digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Life and Death
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion
Cid
Lord Krump

HP: 60 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:07 am   Reply with quote

The other day I had a coversation with someone about immortality, and it was quite interesting, so I decided to bring it up here, as well. It revolved around the idea that humanity might find the "fountain of youth" in the medical and scientific fields one day. Not in this generation, of course, but in future generations. He argued that people shouldn't live forever, and have a natural "duty" to die. My opinion was found somewhere in-between, although leaning more towards finding a way to prolong life.

So, here's the question. If, in the future, people could develop a way to preserve lives indefinitely, one way or another, do you believe that people should go along with that, and become "immortal", or should people continue to die, naturally, as if they lived out their given time?
The Highwind Goods Store    
oar
Super Maiq the Liar

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:18 am   Reply with quote

If people never died, you would have to stop reproduction to prevent overpopulation, it would probably become law to have your children spayed/neutered (lol, Bob Barker) so there is no chance of accidental births.
Tamriellic Titles    
Jr. Troopa
Admiral Bobbery

HP: 15 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:51 am   Reply with quote

Naturally, we should die as it goes in the cycle of life. Someone is born as someone dies. It’s just the way things worked. Now, if people were to live longer and possibly, future generations, found the “fountain of youth”, then it could pose some problems but yet, it could also be quite useful.

Our society is continually growing and people are living longer. Families could be more happy if they had their great-grandfathers living. Family parties and traditions would become better, as they had more people to share their love towards each other. If people would soon live up to 150 years old, or perhaps even higher, there could be more people to tell us the morals of which we could live up to. We would have better sources of finding things in the past and making history books more accurate.

Though, a problem we have is overpopulation. Places would be crammed and job opportunities would be decreased. In the future, there would probably be better ways into making better of unused places. There could be a way to clean up the old and beat down cities of the world and fill them with life. Deserts would probably be used as places to live in. There may be methods in the future to make the climate suitable in deserts, to live in and clean up anything that is harmful to human life. The sands and the animals may also be useful in these new societies. Waters, and even oceans, we may soon live there. Even in space, there is the possibility of living there.

Some of us would find another problem. Global Warming would increase exponentially. If methods of reducing global warning were taken into full force in the future and were increased by the inhabitants of the earth, in future generations, then the world may be a better place. There may be more scientists, doctors, professors, and teachers, to help the world become safer. But then there is also the risk of more thieves, terrorists, etc.

I’m leaning a bit toward the fountain of youth because the old have lessons that we can learn from them all. They are the wise ones of our society. They helped make the world as it is and they can continue to improve it and fulfill their dreams.
Troopa's Treats    
Medikoopa
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 1 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:59 am   Reply with quote

There's also the psychological effect of eternal life.

Do you think that anyone would be capable of handling two centuries of life, let alone eternity? They would go mad before long.

Eternal life is a sort of death. It kills sanity, so that the eternal one might be able to take in even a thousand years of life.

And in the end, what would there be?

What would eternal life grant the one who has it?

When they have learned everything there is, seen everything... What is there?

Nothing.

In the end, those with Life Eternal would wish to be done with the so called 'blessing'.

But there wouldn't be a way, would there?

Perhaps they would find a way, perhaps not.

Eternal Life is a curse.

Do not seek it out.
Dark Land Supply Store    
Token Nazi?
Zelnor

HP: 10 MP: 7 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:43 am   Reply with quote

I have to agree with Medikoop - whilst the thought frightens me sometimes, humans are not built for eternal life. It would become more boring then you could ever imagine - and your sanity would waltz off into madland. As a Christian, I hope that the next world isn't so boring - and believe that there we might be able to deal with eternity in a friendly and happy way.
Twilit Mall: Zelnor Mart    
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA
Francine

HP: 78 MP: 4 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:52 am   Reply with quote

Wait, would people still age? There's no point of living forever if you're only growing older and weaker by the second. Unless there's some way to stop the aging process from deteriorating the body, but that is eternal youth, not necessarily eternal life.
The Shop on a Hill    
Medikoopa
Vampire

HP: 100 MP: 1 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:07 pm   Reply with quote

Francine wrote:
Wait, would people still age? There's no point of living forever if you're only growing older and weaker by the second. Unless there's some way to stop the aging process from deteriorating the body, but that is eternal youth, not necessarily eternal life.

Eternal Youth and Eternal Life walk hand in hand.

If one's body grows old and weak, sick and frail, the person is doomed to die eventually.

If one discovers the secret to Eternal Youth, they have, in effect, discovered Eternal Life. Or, rather, solved a way to evade death by old age or sickness.
Dark Land Supply Store    
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA
Francine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:01 pm   Reply with quote

Could reverse aging come into the equation?
The Shop on a Hill    
Larry Koopa
Sam

HP: 35 MP: 1 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:02 pm   Reply with quote

wait.. doesn't fountain of youth mean pen1s? or at least, thats what teh bible says..
Koop    
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA
Francine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:04 pm   Reply with quote

Altair wrote:
wait.. doesn't fountain of youth mean pen1s? or at least, thats what teh bible says..

What in God's name are you talking about?!
The Shop on a Hill    
Larry Koopa
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:06 pm   Reply with quote

Francine wrote:
Altair wrote:

What in God's name are you talking about?!

The Bible.

Fountain of Youth means peenis., for the Bible tells me so.
Little ones who thing there smart, they all suck but he is strong!

YES JESUS LOVES ME!!! YEEES JESUS LOVES ME!!

YES FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH = PENIS!! FOR THE BIBLE TELLS ME SO..

well, whatever. in the bible, they were talking about sex. and they mentioned the "Fountain" of youth. now thing of it. the penis can make babies. and babies, are youth. so that makes the penis the fountain of youth. or at least thats what the bible says.
Koop    
oar
Super Maiq the Liar

HP: 100 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:38 pm   Reply with quote

Altair just wanted to say penis about 10 times...
Tamriellic Titles    
Larry Koopa
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:43 pm   Reply with quote

Maiq the Liar wrote:
Altair just wanted to say penis about 10 times...

IM *crag* TELLING THE TRUTH!
Koop    
Jr. Troopa
Admiral Bobbery

HP: 15 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:46 pm   Reply with quote

Well Altiar, you do keep saying it is in the bible. Could you tell us then what page number, what book and chapter, you found that phrase in?
Troopa's Treats    
Larry Koopa
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:50 pm   Reply with quote

Jr. Troopa wrote:
Well Altiar, you do keep saying it is in the bible. Could you tell us then what page number, what book and chapter, you found that phrase in?

I seriously dont remember. but I will try to find it. Of course they didn't mention Penis, but they were talking about sex..I'll ask my brother, Im sure he knows. either that, or he liez to me. brb
Koop    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion