digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

DS Wifi thingie?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Hi-Technical Support
Jolene
Legendary Mashine

HP: 10 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:41 am   Reply with quote

This is a STUPID question, but how does it work? Does it work the same as wireless laptop internet?

So if I want to trade with my friend, can the DS's 'sense' each other if we're sitting on the same couch? Or do we have to go to a place with wi-fi internet, like, say, the coffee shop?

Same thing with connecting my DS to the Wii. Does that work from me sitting in front of the Wii?

I'm assuming that if you know someone's friend code and they're far away, you have to go to a coffee shop or something for the wifi. o_o;

Answers plx. (just got a DS, and cannot afford any sort of wireless internet at home.)
Glitz Pit Souvenir Shop    
Current form: Normal
Marker Magikoopa
Vampire

HP: 38 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:26 am   Reply with quote

OK, the DS only requires a wireless router/hotspot for connecting to the internet which is how it reaches those people that are very far away. Everything else doesn't. You can have a pair of DSes communicate directly with no middle man and the same can be said of a DS and a Wii.
Shop #42    
Poyo!
Kirby

HP: 99 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:44 am   Reply with quote

Basically, you can communicate from DS to DS or DS to Wii by just being close to the other system.
To play online, however, you will need a router/Wi-Fi USB adapter and high-speed internets. Very Happy
Kirby-Mart    
Jolene
Legendary Mashine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:43 pm   Reply with quote

kirbyfreak94 wrote:
Basically, you can communicate from DS to DS or DS to Wii by just being close to the other system.
To play online, however, you will need a router/Wi-Fi USB adapter and high-speed internets. Very Happy

So basically to play online I need to buy more stuff? Or if I go to a place that has free wi-fi, will my DS be able to use it as-is?
Glitz Pit Souvenir Shop    
Flavio Twitch Boobs
Super Hario

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:53 pm   Reply with quote

Jolene wrote:
kirbyfreak94 wrote:

So basically to play online I need to buy more stuff? Or if I go to a place that has free wi-fi, will my DS be able to use it as-is?

If you have wireless internet at your house, you don't need to buy anything. If you don't have wireless internet, you need to buy a Nintendo Wi-Fi adapter to use WiFi at your house. So unless you can't do either of those, then you need to go to a place with free WiFi.
The Little Shop of Hario    
Poyo!
Kirby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:53 pm   Reply with quote

...but if you were near someone with a DS you can play wireless multiplayer: you don't need WFC for that.
Kirby-Mart    
Searching For Tippi
mikeytrend

HP: 95 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:01 pm   Reply with quote

Jolene wrote:
So if I want to trade with my friend, can the DS's 'sense' each other if we're sitting on the same couch? Or do we have to go to a place with wi-fi internet, like, say, the coffee shop?

Same thing with connecting my DS to the Wii. Does that work from me sitting in front of the Wii?

Correct. When you're within like 15ft of each other you will not need anything special to play together but your DS's

Jolene wrote:
I'm assuming that if you know someone's friend code and they're far away, you have to go to a coffee shop or something for the wifi. o_o;

Correct. When you and a friend are far apart say friends you meet on the fourms or your friends are at home you will need High Speed Internet+Wifi, or the Nintendo dongle, or like you mentioned a starbucks or somewhere that has accessible wifi you can use, but remember the ds doesn't naturally have an internet browser like computers do, so places that require you to enter a password online will not work.
(Just warning you in case you live far away from a place with wifi)
ps. neighbors make great wifi buddies, maybe if someone around you has it you could ask to use it if you pay them like $5.
Tippington's    
Poyo!
Kirby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:21 pm   Reply with quote

I think you can be about 60 ft away from each other.
Kirby-Mart    
Searching For Tippi
mikeytrend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:24 pm   Reply with quote

kirbyfreak94 wrote:
I think you can be about 60 ft away from each other.

I think nintendo said 20, but either way that's only 20 ft if you're in the middle of nowhere with no trees or walls or anything to weaken the signal.

In a normal house I'd say you get 10-15 ft.
Tippington's    
Jolene
Legendary Mashine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:10 pm   Reply with quote

What I was asking was does the DS need anything to "get" the wifi. i.e. If I'm in a place where wifi is available around me, do I need something on the DS so that the wifi goes into it. o_o;

Guess not. So I don't need anything if I want to go down to the Starbucks and use it?

How much would getting wireless internet put into my house and Wii cost? ;>> I could possibly get my parents to do it if I said I'd use all my birthday money towards it if they do the rest >Very Happy
Glitz Pit Souvenir Shop    
Searching For Tippi
mikeytrend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:32 pm   Reply with quote

Jolene wrote:
What I was asking was does the DS need anything to "get" the wifi. i.e. If I'm in a place where wifi is available around me, do I need something on the DS so that the wifi goes into it. o_o;

Guess not. So I don't need anything if I want to go down to the Starbucks and use it?

How much would getting wireless internet put into my house and Wii cost? ;>> I could possibly get my parents to do it if I said I'd use all my birthday money towards it if they do the rest >Very Happy

Oh I see. I was confused on what you were asking. No, as long as there is internet in the air around you your ds will pick it up with no extra things needed.

As for high speed internet...

Well it all depends on what you currently have.
If you have satalite tv or quest home phone service you can get dsl for like $25

If you have cable by comcast they'll install it and it's like $40 a month.

DSL is the better deal, but it is usually slower.
I would suggest finding out who you use for home phone service (if you have one) and going to their website and seeing what they offer.

Sometimes those places even offer a free wireless modems so you wouldn't need anything else to use your ds online, but...
if they don't offer you a wireless modem, you can buy a wireless router for like $50-$80 or buy the nintendo wifi usb dongle for $29.99 (price taken from amazon.com)
Tippington's    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Hi-Technical Support