digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

[Review] Maple Story

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews
Addicted to linebreaks
Plastic Mario
Vampire

HP: 94 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:05 pm   Reply with quote

I'm writing this completely from my point of view. If you disagree, then post your opinion. Don't flame me or anything. Especially, you, Tempast.

The first time I downloaded Maple Story, I was excited. I couldn't wait to make a character and join the "online revolution" that everybody is talking about. The second I start, I create a mage, because I read that later on I can be a cleric. I like helping people out, so I'll heal them.

So I start out. I go through the newbie island no problem. Except for one problem. There is ALWAYS some higher level jerk stealing your kills. It's almost impossible to get your own space for training.

I became a full fledged magician at level 8. I could hardly contain my excitement as I noticed I was going up in the world.

Fast forwarding to level 20. I'm growing slightly tired of the game already, and I've been playing for less than a week. It has to be the most grinding-intensive games I've ever played. The quests can sometimes take weeks, for miniscule rewards.

Right now, I'm level 44. And I quit the game months ago. First off, the most significant thing that deteriorates the game is the community. You won't get any support when you're just starting out. All you get is people laughing at you and calling you a noob.

Now, there's this system called "Fame". You are allowed to raise or lower somebody's fame by 1 every day. People buy fame all the time, for an average price of 10,000 mesos. However, thanks to the inconsiderate community out there, even being in the same area as somebody who is training will get you defamed. If they're in a guild, you can expect 10+ defames. Simply for passing by an area where somebody is training.

If you are already training in an area, in all likelyhood, somebody will come in, start stealing your kills and defame you, claiming they were there first. I was at a spot for an hour, training once. A person comes in, and 5 minutes later, I have 25 less fame because "I already defamed him, and he was there first". They'll even report you for harassing them. Chances are, if you try to report them back, you'll get banned for "Sending a false report", because they will believe the mass group over the one person.

Now, as I said before, I was a magician class. But I was CONSTANTLY being KS(Kill steal)ed. When I ask why, people say "Mages always KS everyone else first!" Then I get defamed. What the hell. I'm being picked on because other people similar to me are being jerks.

There's illegal programs to hack MS. People use it for everything from keylogging other people to "vaccuming" all the enemies to one spot for them only to train on, to godmodding, to infinate damage, to forced spawn, to... The list goes on. A hacker once defamed me 10 times in seconds with his hacks. And about 25% of the entire MS community use hacks. You can do all you want. Take a screenshot, report them with a chatlog included, catching them admitting to hacks, even recording it and posting it on Youtube. If you send them a video of somebody hacking, they respond with "We will not take action against the player without more definitive evidence". How can you get more definitive?

Second is the cash system. You can spend $5 U.S for 5000 NX cash, which you can use to purchase special items. Unfortunately, more than 90% of that stuff is just clothing that does nothing other than alters your look. The other things, such as megaphones that let you send a message to the entire world, is heavily abused. People spend $1.30 U.S to say "HI!" to everybody. Just 2 days ago, a person counted from 1 to 100, each on a seperate megaphone. That is $130 U.S. completely wasted. You could save 50 children with that money!

You can buy small scale megaphones for only 30 cents. This shouts a message to everybody on your channel. There are 20 channels in a world. If you play Hero Online, shouting to your "Channel" is free(There are only 10 "channels" in HO), and shouting a message to every person online costs an average of 6 cents.

On average (I counted), approximately 500 megaphones are used every hour. That's 12,000 a day. And only in one world. I believe there are... 7 worlds? 84,000 a day. Each one costing $1.30. That means Wizet / Nexon makes at least $109,200 every day on pointless messages! And that isn't even counting the other things bought with cash! Megaphones account for about 25% of all cash shop sales. That means these people are making $436,800 for hosting a game that's falling apart, if it isn't already dead.

There is also an option in-game for marrying another person. The average cost of a wedding is $20. There are about 10 weddings an hour. figure that one out.

Now, there are moderators on MS too, known as GMs. Unfortunately, there is about 1 GM per world. Which are on about 1 hour a week. If you report a bad player, It's guarenteed nothing will happen to them, unless the GM gets 500 reports of the same thing. And no action will be taken against the person for days.

Sound: 5/10. The music in some places is well composed, and quite catchy sometimes. But the rest of the music is just plain annoying, and the repeated sound effects can drive you insane.

Graphics: 7/10. The people and NPCs are done in anime style, and most of the enemies are very detailed.

Story: 0/10. Unfortunately, Maple Story has no story at all. It's simply random killing and doing tedious quests.

Gameplay: 3/10. If you're looking for something to suck up hours of your time, then go ahead and download this game. Pressing the same button thousands of times in a row can be quite entertaining. Why else would millions of people do so all day?

Community: 0/10. I already described this.

Fun factor: 1/10. The only fun I can get out of this is after I finally hear the death cry of a very tough boss. Which, unfortunately, happens very rarely.

Overall: 3/10. If you have a huge amount of money you want to spend, or you're desperate to get addicted to something, this is the game for you.
Fiberglass World    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:37 pm   Reply with quote

I agree completely, the game is just not good.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA
Francine

HP: 78 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:37 pm   Reply with quote

I quit at level 47, but I sometimes go on my friend's account. She's throughly addicted and level 80, so I'd go around and use all her cool high level moves. Also, she buys NX so she has all this pretty stuff.
The Shop on a Hill    
Tails Doll

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:46 pm   Reply with quote

I hacked that game, with the help of my bud. We *crag* the hell out of it.

Plastic Mario wrote:
Just 2 days ago, a person counted from 1 to 100, each on a seperate megaphone. That is $130 U.S. completely wasted. You could save 50 children with that money!

This is AMERICA, we don't give a shit about the third world, and we never, ever will.
Hell    
Burn them out
rawrskey
Benned Vampire
Benned

HP: 70 MP: 5 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:23 pm   Reply with quote

you're looking at the game the wrong way.

It's a piece of crap, if you give it anything better than a 1/100 for any score, you must die.

I am however tempted to make a new account to see how far I can get without killing my own monsters.
rawrshop    
Super ShadowArticuno

HP: 99 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:26 pm   Reply with quote

I enjoy the platforming aspect of the game, but the community is really mean. I'm level 11, trying to get by in the world on very little mesos.

Me: I need some items for a quest.
Girl: lol i'l giv u 1 4 1K mesos lol
A Bucket of Stuff    
Addicted to linebreaks
Plastic Mario
Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:29 pm   Reply with quote

Winry wrote:
you're looking at the game the wrong way.

It's a piece of crap, if you give it anything better than a 1/100 for any score, you must die.

I am however tempted to make a new account to see how far I can get without killing my own monsters.

Plastic Mario wrote:
I'm writing this completely from my point of view. If you disagree, then post your opinion. Don't flame me or anything.

I find the Ellinia music catchy. Also the tomb near Perion.
Fiberglass World    
Yellow Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:36 pm   Reply with quote

Boshi wrote:
I hacked that game, with the help of my bud. We *crag* the hell out of it.

Plastic Mario wrote:
Just 2 days ago, a person counted from 1 to 100, each on a seperate megaphone. That is $130 U.S. completely wasted. You could save 50 children with that money!

This is AMERICA, we don't give a shit about the third world, and we never, ever will.

Amen, brother.

Anyway, how'd you hack it?
Pipe Land Goods    
Addicted to linebreaks
Plastic Mario
Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:42 pm   Reply with quote

I tried to hack once, just to see if I could do it. It is sooo friggen complicated. >.>

The best known GameGuard bypass got blocked. Which means... Hackers are smarter than they seem. o.o
Fiberglass World    
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA
Francine

HP: 78 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:44 pm   Reply with quote

Plastic Mario wrote:
I tried to hack once, just to see if I could do it. It is sooo friggen complicated. >.>

The best known GameGuard bypass got blocked. Which means... Hackers are smarter than they seem. o.o

My friend just hacks when she's bored, good sir. Hers is pretty simple.
The Shop on a Hill    
Black Yoshi
Vampire

HP: 31 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:05 pm   Reply with quote

I considered trying this out, but between GW, SL, and the random crash-spazzes my internet has, I decided I wouldn't try it.
The Domain of Secrets    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:10 pm   Reply with quote

Ive been trying to move away from MMOs recently since almost everyone is a farm fest, though GW isn't and I still play it from time to time.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
oar
Super Maiq the Liar

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:42 am   Reply with quote

Plastic Mario wrote:
Pressing the same button thousands of times in a row can be quite entertaining.

Just wanted to point this out, but you do that in a big majority of games. Confused
Tamriellic Titles    
Token Nazi?
Zelnor

HP: 10 MP: 7 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:53 am   Reply with quote

MapleStory vs. WoW - The cost fight of the milennium !

MapleStory just sucks. Thankfully instead of a month i got that one right over the course of one rainy sunday. Maybe I'll download it again to hack the hell out of it. Wait, no, then I would be at the same level as all the idiots in there. Somebody kill it, please. It's... disturbing. It's even worse then watching the Spice Girls movie. With the sound on.
Twilit Mall: Zelnor Mart    
I TROL U
Mantis15

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:14 am   Reply with quote

I don't get why my friends like Maple Story. I tried it once and it's IMPOSSIBLE to level up easly in the game. Plus the quests give little reward.
Relations 'R' Us    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews