digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

I'm considering buying Half Life 2...
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming
I don't have a title.
Gold Prognosticus

HP: 100 MP: 1 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:23 am   Reply with quote

I downloaded the new demo of the game, and enjoyed it. It's definitely worth the price.

There's just one snag. I'm hardly the bravest person ever. Stuff creeps me out real easy*. As I played through the Ravenholm level, I wondered exacly how much of the game consisted of killer zombies.

Should I still get the game, or should I leave it and find something else?

*I can get through stuff if I persist however, but it takes me some time.
Gold Prognosticus' Golden Shop    
hai
Spiny

HP: 100 MP: 6 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:36 am   Reply with quote

If anything, the only scare the Zombies deliver is if they sneak up behind you.
The Headcrabs are abit more frightening, considering they come out of frackin nowhere half the time.

Anyway...
There's a Zombie torso hidden behind a box in a crawlspace somewhere near the part where you get the SMG.
Ravenholm and a small section afterwords, but you knew that.
There are afew scattered about the third quarter of the game.
After that, it's just Headcrabs, Antlions(Which become allies later on) and Combine.

My advice is 1:to burn/shoot every Headcrab Zombie corpse that still has it's headcrab, and is propped up against a wall before you stray too close.

2:Circlestrafe+shoot Poison Zombies.

3:Shoot Fast Zombies that climb up water ducts while they're climbing up to avoid having to struggle with it too early.

4:Aim for the head, as Grigori says.
Gemstone Goods    
Nintendo Zealot
Warlord_Mike

HP: 99 MP: 7 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:00 am   Reply with quote

If you can see them coming, Berserk Zombies (what I call the Fast Zombies) aren't all that scary. Otherwise, you can come close to wetting your pants, especially with that leaping scream they do.

Plague/Poison Zombies, however, have a tendency to suddenly appear around corners, making you retreat in horror. Toss an explosive or something fiery their way, and your problem's solved. Shotgun doesn't tend to work that well, because they've got 3 Poison Headcrabs on them; more often than not, they survive the execution of the Zombie.

While I'm on the subject of Poison Headcrabs, if you do get bitten, once you kill them, do NOT pick up any medkits. Your health will slowly replenish itself back to its original state.

Also, if you do roast ANYONE, I typically say "I'm having a barbecue! Care to join me?" Laughing

Lastly, at Nova Prospekt, when you can use Turrets, ALWAYS carry at least one from each destination. If you have the patience to carry all that you encounter, though, you'll have EIGHT turrets to help you in the last area, but it isn't necessary.

That should about cover it without revealing a bit too much (unless you've already played the whole thing Razz).

Elzilcho
ohclizlE
Burning Vampire

HP: 94 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:23 am   Reply with quote

Ravenholm is the only overly-scary bit in the game (that I've played up to), so don't base your thoughts on that.
I wouldn't call it too scary myself, but I think the makers had the idea of shock/horror in mind.
Z.I.L.C.H.    
lolz
Shrowser

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:08 pm   Reply with quote

I, too, am not the bravest person, and I was wondering the same thing, I played the demo as well and I thought Ravenholm was funny. When you kill zombies, the noise they make is hilarious.
Shrowser's Shop    
hai
Spiny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:22 pm   Reply with quote

~Wario~ wrote:
I, too, am not the bravest person, and I was wondering the same thing, I played the demo as well and I thought Ravenholm was funny. When you kill zombies, the noise they make is hilarious.

Normal and fast:*Gurgle*

Poison:*Stock cow noise*
Gemstone Goods    
I don't have a title.
Gold Prognosticus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:43 pm   Reply with quote

Oh god... on the Route Kanal level, I found an area with some health/ammo, only to have a zombie torso burst out from behind a box and scare the hell outta me...
Supreme Nerr
Mikauro.

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:21 pm   Reply with quote

HL 2 isn't very scary. Go get it. Noa.

I don't have a title.
Gold Prognosticus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:56 pm   Reply with quote

Mikauro. wrote:
HL 2 isn't very scary. Go get it. Noa.
Got it last night. It's mostly just UNEXPETED ZOMBIE that makes me jump.
TooManyToasters
Paper_Waluigi

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:45 pm   Reply with quote

~Wario-Kun~ wrote:
awesome
YABBA MY IIIICCCCIIIIIINNNNGGGGG
Get it. Trust me. You should consider getting The Orange Box for episodes 1+2 as well. It starts off slow, but it's like nothing else I've ever experienced.
asdf    
Massive Face
Maximillion Face

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:08 pm   Reply with quote

TooManyToasters wrote:
awesome
YABBA MY IIIICCCCIIIIIINNNNGGGGG
Get it. Trust me. You should consider getting The Orange Box for episodes 1+2 as well. It starts off slow, but it's like nothing else I've ever experienced.
My icing indeed.

Also Portal

hai
Spiny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:22 pm   Reply with quote

Gold Prognosticus wrote:
Oh god... on the Route Kanal level, I found an area with some health/ammo, only to have a zombie torso burst out from behind a box and scare the hell outta me...

THAT'S the one I was talking about.
Gemstone Goods    
Elzilcho
ohclizlE
Burning Vampire

HP: 94 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:33 am   Reply with quote

Spiny wrote:
Gold Prognosticus wrote:

THAT'S the one I was talking about.
Oh, I remember that one >.<
It made throw a grenade I had just got and kill myself =P
I had no idea where the explosion came from either.
Z.I.L.C.H.    
There's only one
Chin Fish
Vampire

HP: 71 MP: 6 Lives: 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:22 am   Reply with quote

Zombies are more funny than scary. The only way they can scare you is by suddenly coming out of nowhere and screaming.
Boo's Mansion    
Shadow Kingdom
Spell Seal
Burning

HP: 80 MP: 0 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:30 am   Reply with quote

I dont like the poison zombies. They throw poison headcrabs at you and the poison headcrabs poison you and you shoot them and they run away and you waste all your ammo on the damn things.
DISGUISE KIT    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Gaming