digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Nintendo "needs" new ideas.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews
darkzero
Rusty Shackleford
Vampire

HP: 1 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:09 am   Reply with quote

Quote:
Nintendo "Needs" New Ideas, Says Iwata
In Pink Floyd's The Wall, the main character, rightfully named "Pink", goes through a lot of very "interesting" phases in his life. These steps, during the first half of the movie/music album, set up a kind of "wall" in his life that, as great as it seemed as first, could nearly cripple him. Near the end, though, he tries to "destroy" this "wall" by doing a lot of, um, "psychedelic" things, where he ends up right where he belongs. Where is that place? I'd hate to spoil it for you guys, but lets just say that it's a sort of "farm" with a comedic effect.

Now, this may sound like a strange analogy, but sans the sex and drugs, Nintendo must feel a lot like Pink. For the past three years, they've been trying to put up this "casual" wall, which would, ironically, keep hardcore gamers out while keeping casuals in. But according to an interview in PLAY magazine, Iwata thinks that, after Wii Music, they're going to start "tearing the wall down".

Quote:
"Wii Music completes what Miyamoto wrote in his proposal when he came up with the idea for the Wii,"

So, in other words, when Shiguru Miyamoto was suggesting the Wii remote as the primary input device, he suggested a ton of "casual" titles for it, along with the Mario Galaxy.

Quote:
"He was saying that he needs to think up more ideas now."

Now, I don't wanna sound like I'm on drugs myself here, but if I were to read between the lines here, it'd seem like he's trying to say that "this is all the casual audience wants". I mean, most of them only buy a few games, right? Can it really mean the beginning of a "hardcore era" once more, or does it simply mean that Nintendo has to think up several more causal games in the next few minutes? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

In other news, Iwata talked about the glut of peripherals flooding the market for the Wii (Balance Board, Motion Plus, ect.). Here's what he had to say on the issue:

Quote:
"We might think up some more, and we might make them if we do, but we don't have any plans to release a whole lot more."

Now, we ALL know what that means. Nintendo is DONE with peripherals, right? Well, they're done MAKING them, but the next logical step is to make more games FEATURING them. More on that as it comes.
darkzero's Bargain shop    
YoshiAngemon
Sammer Guy Pizza Cat

HP: 100 MP: 8 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:30 am   Reply with quote

Hey! If you don't like casual gaming, then sell your Wii, and buy an XBox 360, and while your at it, gain a bunch of weight, so you'll look like...

... THIS guy, Coop!

lolz
Shrowser

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:35 am   Reply with quote

Monitor's in Flamey wrote:
Hey! If you don't like casual gaming, then sell your Wii, and buy an XBox 360, and while your at it, gain a bunch of weight, so you'll look like...

... THIS guy, Coop!
Yeah Nintendo's failing bad right now... And all of the games that they say are "casual" are boring as hell. I literally played WiiSports for a week, then never played it again. I played Mario Galaxy for a month. Never again. I played Brawl for two months. Never again did I play it. What I'm getting at here, is, Nintendo needs fun, innovative titles that are moderately lengthy with good online. They don't need this so-called "casual" shit anymore. The Nintendo I know is beyond that.
Shrowser's Shop    
Soviet-Mudkipz Leader
Super Amigo

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:12 pm   Reply with quote

~Wario~ wrote:

... THIS guy, Coop!
Yeah Nintendo's failing bad right now... And all of the games that they say are "casual" are boring as hell. I literally played WiiSports for a week, then never played it again. I played Mario Galaxy for a month. Never again. I played Brawl for two months. Never again did I play it. What I'm getting at here, is, Nintendo needs fun, innovative titles that are moderately lengthy with good online. They don't need this so-called "casual" shit anymore. The Nintendo I know is beyond that.

The wii sports you are right, but mario galaxy I still play that game like hell.
Werehogs Moonlight shop    
Psst...
Die4Less
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 0 Lives: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:17 pm   Reply with quote

~Wario-Kun~ wrote:

... THIS guy, Coop!

You got bored of SSB... O_o

WHAT THE *CRAG*! How!?
Die4Less Corp.    
My soul hurts.
Victor

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:18 am   Reply with quote

I detest Wii Sports, all except tennis which I don't mind.

Everytime one of my Wii-less friends visits, we always end up playing Wii Sports. So I try to tempt them into Mario Kart, but the controls were too tricky.
And nobody wants to play any other game, like Mario Party.

Annoys me to no end.

Super ShadowArticuno

HP: 99 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:39 am   Reply with quote

I'd rather be Coop than play Wii Music. At least he gets to drive a robot car instead of play that casual crap.
A Bucket of Stuff    
Tails Doll

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:21 am   Reply with quote

If you're bringing characters from other shows into this, I'd be Ma-Ti. He doesn't just have the power of heart...He has the ring that controls them all. He is the Lord of the Rings.

I'd rather be Ma-Ti than play Galaxy again. Or Brawl. Those games aren't fun anymore.
Hell    
YoshiAngemon
Sammer Guy Pizza Cat

HP: 100 MP: 8 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:26 am   Reply with quote

No, I was just referring to Coop, who is a gamer, and a lifelong one at that.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming News & Reviews