

Really, it seems like we're trying to make a spam free community. Spam only really hurts if it's huge and terrible. Small, pointless, annoying messages don't reallly hurt anything. OT is more of a casual bored, but what defines casual? Spam falls into the category of casual, so let me suggest this.
A spamboard. Not the dump back, just a place for downright spam, as long as it's reasonable (reasonable defines no topics such as "Spam 38" with only "MOMMEE! I SPAMEED!" over and over again, this example taken from a past experience of mine).
So, what say you, digibutter? Do you think this could work?
NON BANNER    
Hellza Ballza
Goron Mask
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:46 pm   Reply with quote

Yes, people are to hard on spam. And I agree it's only bad in mass heaps of it. Supported damnit!
Some store that sells shit    
Cid
Lord Krump

HP: 60 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:50 pm   Reply with quote

List of ways to help the site:

Turn OT in to a true Spam Board, where all of the rules apply except for the spam and flooding rules. Some of the discussions in there are quality enough to fit in GD or elsewhere.

Harder punishments on those who break the rules elsewhere.

Clans and clubs, damnit.
The Highwind Goods Store    
cool
Lord Bob
Vampire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:51 pm   Reply with quote

King Bowser wrote:

Turn OT in to a true Spam Board, where all of the rules apply except for the spam and flooding rules. Some of the discussions in there are quality enough to fit in GD or elsewhere.

Clans and clubs, damnit.

I do believe you forgot flaming. No one likes that.
NON BANNER    
Hellza Ballza
Goron Mask
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:51 pm   Reply with quote

King Bowser wrote:

Clans and clubs, damnit.

This^
Some store that sells shit    
Cid
Lord Krump

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:52 pm   Reply with quote

Lord Bob wrote:
King Bowser wrote:

Clans and clubs, damnit.

All of the rules would apply in the forum except for the spam and flooding restrictions, because spam and flooding would be tolerable.
The Highwind Goods Store    
cool
Lord Bob
Vampire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:54 pm   Reply with quote

King Bowser wrote:
Lord Bob wrote:
King Bowser wrote:

Clans and clubs, damnit.

All of the rules would apply in the forum except for the spam and flooding restrictions, because spam and flooding would be tolerable.

Oh. Must've read that wrong. But flooding should be restricted too. That's really annoying. I made that point in my first post. Do you really want "MOMEE! I SPAMEED! MOMEE! I SPAMEED!" over and over again? 'Cuz you're practically inviting that.
NON BANNER    
Cid
Lord Krump

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:55 pm   Reply with quote

Lord Bob wrote:
King Bowser wrote:
Lord Bob wrote:
King Bowser wrote:

Clans and clubs, damnit.

Oh. Must've read that wrong. But flooding should be restricted too. That's really annoying. I made that point in my first post. Do you really want "MOMEE! I SPAMEED! MOMEE! I SPAMEED!" over and over again? 'Cuz you're practically inviting that.

I was speaking of flooding more along the lines of group flooding, or "fads."
The Highwind Goods Store    
cool
Lord Bob
Vampire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:56 pm   Reply with quote

King Bowser wrote:
Lord Bob wrote:
King Bowser wrote:
Lord Bob wrote:
King Bowser wrote:

Clans and clubs, damnit.

I was speaking of flooding more along the lines of group flooding, or "fads."

'K, but make that clearer next time.
NON BANNER    
Addicted to linebreaks
Plastic Mario
Vampire

HP: 94 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:05 pm   Reply with quote

Make it seperate from OT, have it heavily moderated for flaming and I'd say yes.
Fiberglass World    
Richest user. :D
Super Ultimario

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 6

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:11 pm   Reply with quote

King Bowser wrote:

Clans and clubs, damnit.
I disagree with the bold, actually. Off-Topic should probably be a bit looser on spam, yeah, but not too loose. People go to Off-Topic for casual discussion too casual or too spammy for GD or elsewhere, if OT became a spamboard those casual, semi-spam topics with a point would sink beneath the waves of spam and get after like 2 posts, or be striked for not being enough of a discussion in GD. I say we could create a spamboard, but not turn OT into one.
Ultimario Mart!    
Cid
Lord Krump

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:12 pm   Reply with quote

UltiMario wrote:
King Bowser wrote:

Clans and clubs, damnit.
I disagree with the bold, actually. Off-Topic should probably be a bit looser on spam, yeah, but not too loose. People go to Off-Topic for casual discussion too casual or too spammy for GD or elsewhere, if OT became a spamboard those casual, semi-spam topics with a point would sink beneath the waves of spam and get after like 2 posts, or be striked for not being enough of a discussion in GD. I say we could create a spamboard, but not turn OT into one.

Better yet, make OT for the spammy threads, GD for the miscellaneous every day threads, and make a new Serious Discussion board for the intellectual threads.
The Highwind Goods Store    
cool
Lord Bob
Vampire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:14 pm   Reply with quote

Actually, my original idea was for a seperate spamboard. Don't change OT and GD, leave them as is, since GD's already serious discussion and OT's already supposed to be casual.
NON BANNER    
Addicted to linebreaks
Plastic Mario
Vampire

HP: 94 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:15 pm   Reply with quote

King Bowser wrote:
Better yet, make OT for the spammy threads, GD for the miscellaneous every day threads, and make a new Serious Discussion board for the intellectual threads.
Toned one level down. A new spamboard (The dump) for the spam, Off-Topic for the every days stuff and keep GD how it is. Everyday stuff doesn't really fit GD.
Fiberglass World    
Cid
Lord Krump

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:15 pm   Reply with quote

Lord Bob wrote:
Actually, my original idea was for a seperate spamboard. Don't change OT and GD, leave them as is, since GD's already serious discussion and OT's already supposed to be casual.

Maybe we should just change GD to Serious Discussion. I mean, if that's what it is, the name would more accurately reflect the content.
The Highwind Goods Store    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Feedback