digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Tiers and mains?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Yoshi
Vampire

HP: 60 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:38 pm   Reply with quote

This is a subject seperate from the other one, because it's your oppinion on something having to do with tiers, not unexpectedly shouting "TIERS R 4 QUEERS" on youtube during a legitimate discussion on tiers, and getting up thumbed by ten people.

Nope, this is a discussion. Do you not main someone because they're tier? Do you main someone because they ARE tier? Or do you completely ignore tiers, and play with who you're good with? Or maybe you Love a character, and try to learn their playstyle so you CAN main them without being destroyed every hundret twenty seconds on wi-fi?

Yoshi saw a person on smashboards who mains shiek, saying 'I think shiek should be higher on that' and yoshi thought a second. "Do you WANT your main to be used by every other person on wi-fi?" Yoshi's looking at you toon link. >.>

Yoshi was amazing with Lucas. But he realised... That up smash... that down smash, and so many other things... Would it really be fair?

So yoshi transfered to maining pikachu. Sure, yoshi was good, but when you see a pikachu in a match, what 98% of the time happens? Thunder spam. It's... just a really cheap move, and yoshi wanted to keep himself from spamming it (which he undoubtedly did) By dropping the character.

Then yoshi mained Ness for a long time. It could have worked out, but this is an instance where a character wasn't good enough for yoshi. Honestly, the bat is too zetta slow for yoshi's taste, and other than that,the back air (on some occaisons, up air too) was the only other move that can finish someone off, and honestly, yoshi couldn't hit with those.

Then yoshi tried various characters like DK, luigi, mario, bowser, dedede, and such, but still no results.

Untill yoshi tried using yoshi. Not high on the tier, or 'cheap' at all, and deffinately not overused.

Yoshi got kind of off topic there, but mainly, the point is, do you like your mains being high tier, low tier, just a cool character, or do you just not give a shit?
PSI and more    
cool
Lord Bob
Vampire

HP: 61 MP: 8 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:43 pm   Reply with quote

I don't believe in tiers. They're just for people who are insecure and thing that some characters are better than others automatically. I use characters according to how well I do with them, not because of some silly tiers. I do well with Lucas, and he's my top main. I also do well with Toon Link. Neither of those are very high up, and I still manage to kick ass.
Also, Toon Link's facial expressions are priceless in some moments *coughgayluigicough*
hgssskrflrig
NON BANNER    
That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

HP: 88 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:21 pm   Reply with quote

Lord Bob wrote:
I don't believe in tiers. They're just for people who are insecure and thing that some characters are better than others automatically. I use characters according to how well I do with them, not because of some silly tiers. I do well with Lucas, and he's my top main. I also do well with Toon Link. Neither of those are very high up, and I still manage to kick ass.
Also, Toon Link's facial expressions are priceless in some moments *coughgayluigicough*
hgssskrflrig

Some characters are better than other.s it's inevitable. it's impossible to make a perfectly balanced game. if you take a look around at the COUNTLESS glitches people have found in the game, you'll realize that. There are things besides glitches not intended by the game creators but that are used anyway, and that give certain characters unfair advantages. Look at melee. Look at wave-dashing in particular. Think about it. people will continue finding tricks like these that give some characters advantages. This is why tiers exist.

Also, certain characters are better against certain others. This is also a basis for it. Characters place higher on the tiers list for being better against the most characters, BUT particularly for being great against high-tiered characters.

A good example of this is the current, Japanese melee tier list. the top character? Shiek. The second from the top character? Dr. Mario. Why doctor Mario? Because he's amazing against Sheik.

I could go on, but you see my point.
pure-???'s shop of spells.    
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

HP: 10 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:49 pm   Reply with quote

tires don exits. srsly.

Ok, but really, I don't care at all about tiers. I like Lucas, Toon Link, Meta Knight, R.O.B., Snake, Diddy Kong, Wolf, and a few others best, but I really like everyone. In fact, I use Random, and I win a lot in Wi-Fi (unless I get Ice Climbers or Yoshi, but even then I still win sometimes)
Milton Games    
That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:00 pm   Reply with quote

Pokémoneinstein wrote:
tires don exits. srsly.

Ok, but really, I don't care at all about tiers. I like Lucas, Toon Link, Meta Knight, R.O.B., Snake, Diddy Kong, Wolf, and a few others best, but I really like everyone. In fact, I use Random, and I win a lot in Wi-Fi (unless I get Ice Climbers or Yoshi, but even then I still win sometimes)

ACTUALLY, quite a few of those characters are very high on the list.
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

HP: 10 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:09 pm   Reply with quote

Pure-??? wrote:
Pokémoneinstein wrote:
tires don exits. srsly.

ACTUALLY, quite a few of those characters are very high on the list.
I know, but it's a coincidence. I also Like Sonic, and DK, and Dedede, and Ness, and Zelda, and Sheik. I like a lot of them
Milton Games    
Super ShadowArticuno

HP: 99 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:12 pm   Reply with quote

Pikachu usually stays away from top tier, but I could care less because TR4Q.
A Bucket of Stuff    
That rich guy
Pure-???
Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:25 pm   Reply with quote

ShadowArticuno wrote:
Pikachu usually stays away from top tier, but I could care less because TR4Q.

Pikachu is the top of the tier list for smash N64(Yes there was a tier list for that)
(:
Tayl

HP: 98 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:37 pm   Reply with quote

I usually end up maining the lighter characters...Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Ice Climbers, and Yoshi {in Melee, I used Pichu a lot}. I rarely stray from those five characters...I usually only use them out of boredom, daring, and by picking the "random" selection.

I don't really believe in tiers...I think it just depends on the player, but that's just me

I use Pikachu a lot in Brawl...but I just unlocked Jigglypuff an hour or two ago {I had to do 350 vs. matches, seeing as the game sinks whenever I spend more than five minutes on SSE.}, so I'll be using her more often, as I did in SSB and SSBM.
~The Shop with Stuff~    
Yoshi
Vampire

HP: 60 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:58 pm   Reply with quote

Tayl wrote:
I usually end up maining the lighter characters...Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Ice Climbers, and Yoshi {in Melee, I used Pichu a lot}. I rarely stray from those five characters...I usually only use them out of boredom, daring, and by picking the "random" selection.

I don't really believe in tiers...I think it just depends on the player, but that's just me

I use Pikachu a lot in Brawl...but I just unlocked Jigglypuff an hour or two ago {I had to do 350 vs. matches, seeing as the game sinks whenever I spend more than five minutes on SSE.}, so I'll be using her more often, as I did in SSB and SSBM.
May want to see Nintendo about that.
PSI and more    
Chocolate Kirby
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:52 pm   Reply with quote

I found Yoshi good because I don't spam anything with him *coughKirbycough* and he's awesome. It's not about advantages over others, it's about the player. If the player is smart and can think over these "advantages", then they win.
I would suggest training with a low tier character and see that THEY win.

High Priestess Paula
Count_Bleck

HP: 30 MP: 2 Lives: 9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:17 am   Reply with quote

I use Zero Suit Samus, and Lucas the most, and they're pretty low on the list I think.
Anyways, all the characters are pretty balenced in my opinion.
Lapin Angelique    
The Axolotl Sympathist
Geno
Werewolf

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:14 am   Reply with quote

I main Toon Link because I love using him. He's fast, strong, and most of all, FUN. In Melee, I mained the Ice Climbers, because of the fun factor.

I like to have fun when I play. I could care less where they are on some made-up list. If I'm presented with a character that has an "advantage" over my own, I deal with it and do my best, and usually win... Another reason why I don't believe people should play based on tiers.
Geno's Tree    
I'm back to being a
Hylian_Pixl
Burning

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:40 pm   Reply with quote

I really don't care about tiers. I just play using any character that suits me, like Kirby. Or Zelda. I never even heard of tiers until the internet told me the characters I use suck. Oh well, I'll play with whoever I want, and nobody can stop me!

How deliciously sexual
Emil
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:43 pm   Reply with quote

Damn, I use Lucas because I thought no one else used him... Whatever.

I really don't listen to Tiers at all. Why? I hardly lose to anyone. Top Tier or Bottom Tier. *coughcockybastardcough*

It may sound like bull crap, but it's true... Baby Peach and Tyler were the only people on the internet who have EVER beat me... When I'm not screwing around.

Anyway, yeah. TIERS R 4 QUEERS LOLOL!!
Green Para-Koopa's Shop    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Super Smash Bros. Brawl