digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Watchmen Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Media
PC Gamer
Alexio
Vampire

HP: 15 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:30 pm   Reply with quote

This is gonna be a short review of the film Watchmen. We all know movies will never be as good as it's book counterparts and it's true for Watchmen. The acting for Rorschach was amazing. You could argue that it was better than Heath Legder's Joker because he got the character so perfectly. The Comedian. Niteowl II, and Dr. Manhattan were also great actors. Ozymandias wasn't as great. Silk Spectre II wasn't really good, and kind of ruined the Mars scene, which is one of the most important parts in the graphic novel. The violence was perfect for Watchmen though some parts were a bit over the top like when they cut off the guy's arms because it got stuck in Rorschach's jail cell. That didn't happen in the book, but it was alright. The sex scene was way overdone and had the audience laughing. For the people who never read the comic it could get a bit confusing. They never explained Rorschach's moving mask and Ozymandias's "cat" appeared from nowhere. They left out scenes that I liked in the comic such as Hollis Mason's death, Tales of The Black Freighter, and the lives of the average New Yorkers like the psychiatrist (Malcolm), the kid reading the comics, the guy selling the newspapers, and the guy holding the signs. Without those scenes it left less of an impact of unmasking Rorschach and the destruction in New York City. Another reason why the destruction of New York City didn't have much of an impact on me in the movie is because it didn't any carnage at all since everybody vaporized instead of being killed by an "alien". The scene still made sense and tied in with the comic nicely. Though Watchmen wasn't meant for the action the fight scenes were great. The slow motion isn't overused if that is what you're afraid of. The music choice was a bit odd even though the lyrics fit in with the comic. There wasn't enough Rorschach back story. A few scenes in the movie were better than the comic like the confrontation with Ozymandias[/spoilers] and [spoiler]Rorschach's death. Overall I was very satisfied with the movie. This is not to be compared with The Dark Knight. I was only comparing acting. This isn't your average superhero movie where there is a superhero fighting bad guys and eventually a showdown with the main villain, so don't come in the theaters expecting that. This is not a family movie and is not a movie for kids. It isn't rated R for Rainbows.
Shop of Alex    
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:20 am   Reply with quote

I concur.

Another change that I didn't like was how Rorschach killed the girl-killer by wailing on his head with a meat cleaver. I thought what he did in the book was much smarter and more in line with his character. I don't understand why they made the movie so much more gory than the book at times.

Overall though, it was a great movie and adaptation.
Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
THE BIRTHDAY GIRL
King Harkinian
Burning

HP: 88 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:30 pm   Reply with quote

I loved it.
The King's Chamber    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Media