digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

[Demo Review] Super Mario Galaxy
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Super Mario Galaxy
Larry Koopa
Sam

HP: 35 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:00 pm   Reply with quote

As many of you already know, I got to play Super Mario: Galaxy at EBGames on Saturday. Before I start, I want to say that I wanted to play on Wednesday, but the TV was off, and I couldn't turn it on. So on Saturday, I went to the mall and stopped by EBGames. I glanced at the Wii and I saw that it was Mario: Galaxy in the background, so after 2 little kids were finished touching the Wiimotes, I went and unpaused it. Right after I unpaused it, it said that to Connect the Nunchuck. and I was like, "WTF?" so, I grabbed the nunchuck and started pushing it in more, but it didn't work. IT WAS BROKEN. So I got very pissed, and decided to look at other games. then I saw other people get on it, and it didnt work. some Azn dude got on it, and it didnt work. then some gansta got on it and it worked! so I ran up to him and started watching. after he finished playing for like 20 minutes, the Asian dude came back and played for like 30 minutes. he asked if I wanted to play (hell yeah), so I played the rest of the time (3 hours).

Ok, now for the review.
I didnt get to play at the beginning, but as far as I know, Princess Peach gets kidnapped, and you go to the Galaxy to find her. you Find Princess Rosetta (dont know her name) and her star buddies. (you also find some toads).

First off, you go in a building, and a Black star with blue eyes (pure-??? ?). and he tells you to "press A" to grab on this blueish star. and thats where you get to select your maps. or "World".

I didnt get to play the 1st one, but the second one was the Bee's Hive or something.

1st off, the controlls are really easy, but Mario is kind of slow. you move with the nunchuck. jump with A, press "B" to shoot your little star thingys. and you shake your wiimote to attack. You can also walljump, by pressing A simultaneously and you can also do a Ground stomp, by pressing "A" then "Z". Basically Twirl your Wiimote to hit the Goomba's and other enemies, and once you kill them, you get items like these =

you can use these to attack, gain 1 UPS, or feed other Stars.
To attack the enemies with the stars is simple, just point your wiimote at whatever enemy you want, and press B. to collect these Stars, basically walk over them, or point your cursor at them.

In the bee hive mission, you basically have to meet the Queen Bee, and she says shes Very itchy, and has no clue whats going on. so you basically find a Bee Shroom, that turns you into a Bee, and you fly up to the queen bee. you get attached to her, and start to collect these little Triforce like things. and once you collect all 5, you form a Star.

and of course, Like Mario 64, you can do the same mission again, but with different Task.

but it seems that the maximum is up to 3 more missions, and as you can see, the original has about 6 or more, or less. Some even have 1 in Mario Galaxy like this Water Mission.

Basically, you go surfing. the water mission is the shortest mission, only has 1 star to obtain. and takes about 1:00 to beat. You get on this fish, and twist the wiimote right or left, and press "A" to accelerate. the Water looks really realistic, At the bee mission it reminds me of Zelda: Twilight Princess. and on the Water mission, it remains me of Halo's Valhalla map.

Story

The story is about Princess Peach getting kidnapped (AGAIN), and you have to find her. you go to the galaxy, and meet Princess Rossetta (or whatever). and she has issues of her own, and she lost some of her star buddies, so you have to go find them too. I dont know really much on the story, because it was a Demo, and I didnt get to beat it.

Gameplay

The gameplay is really awesome. it doesnt feel like Mario 64 when your playing it. it feels BETTER. but the only thing im afraid of is Length. it doesnt seem that long. Unlike Phantom Hourglass, the controls seem always responsive. just shake your wiimote, and mario will twist around. sometimes it doesnt work on phantom hourglass if you wanta do a Spin Attack.

Many of you wanted to know how it feels to walk in the Galaxy. At first its kind of confussing going up and down, and the camera looks all weird. But its easy to get used to. Some kid got scared behind me because he thought I fell off a ledge, only to find out, I just went underneath it (remember kids, you can FLOAT in space).

Boss's

The bosses are WAY TO EASY in this game. WAY TO EASY. I only fought the Piranha plant, and some guy who spits out flame balls at you. but there to easy. 3 hits and there dead. the Pirhana doesn't really attack you, you just go hit his ball at the end of his tail, and it automatically hits him. 3 hits and hes dead. the flame dude shoots these flame balls at you which are VERY EASY to dodge, and then he spits a coconut at you, and just like Link and Phantom Ganon from Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker etc. you have to hit it back at him. 1st time he gets hit, second time he hits it back at you, and you play tennis intil one opponent gets hit. The only "hit back and get hit" challenge that was ever frusterating to me was Phantom Hourglass. the 3 ghost sisters.

Graphics

Many people say that the graphics are amazing, and yes, they are. very amazing. infact, I got to say that it is better then Metroid Prime 3.

it has that glow effect to it that makes it awesome. and it is Anti aliased.
Im not sure if Metroid was anti aliased.

Soundtrack

I really like the music, but it seems that the same song plays in every mission. however it doesn't feel like Atari, because the song is long. so in Average gamer who beats the mission will probably hear it loop 3 times, and a hardcore probably 1 time. The music is catchy though Very Happy

---
Overall, its a very great game. Can't wait too get it, but Im just hoping I DO get it. because there are so many games coming around the time.

Pros:
1st worthy successor to Mario 64, Graphics are amazing, Gameplay is very fun, and Decent Story

Cons:
the same music plays (at the demo), it seems short, not as much stars you can gain compared to Mario 64

---

Total Ratings:

Graphics: 9.7
Gameplay: 9.8
Story: 8.5
SoundEFX/Music: 9.1

Overall: 9.7
Koop    
Better than yours
Myst

HP: 20 MP: 4 Lives: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:26 pm   Reply with quote

The demo I played didn't have any music. But still, it was very fun.
Myst's Ownage Shop    
Larry Koopa
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:53 pm   Reply with quote

*waits for francis*
Koop    
Larry Koopa
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:44 pm   Reply with quote

i didnt make this to be ignored, dammit.
Koop    
That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

HP: 88 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:04 pm   Reply with quote

it wasn't ignored. it just wasn't commented on. you've got 30 veiws.
pure-???'s shop of spells.    
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:27 pm   Reply with quote

Nice impressions. But, next time I would leave out details of the story and facts of the game. Just focus on what your thoughts of the game were.

And what makes you think that the game is too short?
Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
Larry Koopa
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:29 pm   Reply with quote

Francis wrote:
Nice impressions. But, next time I would leave out details of the story and facts of the game. Just focus on what your thoughts of the game were.

And what makes you think that the game is too short?

the galaxy. it has an interface that shows all galaxies. I feel that I can probably beat it in like 10 hours, or maybe 20 hours if I can beat it 100%
Koop    
Typhoon
Typhoon™
Dead
Dead

HP: 0 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:27 pm   Reply with quote

Altair wrote:
Cons:
not as much stars you can gain compared to Mario 64

O_o 120 Stars. thats the max you could get in Super mario 64.

The DS version just had more rabbits and character crap...
Ornaments    
Oh fuck.
Flar3 Luigi
Vampire

HP: 10 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:50 pm   Reply with quote

YAY! but when kamek hit mario with magic mario didn't sound like himself.
Flar3's antiques of Ph1r3.    
PC Gamer
Alexio
Vampire

HP: 15 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:23 pm   Reply with quote

I feel a bit dissapointed on some of the bosses. Nintendo should take a break on the "3 hits and its dead" thing.
Shop of Alex    
Ohh, THAT makes sense!
Tyler
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 2 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:12 pm   Reply with quote

-There's like 20+ boss fights, you know. Some I've seen are pretty tough. Also, they're usually a lot of fun.

-The same music does NOT play through the levels. Are you sure you weren't just playing a single galaxy?

-There ARE as many stars to gain, actually more. There's 120, and one secret one if you beat the game as Luigi.

-Game's actually longer than Mario 64. 40 galaxies to explore.

There, all your cons disproven.
Tyler's Sexy Shop    
Larry Koopa
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:08 pm   Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
-There's like 20+ boss fights, you know. Some I've seen are pretty tough. Also, they're usually a lot of fun.

-The same music does NOT play through the levels. Are you sure you weren't just playing a single galaxy?

-There ARE as many stars to gain, actually more. There's 120, and one secret one if you beat the game as Luigi.

so, what are you trying to say, huh? its a PERFECT game? pffffft.
Koop    
That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

HP: 88 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:18 pm   Reply with quote

Altair wrote:
Tyler wrote:

so, what are you trying to say, huh? its a PERFECT game? pffffft.

IMO, it's a perfect game until they make the next 3-D mario.
pure-???'s shop of spells.    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:29 am   Reply with quote

Well it still lacks any online content as a lot Nintendo games do, so you could probably knock if for that if nothing else.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Sync
MALAK

HP: 10 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:40 am   Reply with quote

Popple wrote:
Well it still lacks any online content as a lot Nintendo games do, so you could probably knock if for that if nothing else.

A game like this doesn't need Online Play/Content. -.-'

o.o Popple made me post. Damn me and my forum lurking... *Grumble*
Hammerspace    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Super Mario Galaxy