digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Scientists and religion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion
Burn them out
rawrskey
Benned Vampire
Benned

HP: 70 MP: 5 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:16 am   Reply with quote

I believe, honestly, that Scientists of any kind should NOT believe in religion.

The purpose of science is to learn things, find them out.

And honestly, I think that religion and belief is getting in the way. Scientists should NEVER reject the idea of anything, regardless of how CRAZY it may be. Even if a scientist doesn't think ghosts exist, it should be their job to find out if they DO exist.

It's all too often that we see scientists rejecting completely feasible ideas due to religion or other beliefs, and I honestly despise these "scientists". They aren't scientists at all, really... they're just fools.

discuss.
rawrshop    
the pokemon among flowers
Shaymin

HP: 4 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:20 am   Reply with quote

blah. agreed 100% :<

except like, if their belief leads them into a new actual fact.. but that doesn't happen very often. D:
persium/shaymin has a shop!!!    
Searching For Tippi
mikeytrend

HP: 95 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:23 am   Reply with quote

I agree.
Things that are so-called "moral" and "right"
must be pushed aside for the knowledge of human life.
Tippington's    
Parabuzzy Queen
Macha

HP: 10 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:37 am   Reply with quote

mikeytrend wrote:
I agree.
Things that are so-called "moral" and "right"
must be pushed aside for the knowledge of human life.

Not necessarily. Judaism believes in preserving human life above all else, which means that things such as stem cell research are actually supported by religion.

Myself, I am Jewish. And I intend to become an astrophysicist.
Buzzy Mart    
Cid
Lord Krump

HP: 60 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:30 am   Reply with quote

Buh huh huh. I believe that a scientist can have his or her religion, as long as it does not get in the way of their work. It isn't like the scientist has to be a complete atheist to learn (Afterall, the whole goal of science is to learn, am I right? Buh huh huh!) Maybe it would help if the scientist had some agnostic qualities, though.

The scientist just has to put their work first, and their religion second. For instance, I've seen Christian scientists that study evolution. They don't reject the idea because of their faith at all; they just don't let their religion get in the way, and they keep it to themselves. Buh huh huh, I don't see a problem with that at all. That way, they can be happy, and they don't have to give up their faith or let it get in their way. In all honesty, though, I think there should be a full forum for these types of conversations. Buh huh huh!
The Highwind Goods Store    
Shaymin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:08 am   Reply with quote

Parabuzzy Queen wrote:
Not necessarily. Judaism believes in preserving human life above all else, which means that things such as stem cell research are actually supported by religion.

Myself, I am Jewish. And I intend to become an astrophysicist.

Judaism has to be one of my favorite religions :3

also, bump. I can't think of anything else to say
The Transfigured Buizel
Champiness

HP: 10 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:53 am   Reply with quote

I don't think religion should be cast aside to study science. It's entirely possible to believe in evolution, just as long as you believe that the events of relgion caused it. If you read the bible, it completely supports the theory of evolution.
Mimiga Village    
Shaymin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:28 am   Reply with quote

Champiness wrote:
I don't think religion should be cast aside to study science. It's entirely possible to believe in evolution, just as long as you believe that the events of religion caused it. If you read the bible, it completely supports the theory of evolution.

But if they discovered something against the religion causing evolution, would they stay with religion or explore?
Searching For Tippi
mikeytrend

HP: 95 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:33 pm   Reply with quote

Shaymin wrote:
Champiness wrote:
I don't think religion should be cast aside to study science. It's entirely possible to believe in evolution, just as long as you believe that the events of religion caused it. If you read the bible, it completely supports the theory of evolution.

But if they discovered something against the religion causing evolution, would they stay with religion or explore?

Exactly. People get so wrapped up in their religion they would never go against it. They really can't have a religion because it gives them strong opinions about things.
Tippington's    
Djacwmwfin
Joshamuffin
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:39 pm   Reply with quote

I'm an athiest. I intend to start out as a computer programmer. With a focus of videogames. I want to eventually go into nanotechnology to invent the celluloid robot. That's the name I gave to my idea of an intelligent robot created out of many tiny robots (Like we are made out of cells). I think the best technology is based off of nature. Nature has had billions of years to evolve into what works best. Why don't we take it's ideas?

I'm an athiest because the is currently no evidence at all supporting that God exists. I will not believe in it until you get some damn evidence.
Josh's Useful American Novelties    
Para

HP: 99 MP: 6 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:29 pm   Reply with quote

Joshamuffin wrote:
That's the name I gave to my idea of an intelligent robot created out of many tiny robots (Like we are made out of cells)

Like Hunters on Halo? Sorry, I read somewhere that they were made out of many tiny organisms branched together.

Parabuzzy Queen
Macha

HP: 10 MP: 5 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:10 pm   Reply with quote

Meself, I think there probably is a God... but the cynical little *crag* in me doubts it.

Anyone read Inherit the Wind?
Buzzy Mart    
Burn them out
rawrskey
Benned Vampire
Benned

HP: 70 MP: 5 Lives: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:44 pm   Reply with quote

Let's not go into religious debate here, I don't want flame wars starting up over religion.

The debate here is mixing science with religion.

I still believe it's wrong. As a scientist, you should honestly not be biased in any way, and having no relgion is easily the best way to be unbiased. That's all I have to say, I need not complicate it beyond that.
rawrshop    
Dimentio, Magical Jester

HP: 100 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:45 pm   Reply with quote

Parabuzzy Queen wrote:
Meself, I think there probably is a God... but the cynical little *crag* in me doubts it.

Anyone read Inherit the Wind?

Not me, but I do believe in God.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion