digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Rant: Gamer Comics

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> digiblogger
Poison
Super Postman
Jailed Vampire
Jailed

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:28 pm   Reply with quote

-puts up flamesheild-

alrighty I feel like ranting a little. May I remind you this is pure opinion, I respect the rights to an opinion Even if its completely negative and contrary to mine.

Lets Start out the gate with a fact: I don't like "gamer" comics

Now that, its said I can get to my main rant, Well yeah I like a little game humor now and again, But why do I consider these comics Subpar, poor to on a good day, Mediocre. It comes down to lots of little problems, and A few big problems I have that need to be addressed.

Overpopulation: its an overflooded market, everyone has their Geek Lifestyle self inserting ego trip of a comic. As much as I respect it as a medium of getting an opinion across, It just seems like the same opinion, And Jokes for that matter over and over again. some even borrowing from such "harsh critics" like AVGN " Oh its funny to swear at a children's game and point out obvious flaws because it makes my e-penis bigger" Mind you in small doses, this can actually make me laugh, But due to the sheer number of Gamer Comics out their Its just spiritually draining.

Fan-base:
nasty little buggers eh? I find fanatics in any way shape or form annoying. Thumping the bible or the most recent "VG Cats", its the same old song in dance, under a diffrent banner of course. and you know that if a High end comic like Penny Arcade Ordered a boycott on a game, provided it was in their target audience ( low and behold the "gamer" audience) Their would be a Significant response, Enough to dent sales, I mean not enough to end a company but enough to leave a mark. Though the thought of it is nice the consumers controlling the company's, its tyranny of the majority. And the majority's opinion is shaped by the few.

Gaming Culture Today: this is more of a supplemental to my comic argument, I don't like where gaming culture is, or where its going. As I said above Shaped by the few, these Comics Define as as a culture. no longer shackled by the morsels of information given out by gaming mags. the Internet has freed us from constraint only for us to be constrained by our peers. But this is a separate rant.

Money:I love to point out is how these types of things start grass roots,a rebellion against the "norm". then always turn corporate, becoming what they were ment to escape. I salute making a living off something you love to do, but it ultimately devolves into "your average gamer" who is no longer average. money Transforms, And best part about it is that the comics who actually pull a profit (to be fair some comics don't see any profit) seldom nod to it. try to act like they are still the same 25 year old who never got laid they were when they started the comic.(This is called being factitious, Look it up =>)

heres some minor things that don't really matter

Length:
"TL;DR" sums this up nicely. Sometimes there is so much text their is barely any art =/ (and yes I know I just dug my own grave)

Personal Beef: I like my opinion better =P, being a self proclaimed critic I think my opinion is better than everyone else's, I guess that is a common point I have with Gamer Comics, at least.

In Closing Id like to remind you this is all my opinion, and your welcome to dislike or like as you see fit. And Id like to hear your take on these things too.
Poison's Boutique    
The Troll has Arrived
Super Nate Pyrokai

HP: 65 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:58 pm   Reply with quote

My gamer comics are better than everyone elses!

Well--Then again I supposed I'd have to do a Gamer Comic in order for that to be an even semi-right remark.

I think it's extremely unartistic to be a "Gamer Comic Artist," mostly because you don't really have to put any effort into creating characters or scenarios since it's all right there.

I suppose a certain amount of creativity is kind of required, but not nearly as much as should be the standard.

I agree with your points Noi--O Chu--Poison *a-hem* =D Gamin' just ain't what it used to be.
Nate's Knick-Knacks    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:44 am   Reply with quote

FREEZE CRACKER . COM

#1 PWNER OF EXEHQ
Popple's Secret Hideout    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> digiblogger