digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Mario D20 Free For All Battle (Preparation)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Contests & Tournaments
Current form: Normal
Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 38 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:44 pm   Reply with quote

Here's the thing...

I want to bring the game Mario D20 (the PDF file for which can be found HERE) over to Digibutter.nerr, but I'll probably need to do something big to bring some attention to it. So here's my idea...

I'll GM a single free-for-all battle that uses the rules for it. I'll also have the following prizes given out for it:
GRAND PRIZE: 100 COINS
SECOND PRIZE: 50 COINS
THIRD PRIZE: 25 COINS
CONSOLATION PRIZE: 1 SOLITARY COIN

Now that I got your attention, I should explain a few more things.

The battle will take place on Sunday.

Only the first four people to reply asking to participate will get to take part in this. If one of them doesn't show up on time though, another person can take their spot and character.

I will make the characters to be used in it, but I will do so based on the participants' wishes. The characters will be 10th level, and will start out with a few items.

I will GM the battle, and for those of you who don't know what a GM is, it means that I'll basically act as a referee during the whole thing. It is my coins 176 coins that I'll be giving up afterall.

As the GM, I will ask that I get to reply to each post that's made as part of the battle to confirm the success of any actions that would have a chance of failing. I will determine the success by using an online random number generator that was made for play by post games for RPGs that use dice.

Participation is free!

This is NOT a scam, it's publicity for Mario D20. For some reason, people *coughmerleeandbobthelemoncough* seem to think of me as a scam artist.

I realize that the game Mario D20 requires a player's handbook for D&D 3.5 and I'm sure that at least one of the people who wants to participate will not have access to one. So I've decided to mention a few things.

1. There will be a turn order.
2. Alot of things will have a chance of success or failure. These are handled by die rolls and character stats. Even damage done will use die rolls.
3. A battle grid will be used in the battle. Each square will be considered as a 5' by 5' space. Each character will have it's own movement rate too.
4. What you can do in a round (or turn) is limited. You'll either be able to make a full round action (attacking as much as possible), a standard action (a single attack) and a move action (moving around the grid, reloading a weapon, etc.), or two move actions (moving twice your character's movement rate). There are also free actions that you can do as much as you like durring a round.
5. Those #d# things in the pdf file are basically a representation of a die roll. The first number is how many dice are rolled, and the second indicates which die is used (how many sides the die has). So a 1d6 would be rolling a six-sided die once. A 5d20 would be 5 rolls of a 20-sided die.
6. Some actions will provoke attacks of opportunity. An attack of opportunity is basically when a person gets to make an attack outside of their turn because of an opening in the opponent's defences. Attacks of opportunity can only be made to people next to your character (and a character is usually only able to do one attack of opportunity per round). Things that provoke attacks of opportunity include casting a spell, attacking with a ranged weapon, and moving (except when you withdraw as a fulll-round action, or only move 5 feet{which you can do as a free action as long as it's the only movement your character does that round}).

I think that's all the neccesary basic information for those who don't know a thing about D&D 3.5 edition.

As I mentioned before, I will make characters based upon what you ask for them to be. If I can't manage to make one as a level 10 character in Mario D20, then I'll let you know so that you can try suggesting something else. If you need help thinking of what you want your character for this battle to be, I have a list of suggestions that I know should be possible.
Mario clone
Koopa
Magikoopa
Goomba
Koopa Striker
Boo
Cheep-cheep
Bandit
Beanfolk (perhaps a Popple clone)
Cloudfolk (Mallow clone!)
Penguinfolk
Shy Guy
Yoshi
Bob-omb

The battle itself will take place on a battlegrid that will represent 10,000 square feet of space (400 squares). It will have a few ? Blocks in it that will give items and respawn after some time. It will also have some water for characters that have a swim speed.

If this is recieved well enough, I might be able to start GMing games in the RP forum (won't be any prizes for those ones though, but you will be able to have a character that will get progressively stronger). If it ends up being liked enough, I may be able to convince Francis to make a new forum for Mario D20 games.

Now, who wants to play Mario D20?

OK, so no one does, but who wants to try to win 100 of my hard-earned coins?

EDIT: The four spots have been filled by...
1. ? Block
2. Larry Koopa
3. Sonic the Hedgehog
4. Shadow the Hedge Hog

If one of the turns out to be unavailable on the day of the contest, another person may take their place/character.

another EDIT: I had decided for the contest to take place on Sunday instead of Thursday. I didn't think it would take so long to set everything up. Oh, and the reason why I haven't given a time for it yet, is because it is something that's probably going to take awhile. I'm on here alot, so I might be able to keep from slowing the fight down too much.

Last edited by Marker Magikoopa on Sun May 20, 2007 12:32 am; edited 3 times in total
Shop #42    
? Block
Fancy Wario

HP: 69 MP: 8 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:46 pm   Reply with quote

I'll try this out. I'll play as a Cheep-Cheep, representing one of my RP characters, Paul.
ashdgbdsahvdsajghdasvgsahdvsagsa    
Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:49 pm   Reply with quote

I guess that the half an hour I spent trying to decide whether I should really hit the submit button might turn out to be worth it.
Shop #42    
yoshimitz707
Vampire

HP: 55 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:01 pm   Reply with quote

*Head asplodes from nerrness of this game*
GashBell's Shop    
Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:03 pm   Reply with quote

GashBell wrote:
*Head asplodes from nerrness of this game*

So is that a wish to participate or a comment that this game is for people much nerrier than you?
Shop #42    
Larry Koopa
Sam

HP: 35 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:12 pm   Reply with quote

IM IN!!! IM IN!! GET ME IN NOW!!!!
Koop    
Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:13 pm   Reply with quote

So that's two people that have stated a desire to be in, and one who's head asploded.
Shop #42    
Sonic the Hedgehog
Vampire

HP: 5 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:15 pm   Reply with quote

lul does the character HAVE to be a mario character?

If I can, i want to use Sonic the Hedgehog for a character

HOLD ON, ILL USE PENGUIN FOLK IN SONIC AINT USEABLE : D

Last edited by Sonic the Hedgehog on Mon May 14, 2007 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pipe Land    
Larry Koopa
Sam

HP: 35 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:15 pm   Reply with quote

Hey 1 question.. thats alot of reading, but can you tell me in 1, 2, 3 what to do?
Koop    
Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:23 pm   Reply with quote

Sonic the Hedgehog wrote:
lul does the character HAVE to be a mario character?

If I can, i want to use Sonic the Hedgehog for a character

HOLD ON, ILL USE PENGUIN FOLK IN SONIC AINT USEABLE : D

How about a penguinfolk with super speed?
Shop #42    
Soul Reaper
Yamada Hanataro
Jailed Vampire Werewolf
Jailed

HP: 31 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:24 pm   Reply with quote

Shadow The Hedgehog or Gigabowser
Alchemy slam.    
Elite Nerr
Francis

HP: 50 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:33 pm   Reply with quote

wow, thats alot of info. Umm, could you maybe run through an example of what a few rounds of battle might look like?
Francis' Fort Garage Sale    
Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:34 pm   Reply with quote

Larry Koopa wrote:
Hey 1 question.. thats alot of reading, but can you tell me in 1, 2, 3 what to do?

You mean for registering for this contest?

1. reply to the topic and ask to join. (already done)
2. give a description of a character you want to use. If you are not very creative, I have listed a few things that would be possible. The list isn't limited to them though. It is more than possible for me to make a hammer bro. character by taking a koopa and giving it some skill in throwing mallets at people.
3. wait for me to make the character and for Thursday to get here.

As for what to do durring the actual contest...

1. decide turn order.
2. Wait for it to be your turn.
3. When it's your turn, simply post what you'll do
4. Wait for me to post, and decide whether the actions described would be possible according to the Mario D20 rules, and if so, I will decide whether any of the actions requires a die roll, which I will use a special website for. I will announce the results of the action, and then it'll be the next person's turn.
5. repeat steps 2-4 untill three characters are reduced to 0 HP.

Oh, and I guess i should mention that in the event of a tie, the prizes for both places tied for will be split between those that earned it. So if two people tie for first, the two first place winners would each get 75 coins.
Shop #42    

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:34 pm   Reply with quote

Hmm, That 100 coin prize sure is tempting

Magikoopa.

Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:37 pm   Reply with quote

Francis wrote:
wow, thats alot of info. Umm, could you maybe run through an example of what a few rounds of battle might look like?

OK, I'll just need some time to come up with a good example.
Shop #42    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Contests & Tournaments