digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Serious computer problems.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Hi-Technical Support
Addicted to linebreaks
Plastic Mario
Vampire

HP: 94 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:58 pm   Reply with quote

So, a windows update happened.

It updated my video drivers, which is exactly what I've been avoiding in every possible way for the last two years. Why?

The second I turned on my comp after the update finished, it crashes.

I try it again. It crashes.

I finally get it running again. I log in to my desktop.

The resolution is smaller than 800x600 (My 18 desktop icons take up the entire screen, and I can barely see my wallpaper), when the properties says it's 1152x864, all text is at least three times bigger than it should be (And the only text size options I'm given are Normal, Large and Extra large, it's on normal right now), and everything's loading at less than 1/4 the speed that it should.

I did a system restore, which fixed everything.

As soon as I log onto my desktop again after the system restore, it gives me the message. "You need to restart your computer for your updates to take effect. Automatically restarting in five minutes." I cancel, because I know that's going to kill my computer again.

And the message pops up every 10 minutes, every time I cancel. I've gone through this process maybe 5 times, so I know it's the update that's the cause.

What I need to know is... Is there any way to delete a windows update before it actually installs? I have no restore points before a few days ago, when the update was already downloaded but waiting to be installed.

If there is no way to delete it, then I've officially lost my best friend, my computer that I've been using ever since I was born.
Fiberglass World    
Jr. Troopa
Admiral Bobbery

HP: 15 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:05 am   Reply with quote

Here's how you turn off a windows update: Control Panel > Automatic Updates > Turn off Automatic Updates. That should fix all those updates trying to come in and installing whenever it wants to.
Troopa's Treats    
Wacko McGoose
Launching Star
Jailed
Jailed

HP: 10 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:37 pm   Reply with quote

Automatic Updates suck. Especially that I'm on my Windows 2000 computer, which Microsoft officially doesn't support anymore. I have to wait about 30 seconds to bypass a stupid "trial version" window just to use freaking WinZip, and anything I download from the internet gets immediately SpyBot'd before I can use it... (About that last part... It doesn't do it to MP3s, and besides, having .pdf files SpyBot'd is better than my computer asploding a la sbemail 118. And SpyBot is an antivirus program...)
Wacko's BURNINATED Gag Shop    
Addicted to linebreaks
Plastic Mario
Vampire

HP: 94 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:57 pm   Reply with quote

Jr. Troopa wrote:
Here's how you turn off a windows update: Control Panel > Automatic Updates > Turn off Automatic Updates. That should fix all those updates trying to come in and installing whenever it wants to.
I think I'm going to shoot myself for not noticing that before. D:

Anyways, THANK YOU. I do believe you have just saved my computer from certain doom.
Fiberglass World    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Hi-Technical Support