digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Better Posting

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Hi-Technical Support
Jr. Troopa
Admiral Bobbery

HP: 15 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:26 pm   Reply with quote

Here is a guide that will help some of our newer members to post better.

Section 1: How To Post

Posting is quite easy and you can start right away. In order to get ideas for posting, you might want to look at posts made by other members. Now you might want to post something that you want. Think about what other people want. What is a popular subject that I can enhance? For example, a popular game like Super Mario Galaxy can have a question like, “What bosses will appear in this game?” To make this topic more popular, you could add a poll. You probably could come up with a better question or topic, but this is for beginners. ( See Section 5 for adding a topic, adding a poll, and more help)

Section 2: Post Quality

Always come up with something that strikes the people. You may get post quality points if people enjoy your topic and think that it is useful. Also you may give people post quality points, if they have a really good topic that is helpful to others. Post Quality Points do not cost anything as they are free. Although, you may not give yourself any points.

Section 3: How Not To Post

Many people post non quality articles. A place where all these articles should be posted are in the Dump. Posting does not require giving an essay or typing one word. A couple of sentences are just fine. Some people just post random things in posts that are off topic. This is known as spamming. Spammers are disliked by most people and don’t try to become like them. If you want to post random things, then do it in the dump. People who criticize others, mostly in the dump, are called Flammers and should be ignored. Trollers post messages, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group. Don't try to pick a fight, just leave them alone. Also if there are falling topics, old topics, that haven’t been replied to in a couple of days, then don’t reply to them. Replying to them is necroposting and is not good. If you like the old topic, then start up a new topic with the same question. Do not try to be the last one to post for every topic. There is no prize in doing this. All you are doing is spamming.

Section 4: Punishments

Spammers, Flammers, and Trollers can result in the following punishments:

Punishment 1: A Letter from Francis telling you to stop.
Punishment 2: A Trip to Digibutter prison.
Punishment 3: A Ban( for a short while)
Punishment 4: Permanent Ban

These punishments depend on how bad the person is. The first and second punishments happen often. Do not become a spammer, flammer or troller.

Section 5: Common Posting Issues by Francis

How do I post a topic in a forum?
Easy -- click the relevant button on either the forum or topic screens. You may need to register before you can post a message. The facilities available to you are listed at the bottom of the forum and topic screens (the you can post new topics, you can vote in polls, etc. list)

How do I edit or delete a post?
Unless you are the board admin or forum moderator you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post (sometimes for only a limited time after it was made) by clicking the edit button for the relevant post. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic that lists the number of times you edited it. This will only appear if no one has replied; it also will not appear if moderators or administrators edit the post (they should leave a message saying what they altered and why). Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.

How do I add a signature to my post?
To add a signature to a post you must first create one; this is done via your profile. Once created you can check the Add Signature box on the posting form to add your signature. You can also add a signature by default to all your posts by checking the appropriate radio box in your profile. You can still prevent a signature being added to individual posts by un-checking the add signature box on the posting form.

How do I create a poll?
Creating a poll is easy -- when you post a new topic (or edit the first post of a topic, if you have permission) you should see a Add Poll form below the main posting box. If you cannot see this then you probably do not have rights to create polls. You should enter a title for the poll and then at least two options -- to set an option type in the poll question and click the Add option button. You can also set a time limit for the poll, 0 being an infinite amount. There will be a limit to the number of options you can list, which is set by the board administrator

How do I edit or delete a poll?
As with posts, polls can only be edited by the original poster, a moderator, or board administrator. To edit a poll, click the first post in the topic, which always has the poll associated with it. If no one has cast a vote then users can delete the poll or edit any poll option. However, if people have already placed votes only moderators or administrators can edit or delete it; this is to prevent people rigging polls by changing options mid-way through a poll

Why can't I access a forum?
Some forums may be limited to certain users or groups. To view, read, post, etc. you may need special authorization which only the forum moderator and board administrator can grant, so you should contact them.

Why can't I vote in polls?
Only registered users can vote in polls so as to prevent spoofing of results. If you have registered and still cannot vote then you probably do not have appropriate access rights.

Last edited by Admiral Bobbery on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Troopa's Treats    
King of Koopas
Lord Bowser

HP: 97 MP: 10 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:51 pm   Reply with quote

Maybe if YOU posted more, Troopa, I'd actually PAY ATTENTION to what you wrote!
Bowser'z!    
Jr. Troopa
Admiral Bobbery

HP: 15 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:10 pm   Reply with quote

I just got back from a trip. Cut me some slack.
Troopa's Treats    
ERECTIN' A DICK
Miku Hatsune
Vampire

HP: 5 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:10 pm   Reply with quote

I like this.
Anime and Image Shop    
Burn them out
rawrskey
Benned Vampire
Benned

HP: 70 MP: 5 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:20 pm   Reply with quote

I'm not reading this crap.

If someone needs help on how to post, they get the damn banhammer. From my SOUL.
rawrshop    
ERECTIN' A DICK
Miku Hatsune
Vampire

HP: 5 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:31 pm   Reply with quote

stop posting that crap.
Anime and Image Shop    
Burn them out
rawrskey
Benned Vampire
Benned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:35 pm   Reply with quote

Sasuke wrote:
stop posting that crap.

Stop posting PERIOD. All you do is whine, complain, spam, and derail.
rawrshop    
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:01 pm   Reply with quote

Nice post.. its amazing how many people don't know these basics. For some this is thieir first forum. But.. sadly the ones who need to read this probably never will.
Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
Burn them out
rawrskey
Benned Vampire
Benned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:03 pm   Reply with quote

Francis wrote:
Nice post.. its amazing how many people don't know these basics. For some this is thieir first forum. But.. sadly the ones who need to read this probably never will.

I was trying to make that point, but it ended up being more aggressive.
rawrshop    
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:30 pm   Reply with quote

PoorlyDrawnFinalBoss wrote:
Francis wrote:

Yeah, you should work on that.. you have potential
Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
Burn them out
rawrskey
Benned Vampire
Benned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:32 pm   Reply with quote

Francis wrote:
PoorlyDrawnFinalBoss wrote:
Francis wrote:

Yeah, you should work on that.. you have potential

sorry. I feel less flame-y now.
rawrshop    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Hi-Technical Support