What do we think of the “post-2020” Mario era?

Since Mario’s 40th anniversary is coming up in 2025, I thought i’d ask you all what your thoughts are on the recent set of Mario games released since the pandemic came to a close.

I had the chance to visit Super Nintendo World in Hollywood, which was a truly magical experience to share together with my family, the Super Mario Bros. Movie was a delight to see on release day with my friends, and the remakes of Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door were dreams come true for long time fans like myself!

A sequel to WarioWare Smooth Moves? A brand new 2D Mario with a wacky imaginative spirit? A Tactics RPG starring Mario and Rayman where you have to save Rosalina? If you can think of it, its probably happened recently! (Except for Mario Galaxy 3 I guess lol)

But that’s just my take, what are your thoughts on Mario’s recent adventures? What do you think is gonna happen for the 40th anniversary celebrations in 2025? Let me know down below!

3 Likes

It’s all great but also felt like filler. The most substantial was SMB Wonder but even it was too short and easy. Many new people are now aware of the world of Mario thanks to other entertainment avenues but there is little connection to current gaming (most of it referencing the past). We’re due for a big Mario game, like we haven’t seen since Odyssey, that really pushes Mario forward. 40th Anniversary on a shiny New Super Swiitch 2 sounds like perfect timing. If not, I’d hate to see Mario retire to be just another Mickey Mouse. (no offense, schweet profile pic BTW)

5 Likes

Yeah, I think my favorite parts of these past few years for Mario have been the external experiences OUTSIDE of the games, because most of the games recently have been remakes, which again is something Mario has needed more of, especially giving characters like Geno and Vivian a new spotlight with the respective RPG remakes, and reviving the arcade Donkey Kong format with the Mario Vs. DK remake back in February.

That’s not to say there’s been a lack of original games, like, two brand new WarioWare games, Princess Peach getting her own game for the first time in 18 years, Sparks of Hope being a genuinely great new tactics-based Mario RPG themed to Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers coming back after a 15-year hiatus, and of course Super Mario Bros. Wonder proving that 2D Mario still has a bit of pep in its step!

Super Nintendo World was easily my favorite experience, just because it’s always been a dream to be able to run around and explore the Mushroom Kingdom, true to scale, and Super Nintendo World let’s me, my friends, and my family experience it together! All the fun Mario Party-style challenges, the Mario Kart: Bowser’s Challenge ride, secret rooms and tunnels, plus all the interactable enemies, blocks, and other objects really makes you feel like your exploring a massive Mushroom Kingdom.

As much as I love the video games, the theme park lets EVERYONE enjoy it together without needing to understand game controllers, mechanics, and other things. If you want to hit a Question Block in Nintendo World, you can just hit it with your fist!

3 Likes

YOUVE BEEN TO SUPER NINTENDO WORLD?! Man, i have been waiting since 2017 when the rumours started about getting Mario at Universal Studios Orlando and i still got a year to wait til thats open and i can visit. I am hella jealous cuz Florida were meant to get it first but plans kept changing and then covid delayed it and then they decided to put it in the whole new park they’re building. Im very hyped

3 Likes

Peak, icl. Most of these games are solid. Particularly loving the RPG revival (& Bowser’s Fury!)

2 Likes

Yeah! it’s incredible! The theming and level of immersion in the park is incredible, with awesome remixes from nearly every mainline game, plus you get to meet Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Princess Peach in person too!

The Hollywood version is apparently way smaller than the one in Japan, but it still features 5 power-up band physical challenges, which are basically Mario Party challenges you can play either solo or with friends, and when you complete at least three of them, you unlock an actual boss fight against Bowser Junior! There’s also replicas of the green binoculars from Super Mario 3D Land, letting you see the Mushroom Kingdom with augmented reality elements. (including a fun hello from Rosalina!) Best of all there’s the Toadstool Cafe restaurant, with dozens of uniquely themed Mario dishes, all inside of a massive Toad House. (Bowser even attacks the restaurant at points with his airships, it’s something you need to see in-person to really be immersed in it!)

But besides all the parks cool features, there’s the main attraction, Mario Kart: Bowser’s Challenge. The ride takes you through a life size replica of Bowser’s Keep, with his library, weapons factory, heck even his planning quarters! The you head down to the Mario Kart TV recording studio to hop in your Kart and start your race against Bowser and the Koopalings!

The ride itself is also HIGH TECHNICAL, literally and figuratively, amazing replicas of tracks from Mario Kart 8, brand new orchestral and synth remixes of classic Mario songs, and a great mix of item play with Koopa Shells and Stars, racing against both IRL karts and AR versions of Mario’s friends, along with a traditional theme park dark-ride experience with detailed sets and crazy special effects!

Overall, it’s just a wonderful experience for any fan of Mario! Here’s a photo I took of Mount Beanpole at Night, which is basically the park’s “icon” of sorts.

3 Likes

Sounds amazing. I mean, i knew a fair amount of this stuff prior to opening, but ive avoided watching any POV videos of the MK ride thus far. I am excited.

Florida is getting the Donkey Kong coaster too (it jumps track!)

3 Likes