Framework 16 Came In! (Franis Gib Geek Gear Board)

I recently came to need a modern laptop, so I ordered a Framework 16, and I love it. It could very well be the last laptop I’ll ever need. Every last part inside of it is designed to be able to be replaced, including the motherboard. It’s nice to be able to support a new company bringing serious innovation to the rather stagnant laptop market and helping to combat e-waste. It’s really convenient being able to decide on the fly whether or not I want a gpu or a numpad. Plus, the led matrices are just straight up :awesome:sauce.

P.S. Franis gib Geek Gear board

5 Likes

sick ass laptop

francis give us geek gear

2 Likes

Schweet! How’s the trackpad? That’s one of the main reasons I keep using a MacBook Pro

3 Likes

I think it’s quite good. It’s a bit smaller (~1 sq in) than a MacBook Pro’s, and from what I’ve read online, that seems to be something you either like or dislike. I personally like that because it means more space for my wrists. That said, I’m currently going through TrackPoint withdrawals, so take my words with a grain of salt :wink:

Fun Fact: The company who designed Framework’s trackpad’s touch controller, PixArt, is the same company who designed the IR sensor for the Wii Remote.

2 Likes

Y’all don’t use a mouse?
Tree has shame.

The other thing would be overheating. I got what I thought was a highly specced Dell but it still can’t hardly run any games because it overheats (it wasn’t marketed as a gaming laptop, but still, it sounds like its going to explode even when doing basically nothing)

1 Like

That sounds rough, but I can believe it coming from Dell. In terms of strictly cooling, it can handle games fine. The dGPU module has a dedicated heat pipe separate from the CPU’s, and the ventilation is good, so I haven’t experienced or heard of any thermal throttling. As far as noise and temps, the fans are completely silent without the dGPU installed. With it installed and under load, the fans make some noise, but it’s not too bad. The underside of the laptop gets toasty though, so heavy gaming is best kept at a desk.

1 Like

At a desk: yes
On the go: no

This being a laptop, a lot of my time using it is not at a desk.

1 Like

Completely forgot laptops aren’t just meant for small spaces. Tree has never had(or truly seen) a true PC.

oh hype!! recently i was wondering about what’d id pick for a laptop when im ready to get one and i really like the design concept for replacing the parts!! will try to keep this in mind for a few years lol

2 Likes