digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Completed my German Playthrough ( Spoilers )

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Super Paper Mario
Mariofan9

HP: 50 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:36 am   Reply with quote

Hello guys.

My second playthrough of Super Paper Mario... was in GERMAN! Allow me to tell you of this experience, and I hope to discuss all of it with you guys.

I plan to make German my third language ( Dutch and English are my first two languages ), so I figured playing games in German would lead to a better knowledge of the German language.

The intro movie confused me a bit because of a word that kept flying by. Only after a while, the horrible truth became clear to me: They had translated Count Bleck to "Graf Knickwitz".

The translation often seemed a bit improvised and not literal ( I'm rather good at remembering the English text ), but all-in-all, I did learn more German, and I enjoyed it ( I like the language ).

Now, what I liked the most: The stirring parts of the story were still stirring, many of the jokes were nicely changed to a German version, and fortunately Mario was still Mario.

Now, what I disliked: Graf Knickwitz. On another note, I think the identity of Blumiere was revealed REALLY, REALLY early on because of a shameful mistake. In one of the story pieces about Blumiere and Timpani, where Blumiere discovers he's in a human's house, he vocalizes his disgust with "Blech...". In the German version, he says "Knickediknack", which is the "Bleck!" call-out in German. I might be wrong- but I'm pretty sure.

More neutral notes: Some characters had other names; O'Chunks was called "O'Klock", the Cragnons were the "Klippulaner" and Flint Cragley was "Karl Klippstein".

But all in all, I had a fun experience playing through this game in German. Next: Twilight Princess... in German!

If you're still wondering why I posted this... I would like to discuss it with you. What is your opinion on the names, on the translation? Any questions? Ask me while I beat it recently! Smile
Shop of Identities    
The Double Duece!
Strong Bad

HP: 99 MP: 4 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:04 pm   Reply with quote

Karl Klippstein is an awesome name.
Toad House    
Mariofan9

HP: 50 MP: 10 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:53 am   Reply with quote

Strong Bad wrote:
Karl Klippstein is an awesome name.

I agree Razz . But would you prefer it over Flint Cragley?
Shop of Identities    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Super Paper Mario