The revival of Mario RPG's, what's next for the spinoffs?

Hi Digibutter! First post on here in a lot time, I had another account years ago that I can’t remember the name of, but i’m back!

I wanted to talk about the recent revival of Mario RPG’s in the last 2 years starting with Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope all the way to the upcoming Mario & Luigi Brothership!

It’s great seeing Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi and Mario + Rabbids all having great new entries and remakes with original characters, locations, and new ideas!

It was weird as a kid going from the grand fantastical stories of stuff like Super Paper Mario and Bowser’s Inside Story, to the fairly bland NSMB-like stories and worlds of Sticker Star, Paper Jam, and practically every other Mario spinoff from 2012-2016. Starting with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, things have gotten better and better!

Who else is excited for Mario & Luigi Brothership? Would you like to see games like Partners in Time and Super Paper Mario get their very own remakes too? Let me know your thoughts!

5 Likes

Welcome back Tyler! Nice to meet you, I’m Chaos_Kat. I’m excited for Brothership too. The last M&L game I played was Dream Team, and while I loved the concept, I was definitely feeling some series fatigue around then. I’m sure Paper Jam had some great stuff, but Brothership’s really revived my intrigue in a special way. I love the art direction they’re going with it.

I’d love to see M&L: PiT and SPM both get revisited! As much as it pains me to say it, I see PiT as the likelier candidate. SPM is the perfect time capsule of the era it released in, and maybe it has to stay that way (but I don’t care. I want a remake anyway). I demand to see HD O’Chunks fartblasting to the heavens.

3 Likes