digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Final Fantasy IX
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Your Groups -> Final Fantasy Freakz
Strawberry-san
Celeste Dimentia

HP: 100 MP: 0 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:42 am   Reply with quote

The 'odd' cousin that nobody remembers...

Final Fantasy IX is my favorite installment in the series.

What do you guys think about this game?

I hardly even knew it existed for a long time... most people gloss right over it when mentioning FF's, it seems. It's odd to me, because I think this is a really good game. My second favorite FF after this is Final Fantasy VI.
Dimension D    
RaveRaze
Mana7
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:37 pm   Reply with quote

Vivi was the best character in any Final Fantasy Game ever EVAR. and yeah its probably my favorite game in the series
Choco's    
bobz
bobzearth42

HP: 10 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:38 pm   Reply with quote

I dunno what you're talking about, that's one of the main FFs I usually hear people talk about. People call it underrated, when in reality it's gotten the fame it deserves.

I just recently got this game last month, and it is indeed one of the better FFs. I'm only at the third disk, I have to find all the shrines for the mirrors to enter Terra. 3:|════׀
bobzearth42's Shop    
Parabuzzy Queen
Macha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:35 pm   Reply with quote

Ah my god, FFIX. I agree--it doesn't get half the love it deserves.

Zidane is still my favorite FF hero. :3

...and... I'm still ridiculously underlevelled and stuck at Memoria. :c
Buzzy Mart    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:13 pm   Reply with quote

My order of greatness is as follows.

1) FFVI
2) FFV
3) FFIV
4) FFIX
5) FFII(Plot-wise, really)
6) FFI
7) FFX
Cool FFXII
9) FFVIII
10) FFIII
11) FFVII

It's certainly a great game, but I didn't like the characters too much, and the plot seemed rather story-based at times, too.
The Town of Lix    
Strawberry-san
Celeste Dimentia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:24 pm   Reply with quote

Well, I thought the plot was similar to a play on purpose. It's no coincidence the game starts and ends with a play within itself.
Dimension D    
Parabuzzy Queen
Macha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:36 pm   Reply with quote

That's probably exactly why I liked it. I love story-based games... nothing else quite like 'em.

I didn't see much of a problem with the characters, though.
Buzzy Mart    
Strawberry-san
Celeste Dimentia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:54 pm   Reply with quote

I really liked Final Fantasy IX's characters; Kuja is my favorite.
Dimension D    
Cid
Lord Krump

HP: 60 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:31 am   Reply with quote

Bartz Klauser wrote:

1) FFVI
2) FFV
3) FFIV
4) FFIX
6) FFI
7) FFX
Cool FFXII
9) FFVIII
10) FFIII
11) FFVII

It's certainly a great game, but I didn't like the characters too much, and the plot seemed rather story-based at times, too.

I honestly don't see how you can place FF1, II, and III above VII (If we're judging the plot; especially considering the simplicity and cliches of those games' narratives). I can understand if you don't like it or think that it's overrated, but the hatred you've displayed for the game just seems a little too... extreme.

With that said, yeah, FFIX is one of the best games in the series. Truly a remarkable game, in all respects.
The Highwind Goods Store    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:37 pm   Reply with quote

$AGE wrote:
Bartz Klauser wrote:

1) FFVI
2) FFV
3) FFIV
4) FFIX
6) FFI
7) FFX
Cool FFXII
9) FFVIII
10) FFIII
11) FFVII

I honestly don't see how you can place FF1, II, and III above VII (If we're judging the plot; especially considering the simplicity and cliches of those games' narratives). I can understand if you don't like it or think that it's overrated, but the hatred you've displayed for the game just seems a little too... extreme.

With that said, yeah, FFIX is one of the best games in the series. Truly a remarkable game, in all respects.
I certainly dislike it, and I don't really see what's so great about it. But they're all good games, but I liked FFVII the least out of all of them. II had an amazing story, IMO, and I was amazing, seeing as how it was just an NES game. VII had a rather sub-par plot, IMO, when compared to VI, VIII, or IX, and I actually found III rather playable. Most people complain about it, but it's just the leveling feature, and lack of character emphasis. If you scale everything to a level of characterization, memory and etc. to the level of FFVII, I'd say that I, II and III are certainly better. Also: I haven't actually blasted out my hatred for the game, unlike a lot of people. I'm not an "FFVII-tard", not a "anti-FFVII-tard." Whenever I talk about it, it's usually in a negative tone, critiquing the many cliche's the game has spawned, such as "Big Sword, Spiky Hair" and "Long-Haired Prettyboy". I never really liked the characters, either, so maybe that's why. I never got the Galuf/Gilgamesh/Zell/Zidane/Cecil/Locke feel from any of the VII characters.

I would actually say fan hype utterly killed it for me, thus giving it a low score on my list of FF games.

Note: It's not actually a bad game. It's just a not-so-great FF game, which is pretty amazing.
The Town of Lix    
Cid
Lord Krump

HP: 60 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:19 pm   Reply with quote

Bartz Klauser wrote:
I certainly dislike it, and I don't really see what's so great about it. But they're all good games, but I liked FFVII the least out of all of them.

It's like OoT. I don't necessarily find it as great as everyone makes it out to be, and certainly don't view it as the best game ever, but I do acknowledge that it is worthy of memory because it was a huge step forward for the series, and for its genre. Quite like how FFVII was a step forward for JRPGs.

Quote:
II had an amazing story, IMO, and I was amazing, seeing as how it was just an NES game.

I don't see why you find it amazing, though. "Rebels fighting against evil empires" is a concept that was present in other media long before FFII came out (And it was certainly presented in a better way, as well). It may have been a step forward for the series, but by current RPG standards, I don't find it special, at all.

Quote:
If you scale everything to a level of characterization, memory and etc. to the level of FFVII, I'd say that I, II and III are certainly better.

FFI, however, didn't have much characterization. II's characters were simple, and the plot premise was nothing original (Evil empire trying to conquer the world.) IIn terms of plot, FFVII had a far more complex- and certainly more original- narrative than the earliest FFs. Instead of evil empires, knights, and evil demons, we have world-controlling energy corporations, a cyberpunk atmosphere, and a villain who is in a constant state of stasis, using psychology to control the protagonist throughout most of the game, and fragments of an alien organism to physically advance his plan.

Was the game different from the rest of the series? Yes, but it is undeniable that the lore behind FFVII was incredibly intricate and detailed, at least for its time.

Quote:
Whenever I talk about it, it's usually in a negative tone, critiquing the many cliche's the game has spawned, such as "Big Sword, Spiky Hair" and "Long-Haired Prettyboy".

Each of the FFs spawned a number of cliches; for instance, FFIV propagated the "dark warrior trying to abandon his past" character archetype as well as the "cute little kids" sidekick cliche. FFVI spawned a number of character archetypes that were mimicked by later JRPGs, as well.

Final Fantasy is the series that all other JRPG developers want their games to be, so it's only reasonable to expect each title to spawn a number of genre standards and archetypes.

Quote:
I never really liked the characters, either, so maybe that's why. I never got the Galuf/Gilgamesh/Zell/Zidane/Cecil/Locke feel from any of the VII characters.

Well, again, I disagree. Red XIII was one of the most intriguing characters in the series, and Cid Highwind definitely had the most likeable attitude out of all the other Cids. Barret Wallace- although often disliked because of his resemblence to Mr. T- provided a fair amount of humor throughout the game. The female characters were more strong-willed than in most JRPGs, which I felt was a welcome change.

Now, of course, it didn't give off a feel reminiscent of other FF characters, but that's why I liked it; it had its own feel.

Quote:
I would actually say fan hype utterly killed it for me, thus giving it a low score on my list of FF games.

Most of the time, when there's an arguement over "which is the best FF ever," fans often put up FFVI and FFVII against each other.

And that is why I felt the same way about FFVI. FFVI may be my favorite old-school FF, but the way people made it out to be left me feeling disappointed. Kefka was awesome, yes; however, the momentum of the game's plot- which was quite interesting throughout the first half of the game- suddenly started to slow down later in the game.

Which is why I'm not hoping for a mere remake, but a "re-do" of FFVI.

Quote:
Note: It's not actually a bad game. It's just a not-so-great FF game, which is pretty amazing.[/color]

Agree to disagree, I guess.
The Highwind Goods Store    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:20 pm   Reply with quote

Let's just stick to our own opinions before each of our posts become so huge, we could write entire encyclopedias on them, 'K?
The Town of Lix    
Parabuzzy Queen
Macha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:04 pm   Reply with quote

Aaaas you can probably tell, I've gotten back into FFIX a bit... :3;

I really still need to beat Necron. D:
Buzzy Mart    
Bartz Klauser
BAMFing ARCHER
Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:09 pm   Reply with quote

Zidane Tribal wrote:

Status immunities save you from that Exdeath-ripoff's best move.

Although Exdeath's best move may be Almagest, Grand Cross is still pretty devastating.
The Town of Lix    
Parabuzzy Queen
Macha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:19 pm   Reply with quote

Bartz Klauser wrote:
Zidane Tribal wrote:

Status immunities save you from that Exdeath-ripoff's best move.

Although Exdeath's best move may be Almagest, Grand Cross is still pretty devastating.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying.

Urgh, stone status. >_<
Buzzy Mart    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Your Groups