digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Totally Not-Obvious LBP Rip-Off Coming to XBLA

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews
lolz
Shrowser

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:56 pm   Reply with quote

Magnetic Mind

I realize it's a tiny Indie group making this and they're just experimenting with the XNA Game Studio, but Jesus, think of your own damn ideas.
Shrowser's Shop    
oar
Super Maiq the Liar

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:59 pm   Reply with quote

The beginning screamed LBP rip-off, but when it went to the kitchen, it began to look more like an N64 Platformer, since it wasn't locked to three planes.
Tamriellic Titles    
That would be your mother
Dino Piranha

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:02 pm   Reply with quote

Well, yes, looks like its going to be quite a bit like LBP, with some few minor things added, it doesn't look very interesting if you ask me, maybe because I already have a game a lot like it.

Hellza Ballza
Goron Mask
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:32 pm   Reply with quote

Is it wrong that I think this looks better than LBP?
Some store that sells shit    
darkzero
Rusty Shackleford
Vampire

HP: 1 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:38 pm   Reply with quote

Goron Mask wrote:
Anything is better
darkzero's Bargain shop    
TooManyToasters
Paper_Waluigi

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:13 am   Reply with quote

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)
Sigh. I feel really bad for the developers. Here they have this really impressive and beautiful game and the first thing that crosses peoples' minds is "LBP rip-off!"
Yes, there are some obvious similarities in art style. They look a lot alike at first glance, but when you think about it, the similarity in the concepts is very vague. LBP's gameplay is focused on user-created content. Magnetic Mind looks like an almost-3D platformer that's just a single-player campaign.
There are a lot of similarities, but calling it a rip-off is going a little too far. Here's what Oliver said if you didn't read the comments.
Oliver Schulze wrote:
Hi,

I am the main developer of Magnetic Mind, and I feel, I have to make some comments on that game:

First: this game is not from Microsoft and we are not related to them! And Magnetic Mind is not thought to be a rip-off of LBP and it is not thought to be a game, that should show, that a LBP is possible on a XBox.

We are 3 hobbyists, that just wanted to make a funny game for the XBox (made possible with the Indie-Game-Channel on XBox Live). We made this besides our normal work in the evenings. So it is just a hobby and has no commercial background. The competition Dream Build Play from Microsoft is a great way, to compete with other Indie-Game-Developers.

To the game: Magnetic Mind is a little bit inspired by Little Big Planet, that’s right. The idea grew as follows: We wanted to make a 3D – sidescrolling Jump and Run game with great graphics. Someday we saw a video of LBP and were very impressed by its style and visuals. So we used some of its elements in our game: The depth of field for example and the camera positioning. The idea, to make a guy, that finds itself in a large world, was born before we meet LBP.

But the gameplay and story itself differs very much from LBP. We tried to make an environment, that is very close to reallity as you can see in the kitchen-Level.

Conclusion: Magnetic Mind does not want to be a clone of LBP it is only inspired by it. And of course LBP is much more than Magnetic Mind, please keep in mind, that we are 3 guys, that are working on the game in the evenings and that we do this as a hobby.

We never had thought, that Magnetic Mind would start such a flame-war (this article here is not the only one where such discussions have arrised!!).

Many greetings

the developers of Magnetic Mind

Also this was made by 3 people in their spare time and that is really really really *crag* impressive.
asdf    
Flavio
Vampire

HP: 4 MP: 7 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:27 am   Reply with quote

darkzero wrote:
Goron Mask wrote:
Anything is better

Oh, you!
R!T!E!M! A store of pure win    
Sync
MALAK

HP: 10 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:34 am   Reply with quote

So let me get this straight. The fact the the platforming system is similar to LBP makes it an LBP ripoff?

Oh lawdy, what has the world come to.
Hammerspace    
Yellow Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:58 am   Reply with quote

Sync wrote:
So let me get this straight. The fact the the platforming system is similar to LBP makes it an LBP ripoff?

Oh lawdy, what has the world come to.

ON SONIC YOU JUMP ONTO PLATFORMS AND IT HAS LEVELS AND YOU COLLECT GOLD SHIT IT'S LIKE SUCH A RIPOFF OF MARIO OMFG
Pipe Land Goods    
Tails Doll

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:56 am   Reply with quote

They said there was realtime fluid physics. And yet, when the dude jumped onto the sponge, the "water" didn't even do anything. What a load of bullshit right there!
Hell    
Larry Koopa
Sam

HP: 35 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:23 am   Reply with quote

It looks very bland and boring.
Koop    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews