digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

What I hope to achieve as President...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Elections
Cid
Lord Krump

HP: 60 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:17 am   Reply with quote

Popple wrote:
ONCE UPON A TIME THERE WAS A PLACE CALLED THE DUMP

WE SET IT ON FIRE AND KICKED IT INTO A RIVER OF CRUDE OIL

I WONDER WHY

The Dump was dissolved because having a spamboard on a small site with 50-100 members is a bad idea!

But, as much as I believe a Spamboard would be a nice addition to the site, there are more important issues that need to be dealt with, first. Including dead boards and the Search function!
The Highwind Goods Store    
Richest user. :D
Super Ultimario

HP: 100 MP: 4 Lives: 6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:55 am   Reply with quote

The Dump was deleted because of massive [M] and flaming. Not spam (though maybe flooding played a role in its death). I personally think this Spamboard should clear out topics 2 days after its last posts. That way bandwidth and such aren't problems at all.
Ultimario Mart!    
Cid
Lord Krump

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:06 pm   Reply with quote

We now have a problem on our hands.

The Groups directory is crowded up with spammy/pointless groups, making it harder and harder to find legitimate ones. The moderation team does not hold power over these groups, and members are getting away with various offenses in these groups that shouldn't be allowed on the site, private or not.

If I am elected President, I will do my best to convince Francis to clean up these pointless groups, and create a way of distinguishing a legitimate group from a pointless one. I will also devise a solution to the spamming needs of some members- one that will remove the incentive to make multiple spam groups.
The Highwind Goods Store    
Apparently missed a lot
LudwigVonKoopa
Vampire

HP: 5 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:48 pm   Reply with quote

Cid wrote:
I'M LIKE THE PRESIDENT, I'M MAKING SPEECH BULLSHIT UP

Here's how I saw the first post.
Stuff Mart    
Cid
Lord Krump

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:01 pm   Reply with quote

LudwigVonKoopa wrote:
I'm too lazy to read the first post, but I'll criticize it anyway.

Here's how I saw Ludwig's post.
The Highwind Goods Store    
See?
Popple

HP: 99 MP: 8 Lives: 10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:09 pm   Reply with quote

I must ask, what do you intended to do for an ad campaign?
As I have my own opinions on this matter and would like to know what my peers are doing.

I do think that it is an issue, and we might as well work together on it since at least one of us is going to be president.

Any other candidates are welcome to comment on this as well.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Cid
Lord Krump

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:24 pm   Reply with quote

Popple wrote:
I must ask, what do you intended to do for an ad campaign?
As I have my own opinions on this matter and would like to know what my peers are doing.

I do think that it is an issue, and we might as well work together on it since at least one of us is going to be president.

Any other candidates are welcome to comment on this as well.

What I was planning to do was to privately contact members, and pay them a certain amount of coins to visit other websites and advertise (If those websites have individual advertisement boards, that is. If not, they would wear an ad sig, and post around.) They would post for a bit before they began advertising, to avoid getting banned because their accounts exist only for advertising (Say, five posts a day for a week, and then the advertising begins. They would be paid upon the presentation of proof of their work.)

What I also plan to do is expand the audience and appeal of the site, advertising it as more of a "general gaming" site than a "Mario/Nintendo-centric" site, yet still keeping the site true to its roots, theme-wise- of course, complete understanding of those roots would not be a requirement.
The Highwind Goods Store    
See?
Popple

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 pm   Reply with quote

I hoped you wouldn't say that.

I for one feel that this form of advertising is outdated, at least to the effect that you speak of.

I think we should focus on adding more content to Digi, making it a more viable offer for different walks of life.

For instance, working towards a more complex battle system to make it a semi MMORPG like Outwar, getting together an editorial team to turn the frontpage into a gaming blog, getting the podcast up and running again under a more appealing format to non-members, etc.

I think Digi in it's present form hjas achieved the maximum of daily member intake it is going to achieve, and to make the site more popular we must first make it more viable.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Cid
Lord Krump

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:33 pm   Reply with quote

Popple wrote:
I hoped you wouldn't say that.

I for one feel that this form of advertising is outdated, at least to the effect that you speak of.

I think we should focus on adding more content to Digi, making it a more viable offer for different walks of life.

For instance, working towards a more complex battle system to make it a semi MMORPG like Outwar, getting together an editorial team to turn the frontpage into a gaming blog, getting the podcast up and running again under a more appealing format to non-members, etc.

I think Digi in it's present form hjas achieved the maximum of daily member intake it is going to achieve, and to make the site more popular we must first make it more viable.

Of course, improvements to the site must be made before we begin to advertise. If I did say that an ad campaign should begin immediately, I retract that statement- as we can't expect to bring members to a site that lacks appeal. I have had first-hand experience with people elsewhere shying away from ads I've made for this site in the past- even people who liked Paper Mario felt that boards for individual games like Super Paper Mario or Mario Kart were a little too much. I also believe the battle system needs to be re-worked, too.

I do agree that selling a broken product will get us nowhere. Let's fix it.
The Highwind Goods Store    
See?
Popple

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:35 pm   Reply with quote

Yes, I can see we share similar views on this topic.

I must say that if I do lose the elections, I hope it is due to you and Goomba.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Tails Doll

HP: 100 MP: 3 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:57 pm   Reply with quote

Since Popple dropped out, I will probably vote for you guys.
Hell    
See?
Popple

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:05 pm   Reply with quote

I'm just going to support your campaign now.

I really don't want to be president, because I still feel like this is a pointless popularity contest, but if someone winds it I rather it be you than anyone else.
Popple's Secret Hideout    
Cid
Lord Krump

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:41 am   Reply with quote

Here's more information on what I plan to do about the "site staff" I've proposed.

You see, I want to improve the site and fix its problems, yes, but I also want to help evolve the site. Digibutter is just too unique a concept to be passed up; therefore, I would like to help this site evolve into something that is what it currently is, and much more. I'd like to see the main page of digibutter become a reliable source of information for gaming enthusiasts.

What I'm proposing is for the main page to be re-organized, and to contain links to different sections. We'll have a "Gaming News Archive," which contains articles and information written by our expert news staff (And whenever a new article is written, it will be posted on the main page in one of the messages.)

We'll also have a reviews archive that is linked to from the main page, which will contain user-submitted game reviews (The most detailed and best-written of these critiques will become the "official" review from digibutter.)

The News Staff will probably consist of 3-4 people, whereas the reviews are user-generated, and voted upon by the News Staff to see whether they are included in the main page (Think of the main page as a newspaper.) Also, I would like witty gaming or media-related comics to be rewarded, and posted in their own comics archive that is linked to from the front page.

YCotW will remain, but I'd like to see it expanded (Below the YCotW image, there will be a link to images past.) Towards the bottom of the page, there will be a link to a "Butterfly Museum," which will, hopefully, revive the digital butterflies forum, thus keeping this site true to its origins. The Museum will contain user-generated butterflies; there will be no standard, as it would all be for fun.

Once these goals are completed, and the inactive/unneeded boards are removed, I will then call for the members to advertise the site, in force. We need this site to grow, and under the changes that I'm proposing, this site WILL have the appeal necessary to grow.

Now, you may wonder why we need a constant supply of new members. The fact of the matter is is that every member will eventually leave the site; therefore, we must do what we can to make the site better for future generations of members to enjoy. It is about creating something worth remembering.

Now, the President will not have the power to directly change the site (As in an Admin-sorta way), but he'll certainly be able to communicate with Francis, and influence him far more than usual. And I promise you- your voices will not go unheard. I WILL push Francis to implement these changes, as well as your suggestions. This Presidency thing may just be for fun, in the eyes of many and probably in the eyes of Francis, but I see this as an opportunity to do something more. To raise the site's morale, and to truly make a difference in the site.
The Highwind Goods Store    
Flavio Twitch Boobs
Super Hario

HP: 10 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:23 am   Reply with quote

While I hate to slander the opponents in this election, I must state one thing about your campaign; from what I see, you are not campaigning for the people. You are campaigning for your own personal interests. Your plans are to overcomplicate the site, to apparently only by your own motivation. Do we really need things like a reviews archive? Should reviews even be mandatory from members? Do we need a news staff? Aren't members capable of getting information from Announcements and other members? Also, only once have you ever said anything about listening to members, and promising them that their voices will be heard. But are you actually going to do this? Are you going to plead for a spam board because the members want it? Or is it because you want it?
The Little Shop of Hario    
Cid
Lord Krump

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:57 am   Reply with quote

Waylon wrote:
While I hate to slander the opponents in this election, I must state one thing about your campaign; from what I see, you are not campaigning for the people. You are campaigning for your own personal interests.

I am, indeed, campaigning for the people. Our site has not had a large influx of new members in a long amount of time. Members are slowly leaving the site, and if we do not keep it interesting, we will have no new members to replace those members, and thus, our community will die.

I know the complaints and problems of the community, and I plan to fix those. You see, this is where the problem lies. Alot of candidates believe that there should be absolutely no innovation until the problems of the site are fixed for good. They do not realize that problems like "spam" or "flame" will never be truly remedied 100%, and that whenever we remedy a problem, a new one arises.

That's why we must fix problems WHILE we innovate. We need to push forward; straight through this muddy bog. Otherwise, if we just stood still trying to fix problems, we would never get anywhere. That is why we need to do both, at the same time.

Quote:
Your plans are to overcomplicate the site, to apparently only by your own motivation.

My plans are not to overcomplicate the site, but to make the site more than a small, relatively unknown board. What I am campaigning for is not aspects that are going to "overcomplicate the site," but rather, aspects that will "make the site legitimate;" as a true site staff, articles written by members and staff members, and other fine information are aspects of nearly every major fansite on the internet. My plans are not based on my motivation; rather, I am thinking outside the box. Something the other candidates haven't been doing as much as they should.

Quote:
Do we really need things like a reviews archive?

Do we really "need" coins, or items? Do we really "need" RPOT when we have RP? Do we really "need" groups, a wiki, tournaments, or occasional parties?

You see, basic needs stabilize a site. Of course. But to make the site worthy of recognition, and to make it truly interesting and fun, we add features that seemingly aren't "needed."

Quote:
Should reviews even be mandatory from members?

I don't believe I said anything about reviews being mandatory, but as an option for members to contribute or to become staff members.

Quote:
Do we need a news staff? Aren't members capable of getting information from Announcements and other members?

Those other members get information from other "news staffs" as well. What if we had, say, a member who could translate a Japanese magazine scan to English? Crazy news that could be found in an all-Japanese article that is of interest to our community would definitely need to be posted on the front page.

Quote:
Also, only once have you ever said anything about listening to members, and promising them that their voices will be heard.

How do you define "only once?" By this thread? By what you've seen? Because I'm quite sure I've stated that I will listen to members on multiple occasions.

Quote:
But are you actually going to do this? Are you going to plead for a spam board because the members want it?

Although a spam board would be nice, it's not the focus of what I intend to accomplish.

Quote:
Or is it because you want it?

A mixture of both, really. You see, sometimes, people don't know a good thing when they hear it. I will listen to the needs and wants of the members, true, but I will also innovate with my own knowledge.

Now, let me ask you this; are you afraid of change? Afterall, by the attacks you've made on me in that paragraph, you don't seem to like the idea of digibutter becoming bigger or better. You do know that we rarely get new members, and our community is slowly losing members? We need to make the site more interesting, and have it appeal to a larger audience, while still keeping true to its roots. Otherwise, digibutter.nerr will die, and be forgotten among the pages of history.

Your conservative view of the site's progress is quite strong. Are you afraid of change? Are you against innovation?

And, one more thing. If I'm not, in your opinion, pushing for what the members think is good for the site, why have I gotten such strong support?
The Highwind Goods Store    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Elections