digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Flamebait ?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Hi-Technical Support
Mariofan9

HP: 50 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:23 pm   Reply with quote

Hello. Sorry if this is out of place or just plain stupid, but ...

Recently, I've been seeing some stuff happening in the forum "Gaming". People have started to flame each other's consoles a bit. After a topic full of anti-Wii remarks, I got stingy myself, I admit.

If someone says "Take a PS3, because Wii sucks", is this flamebait? See, the second remark is unnecessary and not voiced in a friendly manner either.

Now, my question is: If someone attacks a console or just preference in general, can such a post be reported as flamebait? Thanks for your answer.
Shop of Identities    
Ocelot
Twytch

HP: 100 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:06 pm   Reply with quote

If they are saying that you personally suck for choosing a console, it's flamebait.

If someone is expressing their opinion on a console and not a particular person in general, it should not be considered flamebait. And wanting to mark something as flamebait just because it's "Anti-Wii" is idiotic, I have to say.

If somebody gets offended over a remark made about an electronic device, they have bigger problems than getting flamed.
Outer Heaven    
PEPSIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
Cherry
Vampire

HP: 65 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:05 pm   Reply with quote

Person A wrote:
The PS3 is a lot better than the Wii. The Wii blows.

This is an example of an opinion stated harshly, at the very most. It can trigger a flamewar, but it in itself is not flamebait.

Person B wrote:
The Wii is for faggots.

This is flamebait; pinning a negitive label on a group.

Person C wrote:
Person D is a fag because he plays Wii.

This is a flame; singling out a single person and insulting them.
Console Merchandise    
Mariofan9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:14 pm   Reply with quote

Santa Snake wrote:
If they are saying that you personally suck for choosing a console, it's flamebait.

If someone is expressing their opinion on a console and not a particular person in general, it should not be considered flamebait. And wanting to mark something as flamebait just because it's "Anti-Wii" is idiotic, I have to say.

If somebody gets offended over a remark made about an electronic device, they have bigger problems than getting flamed.

Very well. You still don't come off as wise or intelligent if you keep attacking a console, though. It's very unfriendly.

Cherry wrote:
Person A wrote:

This is an example of an opinion stated harshly, at the very most. It can trigger a flamewar, but it in itself is not flamebait.

Person B wrote:
The Wii is for faggots.

Person C wrote:

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Still, harshly stated opinions are more or less annoying and I wish there'd be a rule against those also. But anyway, thanks again.
Shop of Identities    
Ocelot
Twytch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:01 pm   Reply with quote

Mariofan9 wrote:
Santa Snake wrote:

Very well. You still don't come off as wise or intelligent if you keep attacking a console, though. It's very unfriendly.

A) I don't care about coming off wise or intelligent to somebody who really has no right to judge.

B) That last statement was really hypocritical.
Outer Heaven    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:07 pm   Reply with quote

That topic lacks flamebait. If you feel offended by it, simply do not post.
The Town of Lix    
The dude of all marios
Super Mario-Dude

HP: 10 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:49 am   Reply with quote

Yes, but people get offended and want to post back, insulting them back or disproving them. Thats how the flamewar starts.
Mario-Dude's Shop    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:13 pm   Reply with quote

Responding to flamebait is actually causing flame, so even if one used flamebait, responding to it would be flaming. So if you can't handle it, just leave the topic. It's not like you're bound there.
The Town of Lix    
Wacko McGoose
Launching Star
Jailed
Jailed

HP: 10 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:16 pm   Reply with quote

Mariofan9 wrote:
Cherry wrote:
Person A wrote:

Person B wrote:
The Wii is for faggots.

Person C wrote:

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Still, harshly stated opinions are more or less annoying and I wish there'd be a rule against those also. But anyway, thanks again.
You can't get benned for having an opinion. It's against the laws of the internet. And I am not talking about the list of rules on ED. I mean the actual laws that govern how things go on the internet. Having an opinion is what keeps the internet from becoming just a pile of whatsit and random "facts".
Wacko's BURNINATED Gag Shop    
Mariofan9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:57 pm   Reply with quote

Launching Star wrote:
Mariofan9 wrote:
Cherry wrote:
Person A wrote:

Person B wrote:
The Wii is for faggots.

Person C wrote:

You can't get benned for having an opinion. It's against the laws of the internet. And I am not talking about the list of rules on ED. I mean the actual laws that govern how things go on the internet. Having an opinion is what keeps the internet from becoming just a pile of whatsit and random "facts".

I know. But I think it should be forbidden to bring your opinion so harshly and unfriendly.

Allow me to give a good and bad example of the same opinion:

Good:
"In my opinion the Wii is a terrible console. It offers very little that suits my taste."

Bad:
"The Wii SUCKS. It has no hardcore games and only stuff for KIDS."

Why is this bad? First of all, a crude statement, and secondly, two debatable statements that are said as fact.
Shop of Identities    
Ocelot
Twytch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:50 pm   Reply with quote

I for one vote that you should just let the *crag* thing go already.
Outer Heaven    
PEPSIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
Cherry
Vampire

HP: 65 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:24 pm   Reply with quote

Mariofan9 wrote:

Why is this bad? First of all, a crude statement, and secondly, two debatable statements that are said as fact.
Stating what you believe as fact is perfectly acceptable, because common sense dictates that you are not actually stating fact.

When scientists write hypotheses, they omit "I think..." or "I predict..." because they realize it's totally arbitrary.

By your logic, your signature is flamebait, as it states your OPINION that Jesus Christ is the lord and savior. It's not proven fact, so it is opinion.
Console Merchandise    
Mariofan9

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:58 am   Reply with quote

Cherry wrote:
Mariofan9 wrote:

By your logic, your signature is flamebait, as it states your OPINION that Jesus Christ is the lord and savior. It's not proven fact, so it is opinion.

One difference: My signature is an opinion statement that promotes my own, not attacks the other. Might I add that the statement in my signature is plain, but far from crude?

Santa Snake wrote:
I for one vote that you should just let the *crag* thing go already.

Agreed. After the thirst three posts, I already had what I was looking for, but it's in my nature to reply to every reply as well as I can.
Shop of Identities    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Hi-Technical Support