digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Wiispeak: Implications for the future of Nintendo games

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming
Medikoopa
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 1 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:38 am   Reply with quote

This is just my two cents, but pause and think about what this 'new' piece of technology could do, especially if used in cojunction with word-specific patterns (as seen with Hey You Pikachu, as an example) in possible new releases for the Nintendo Wii.

It could give a closer bond between the player and the game. Imagine, for example, you're playing an RPG that suggests that you're the main character. You could say what you want your character to do (boring) or you could 'talk' to the NPCs and the like. Your tone of voice, any use of profanity or polite manners, as well as (obviously) the words themselves could effect their reactions.

Example 1.A: Shopkeeper: "Hello. Welcome to my humble store. Is there anything you'd like?"
"I'd like to buy something, *****."
"WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME?! GET OUT OF MY STORE!"
"Whatever, *****."
"OUT!"
[You get thrown out of the store.]

1.B: Cleric: "Greetings and well met, traveller. Have you come hither for healing?"
"Please, milady."
"Before I cast the spell, I am required to inform you that this service, though I would readily so do it, is not free. It costs 10 gold coins for a single healing."
"All is well, lady cleric."
[You get healed, but...]
"I'm sorry, kind sir, but I must insist. You are... you are the first customer who has spoken ever so kindly..."
[You ended up paying only 5 gold coins.]

1.C: Enemy Soldier: "Feh. No use fighting against this one..."
"COWARD! BRING IT ON!"
"EH?! Do you have a deathwish?!"
"JUST SHUT UP AND FIGHT ME!"
[You get impaled through the head with a pike. Idiot.]

It could also allow, obviously, communication on the Wii.

2.A: [Mario Kart Wii]
"Yes! YES! I'm gonna win!"
"More like, you're gonna fall off the cliff..."
"Eh?!" [Kart knocks into a goomba and falls off a cliff.] "NOOOOOOOOO!"
"Heh... Eyes on the road there, bub."

2.B: [Pokemon whatever]
"Hmm... No, he might have a Fire type... I'll go with... Blastoise!"
*other player hears him muse out loud, so he selects Bellossum*
"Aw hell..."

2.C: [Super Smash Bros. Brawl]
"Hey. Wanna do a Zelda fight?" "Sure!" "I'm game!" "LET'S DO THIS!"
*all players enter the fight as Zelda*
o_o "Guys... I meant Legend of Zelda."
other three: "oops..."
Random guy: "I CAN SEE UP EVERYONE'S SKIRTS!"
Not random people: o_O;
Dark Land Supply Store    
I see what you are doing.
Lord Vaati

HP: 99 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:39 am   Reply with quote

LOL on 2.C.

And Medi that is a grand idea and would allow many voice related things.
Dark World Shop of Magic    
Kamek Koopa
Aran Ryan
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 2 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:52 am   Reply with quote

The plus side: You get to communicate with whoever has it and you talk about whatever and... yeah you get the picture.

The negative side: Trust me, you will expect crap like people screaming into the mic, playing crappy music through the mic (causing an annoying static), others being disruptive and perverted...

Let's just say that if it does not go too well, it may end up like the retards on Xbox LIVE.

Still, I support this idea. At least it will be a much faster way to communicate rather than typing out messages with a Wii-mote.
Ammu-Nation!    
TooManyToasters
Paper_Waluigi

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:58 am   Reply with quote

Kamek Koopa wrote:
The negative side: Trust me, you will expect crap like people screaming into the mic, playing crappy music through the mic (causing an annoying static), others being disruptive and perverted...

It all depends on the game's community. That's one of the reasons I traded in Halo 3, and I almost never get anything like that in TF2. It's worth it anyway.
asdf    
YoshiAngemon
Sammer Guy Pizza Cat

HP: 100 MP: 8 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:28 pm   Reply with quote

Only thing they could do is a swear filter, that automatically bleeps any swear word that is spoken.

TooManyToasters
Paper_Waluigi

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:35 pm   Reply with quote

Monitor's in Flamey wrote:
Only thing they could do is a swear filter, that automatically bleeps any swear word that is spoken.

That wouldn't work, because it wouldn't be able to tell it's a swear word until you've already said it.
asdf    
Super ShadowArticuno

HP: 99 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:48 pm   Reply with quote

You're forgetting that Nintendo will think of this and make voice chat Friend Code only, Cody.
A Bucket of Stuff    
lolz
Shrowser

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:21 pm   Reply with quote

All I'm saying is "This better be good." In the E3 preview, the reception was perfectly clear and they say it can hear a whole room of people. Let's all hope this isn't a lie, like Brawl's WiFi...
Shrowser's Shop    
ERECTIN' A DICK
Miku Hatsune
Vampire

HP: 5 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:22 pm   Reply with quote

Shrowser wrote:
All I'm saying is "This better be good." In the E3 preview, the reception was perfectly clear and they say it can hear a whole room of people. Let's all hope this isn't a lie, like Brawl's WiFi...
True.
Anime and Image Shop    
oar
Super Maiq the Liar

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:23 pm   Reply with quote

Shrowser wrote:

If it can hear the people in the room, what will keep it from picking up the sound coming from the TV? It'll be annoying listening to the "You got a fish" tune every time somebody gets one, 'specially if all four are fishing.
Tamriellic Titles    
Mandew
Manjew

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:27 pm   Reply with quote

Maiq the Liar wrote:
Shrowser wrote:

If it can hear the people in the room, what will keep it from picking up the sound coming from the TV? It'll be annoying listening to the "You got a fish" tune every time somebody gets one, 'specially if all four are fishing.
Just put it in front of your TV. If the speakers are behind it, the sound is less likely to reach the mic.
Wario Land Shop!    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming