digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

What is a man?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion
? Block
Fancy Wario

HP: 69 MP: 8 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:34 pm   Reply with quote

Well?
ashdgbdsahvdsajghdasvgsahdvsagsa    
augh!
Piccolo the Pixl

HP: 44 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:36 pm   Reply with quote

man1 /mæn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[man] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, plural men, verb, manned, man·ning, interjection
–noun
1. an adult male person, as distinguished from a boy or a woman.
2. a member of the species Homo sapiens or all the members of this species collectively, without regard to sex: prehistoric man.
3. the human individual as representing the species, without reference to sex; the human race; humankind: Man hopes for peace, but prepares for war.
4. a human being; person: to give a man a chance; When the audience smelled the smoke, it was every man for himself.
5. a husband.
6. a male lover or sweetheart.
7. a male follower or subordinate: the king's men. He's the boss's number one man.
8. a male employee or representative, esp. of a company or agency: a Secret Service man; a man from the phone company.
9. a male having qualities considered typical of men or appropriately masculine: Be a man. The army will make a man of you.
10. a male servant.
11. a valet.
12. enlisted man.
13. an enthusiast or devotee: I like jazz, but I'm essentially a classics man.
14. Slang. male friend; ally: You're my main man.
15. a term of familiar address to a man; fellow: Now, now, my good man, please calm down.
16. Slang. a term of familiar address to a man or a woman: Hey, man, take it easy.
17. one of the pieces used in playing certain games, as chess or checkers.
18. History/Historical. a liegeman; vassal.
19. Obsolete. manly character or courage.
20. the man, Slang.
a. a person or group asserting authority or power over another, esp. in a manner experienced as being oppressive, demeaning, or threatening, as an employer, the police, or a dominating racial group.
b. a person or group upon whom one is dependent, as the drug supplier for an addict.
Also, the Man.
–verb (used with object)
21. to furnish with men, as for service or defense.
22. to take one's place for service, as at a gun or post: to man the ramparts.
23. to strengthen, fortify, or brace; steel: to man oneself for the dangers ahead.
24. Falconry. to accustom (a hawk) to the presence of men.
–interjection
25. Slang. an expression of surprise, enthusiasm, dismay, or other strong feeling: Man, what a ball game!
—Idioms
26. as one man, in complete agreement or accord; unanimously: They arose as one man to protest the verdict.
27. be one's own man,
a. to be free from restrictions, control, or dictatorial influence; be independent: Now that he has a business he is his own man.
b. to be in complete command of one's faculties: After a refreshing nap he was again his own man.
28. man and boy, ever since childhood: He's been working that farm, man and boy, for more than 50 years.
29. man's man, a man who exemplifies masculine qualities.
30. to a man, with no exception; everyone; all: To a man, the members of the team did their best.
[Origin: bef. 900; (n.) ME; OE man(n); c. G Mann, D man, ON mathr, Goth manna; (v.) ME mannen, OE mannian to garrison]

—Related forms
manless, adjective
man·less·ly, adverb
man·less·ness, noun
manness, noun

—Synonyms Man, male, gentleman are nouns referring to adult human beings who are biologically male; that is, physiologically equipped to initiate conception but not to bear children. Man is the most general and most commonly used of the three; it can be neutral, lacking either favorable or unfavorable implication: a wealthy man; a man of strong character, of unbridled appetites. It can also signify possession of the most typical or desirable masculine qualities: to take one's punishment like a man. Male emphasizes the physical or sexual characteristics of a man; it may also refer to an animal or plant: a male in his prime; two males and three females in the pack; a male of the genus Ilex. In scientific and statistical use, male is the neutral contrastive term to female: 104 females to every 100 males; Among birds, the male is often more colorful than the female. Gentleman, once used only of men of high social rank, now also specifies a man of courtesy and consideration: a real gentleman; to behave like a gentleman. Gentleman is also used as a polite term of reference (This gentleman is waiting for a table) or, only in the plural, of address (Are we ready to begin, gentlemen?). See also manly, male.
—Usage note The use of man1 to mean “human being,” both alone and in compounds such as mankind, has met with objection in recent years, and the use is declining. The objection is based on the idea that man is most commonly used as an exclusive, sex-marked noun meaning “male human being.” Critics of the use of man as a generic maintain that it is sometimes ambiguous when the wider sense is intended (Man has built magnificent civilizations in the desert), but more often flatly discriminatory in that it slights or ignores the membership of women in the human race: The man in the street wants peace, not war.
Although some editors and writers reject or disregard these objections to man as a generic, many now choose instead to use such terms as human being(s), human race, humankind, people, or, when called for by style or context, women and men or men and women. See also -man, -person, -woman.
Piccolo's Goods    
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:37 pm   Reply with quote

Piccolo the Pixl wrote:
man1 /mæn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[man] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, plural men, verb, manned, man·ning, interjection
–noun
1. an adult male person, as distinguished from a boy or a woman.
2. a member of the species Homo sapiens or all the members of this species collectively, without regard to sex: prehistoric man.
3. the human individual as representing the species, without reference to sex; the human race; humankind: Man hopes for peace, but prepares for war.
4. a human being; person: to give a man a chance; When the audience smelled the smoke, it was every man for himself.
5. a husband.
6. a male lover or sweetheart.
7. a male follower or subordinate: the king's men. He's the boss's number one man.
8. a male employee or representative, esp. of a company or agency: a Secret Service man; a man from the phone company.
9. a male having qualities considered typical of men or appropriately masculine: Be a man. The army will make a man of you.
10. a male servant.
11. a valet.
12. enlisted man.
13. an enthusiast or devotee: I like jazz, but I'm essentially a classics man.
14. Slang. male friend; ally: You're my main man.
15. a term of familiar address to a man; fellow: Now, now, my good man, please calm down.
16. Slang. a term of familiar address to a man or a woman: Hey, man, take it easy.
17. one of the pieces used in playing certain games, as chess or checkers.
18. History/Historical. a liegeman; vassal.
19. Obsolete. manly character or courage.
20. the man, Slang.
a. a person or group asserting authority or power over another, esp. in a manner experienced as being oppressive, demeaning, or threatening, as an employer, the police, or a dominating racial group.
b. a person or group upon whom one is dependent, as the drug supplier for an addict.
Also, the Man.
–verb (used with object)
21. to furnish with men, as for service or defense.
22. to take one's place for service, as at a gun or post: to man the ramparts.
23. to strengthen, fortify, or brace; steel: to man oneself for the dangers ahead.
24. Falconry. to accustom (a hawk) to the presence of men.
–interjection
25. Slang. an expression of surprise, enthusiasm, dismay, or other strong feeling: Man, what a ball game!
—Idioms
26. as one man, in complete agreement or accord; unanimously: They arose as one man to protest the verdict.
27. be one's own man,
a. to be free from restrictions, control, or dictatorial influence; be independent: Now that he has a business he is his own man.
b. to be in complete command of one's faculties: After a refreshing nap he was again his own man.
28. man and boy, ever since childhood: He's been working that farm, man and boy, for more than 50 years.
29. man's man, a man who exemplifies masculine qualities.
30. to a man, with no exception; everyone; all: To a man, the members of the team did their best.
[Origin: bef. 900; (n.) ME; OE man(n); c. G Mann, D man, ON mathr, Goth manna; (v.) ME mannen, OE mannian to garrison]

—Related forms
manless, adjective
man·less·ly, adverb
man·less·ness, noun
manness, noun

—Synonyms Man, male, gentleman are nouns referring to adult human beings who are biologically male; that is, physiologically equipped to initiate conception but not to bear children. Man is the most general and most commonly used of the three; it can be neutral, lacking either favorable or unfavorable implication: a wealthy man; a man of strong character, of unbridled appetites. It can also signify possession of the most typical or desirable masculine qualities: to take one's punishment like a man. Male emphasizes the physical or sexual characteristics of a man; it may also refer to an animal or plant: a male in his prime; two males and three females in the pack; a male of the genus Ilex. In scientific and statistical use, male is the neutral contrastive term to female: 104 females to every 100 males; Among birds, the male is often more colorful than the female. Gentleman, once used only of men of high social rank, now also specifies a man of courtesy and consideration: a real gentleman; to behave like a gentleman. Gentleman is also used as a polite term of reference (This gentleman is waiting for a table) or, only in the plural, of address (Are we ready to begin, gentlemen?). See also manly, male.
—Usage note The use of man1 to mean “human being,” both alone and in compounds such as mankind, has met with objection in recent years, and the use is declining. The objection is based on the idea that man is most commonly used as an exclusive, sex-marked noun meaning “male human being.” Critics of the use of man as a generic maintain that it is sometimes ambiguous when the wider sense is intended (Man has built magnificent civilizations in the desert), but more often flatly discriminatory in that it slights or ignores the membership of women in the human race: The man in the street wants peace, not war.
Although some editors and writers reject or disregard these objections to man as a generic, many now choose instead to use such terms as human being(s), human race, humankind, people, or, when called for by style or context, women and men or men and women. See also -man, -person, -woman.

None of these were the definition I was looking for.
augh!
Piccolo the Pixl

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:40 pm   Reply with quote

Razz
Piccolo's Goods    
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:40 pm   Reply with quote

Come on...I know SOMEONE here must know it...
Current form: Normal
Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 38 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:47 pm   Reply with quote

In video games, it has been used synonymously with an extra life. It may go back to some point when the extra lives were thought of as different people or simply clones. An example of such a game would be octopus, in which there was a boat with three scuba divers in it that the player would control. When one of them died, the player would simply get to control the next one. When all three were dead, the game would be over.
Shop #42    
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:48 pm   Reply with quote

No. C'mon, anyone? SOMEBODY has to know the answer...if I don't have the correct answer by tomorrow, I guess I'll just tell you.
Pure Heart
Luvbi

HP: 10 MP: 1 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:50 pm   Reply with quote

A miserable little pile of secrets.
Overthere Stair    
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:51 pm   Reply with quote

Meh, close enough >_>
Pure Heart
Luvbi

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:53 pm   Reply with quote

But enough talk, have at you!

...No seriously, what do you mean, "Close enough"? D:
Overthere Stair    
Current form: Normal
Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 38 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:53 pm   Reply with quote

Is the answer me? Cause I can be rather manly! *flexxes his muscles, but they just manage to look more pathetic* OK, so maybe I'm not the answer...
Shop #42    
augh!
Piccolo the Pixl

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:54 pm   Reply with quote

Is it ? Block?
Piccolo's Goods    
? Block
Fancy Wario

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:54 pm   Reply with quote

It's just "A miserable pile of secrets". Not "A miserable little pile of secrets".

Nitpicking FTW.
Pure Heart
Luvbi

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:55 pm   Reply with quote

sdfsdfkjh Darn you.
Overthere Stair    
I AM A BANANA!!!!
End Boss

HP: 99 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:56 pm   Reply with quote

lol, is that like an inside joke or something?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion