digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

The Dark Knight review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Media
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

HP: 10 MP: 6 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:39 pm   Reply with quote

I saw this to count down to the new year, and let me say something: It was nowhere near as good as I thought it was going to be. Especially with all the cheesy things.

Before I review the plot, special effects, etc. I'm going to review what was great in the movie, and what sucked.

At one point, there are two boats that the Joker rigged to explode. One is full of good citizens, and one is full of criminals. Each boat was given the detonator to the other boat. If neither boat exploded before midnight, the Joker was going to blow them both up. Neither person in charge of the crews wanted to die, but they didn't want to kill, either. One very tough looking criminal went up to the guy with the detonator and said, "You want to die, but you don't know how to take a life. Give me the detonator. I'll do it." So the man, very slowly and reluctantly gave him the detonator. And much to my liking, the criminal threw it out the window of the boat, and went to sit back down, looking very unhappy about what he just did. Meanwhile, almost the same thing happened on the boat with the "good" people. A man stepped up, and said "Fine. No one wants to get their hands dirty? I'll do it. Those criminals chose to murder, rob, and steal, but we didn't do anything wrong. Why should we be the ones to die?" He tried to pull the switch but he couldn't do it. VERY much to my disliking, he didn't blow the other boat up, either. I was hoping he would either blow up the boat with the criminals, or try to blow up the criminal's boat, but have the detonator really be the one to their own boat, and he would blow him and everyone else up for trying to become the bad guy. This would have made the criminals be the ones to do the right thing, and the "good" people be the bad guys. It would have been a much better story if that had happened, but unfortunately, neither boat blew each other up. The Joker was caught by the Batman, right before he was going to blow up both boats. That made the Joker unable to blow up the boats, which as sort of corny, but not really.

Another thing that ruined the movie for me, is that when Harvey Dent became Two-Face, how he has no eyelids or eyebrow on the half of his face that got burned. I know it wouldn't be as realistic if he had them, but it completely ruined the villain for me. I could barely see his facial expressions, because of that one eye. It was so wide, that it made it seem like Two-Face always had either a confused look, or an endearing one, and that completely ruined the villain for me. It made him seem so much less evil.

There were a ton of other cheesey things, like: How Two-Face didn't kill any of the main characters, when he had the perfect chance. He tried to kill the Batman, but he failed, so that was ok. He should have at least shot the cop's son, or something. The fact that every single main character was safe, besides Rachel was incredibly stupid.

The final thing that ruined it for me was that the music was much louder than the speech. I could barely hear the cop (I forget his name), the Joker (only in some points), and the Batman. Especially not the Batman. Every line he spoke as Bruce Wayne, it was normal. Every line he spoke as the Batman was is a low, growly voice, and I only caught about 13 Batman lines the whole film. Some points, the speech was a little better, but overall, the speech sucked.

Ratings:

Special Effects: 9.8/10

The special effects were amazing! The explosions looked completely real, as did the fires. The Batmobile looked pretty good, and after it exploded, causing him to use the motorcycle, which ALSO looked pretty real. You could tell the Batmobile was CGI, though, and you could sort of tell that the motorcycle was CGI, but not incredibly. The only crappy effect was Two-Face's eye, you could tell was completely fake.

Realism: 9.9/10

Everything in the movie (besides the Batman himself, and Two-Face, because there's no way you could survive having half of your face catch on fire, leaving you with no cheeks, nothing protecting your muscles, eye, etc.) seemed like it really could happen in New York City. The only unrealistic part was that Two-Face could say things like "biased" and "feel," when he only has half a mouth. If he couldn't say that stuff, it would have made it even harder to tell what the dialogue was. Also, it seemed odd that the people who (seemingly worked for the Joker, but turned out to be the hostages) wore rubber masks, it was odd to me that the masks looked more like real plactic modls and stuff, rather than something you can just get at i Party for $3.00.

Costumes/Makeup: 9/10

I took a point away, because, while the Joker's makeup and costume was absolutely outstanding, the Batman's costume looked more like a new Iron Man suit, rather than a costume. Two face's half-missing face could have also been better. Also, as I mentioned before,

Other Visuals: 10/10

These were just simply amazing. Nothing else to say.

Plot: 10/10

The Joker wanted to find and kill the Batman, so that he could kill people and everything without having to know that people have hope left. He wanted the Batman to turn himself in, and reveal who he was. And every day the Batman didn't do this, he would kill one person, and he would always hint, somehow, who he was targeting. Eventually, Harvey Dent said he was the Batman, and he got arrested for it. They captured him and Rachel, and they were going to let their friends decide which one lives and which one dies. Rachel got killed, and the Joker took Harvey. Harvey's face caught on fire, but was extinguished. He went to the hospital, and the Joker pretended to be a nurse. The Joker wanted a certain man dead by 4:00 (I forget what time it really was) or he was going to blow up a hospital. He talked to Harvey, just before blowing up the hospital, and he knew how to get Harvey into a depression deep enough to corrupt him. Harvey, or Two-Face was now the villain, because the Joker was caught. He used his two-headed coin, which was now burned on one side, to decide who to kill and who to keep alive. He found the cop, and was about to kill the cop's son, when the Batman came in. He shot the Batman, and the cop begged for Two-Face to keep his son alive, and kill him, instead. The Batman caught Two-Face, and Two-Face fell all the way down to the ground and died.

Characters/Character Portrayals: 9/10

Something tells me the Batman doesn't growl in the comic strip.

Comedy: N/A

It wasn't a comedy movie, so I'm not rating this. There were a few little small things that were kinda funny, but not really.

Soundtrack: 8/10

I don't remember it too well, but I think it was overall a great soundtrack, but there could have been more.

Running Time: 9/10

The running time was almost 2:30. They could have told the story in 1:30, but I think that all of the minor things were nice. I really like the unnecessary things that added time, because they were suspenseful and brought out more character in everyone.

Overall Rating: 9/10

To give a more professional rating, 4.5 stars. Read the whole review to find out why I rated it the way I did.
Milton Games    
lolwut
Sinani201

HP: 100 MP: 0 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:39 pm   Reply with quote

Quote:
There were a few little small things that were kinda funny, but not really.

Maybe, but the parts that were supposed to be funny were really funny, like the disappearing pencil trick and that stuff.
Starcraft I Units    
PC Gamer
Alexio
Vampire

HP: 15 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:47 pm   Reply with quote

One thing that bugged me about the review is that Harvey Dent is supposed to be Two Face. Half of his face is supposed to be disfigured (but by acid in the comics). It wouldn't be a Batman movie if Harvey Dent didn't turn to Two Face. This is coming from a comic fan, so I know more about Two Face's character from the comics.

Last edited by Alexio on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Shop of Alex    
hai
Spiny

HP: 100 MP: 6 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:37 pm   Reply with quote

Sinani201 wrote:
Quote:

Maybe, but the parts that were supposed to be funny were really funny, like the disappearing pencil trick and that stuff.

Personally, I thought that part actually sucked.
Infact, most of the Joker moments that were meant to be funny fell flat.
Only real funny one is when he has trouble setting off that last bomb in the hospital.

Overall, I think this movie got abit too much praise.
Gemstone Goods    
Shadow Kingdom
Spell Seal
Burning

HP: 80 MP: 0 Lives: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:54 pm   Reply with quote

Spiny wrote:
Sinani201 wrote:
Quote:

Personally, I thought that part actually sucked.
Only real funny one is when he has trouble setting off that last bomb in the hospital.

Aw come on, that trick was awesome.
DISGUISE KIT    
THE BIRTHDAY GIRL
King Harkinian
Burning

HP: 88 MP: 10 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:38 pm   Reply with quote

The only thing I liked about The Dark Knight was the Joker. Otherwise the movie sucked.

WHY SO SERIOUS?
The King's Chamber    
Cid
Lord Krump

HP: 60 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:59 pm   Reply with quote

King Harkinian wrote:
The only thing I liked about The Dark Knight was the Joker. Otherwise the movie sucked.

WHY SO SERIOUS?

All of the actors performed their roles masterfully, and the plot was well-written. The Joker was certainly brought to life by Heath Ledger in an intensity that no actor has before (And while taking inspiration from the darker (And generally best-remembered) interprations of the Joker found in the comics of the late 80s), true, but he wasn't all there was to like about the film. Unless you didn't pay a single bit of attention to the time when Ledger wasn't onscreen, I don't see how you could view the film as a bad movie.
The Highwind Goods Store    
hai
Spiny

HP: 100 MP: 6 Lives: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:21 pm   Reply with quote

Cid wrote:
King Harkinian wrote:

WHY SO SERIOUS?

All of the actors performed their roles masterfully, and the plot was well-written. The Joker was certainly brought to life by Heath Ledger in an intensity that no actor has before (And while taking inspiration from the darker (And generally best-remembered) interprations of the Joker found in the comics of the late 80s), true, but he wasn't all there was to like about the film. Unless you didn't pay a single bit of attention to the time when Ledger wasn't onscreen, I don't see how you could view the film as a bad movie.

Didn't live up to the hype=/=bad movie.
It had a decent amount of good points, but it just isn't as good as you or the other critics made it out to be.

AND THE PENCIL TRICK WAS PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY JOKE THAT COMPLETELY FELL FLAT FOR ME.
Gemstone Goods    
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:21 pm   Reply with quote

Cid wrote:
King Harkinian wrote:

WHY SO SERIOUS?

Again, a movie that didn't live up to hype =/= a bad movie.

And you really thought Christian Bale was good as the Batman? He was good as Bruce Wayne, but...

Spiny wrote:
It had a decent amount of good points, but it just isn't as good as you or the other critics made it out to be.

AND THE PENCIL TRICK WAS PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY JOKE THAT COMPLETELY FELL FLAT FOR ME.
I agree completely.

Spiny wrote:
Sinani201 wrote:
Quote:

[color=red]Personally, I thought that part actually sucked.

Come one, that pencil thing was funny. I also agree about the hospital bomb
Milton Games    
Cid
Lord Krump

HP: 60 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:14 am   Reply with quote

Quote:

And how does that apply to my response to the other member's? That member stated it 'sucked.' Sucked = bad, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:

What makes that opinion any more valid than mine (Or 95% of all other critics, professional or otherwise?) You always have a tendency to point out when someone's treating something in a "matter-of-fact" way, Spiny; why aren't you doing so here (With yourself)?

And, again, even if it didn't live up to the hype (Which I don't see how it didn't), it's virtually impossible to find it a bad movie.

Fat Tuper wrote:
Again, a movie that didn't live up to hype =/= a bad movie.

I think we all understood that to begin with, so it's pointless for you to have brought that up. The member I replied to stated the movie sucked; my response was valid.

Quote:
And you really thought Christian Bale was good as the Batman? He was good as Bruce Wayne, but...

Of course he was. I found that he provided the most realistic interpretation (As well as the most serious one) yet, without giving in to the Adam West campiness that some of the other actors that have portrayed the character in the past have. Overall, his portrayal was the most faithful (And best) of them all.
The Highwind Goods Store    
Fat Tuper
lovegod703

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:23 am   Reply with quote

Cid wrote:
Quote:

And how does that apply to my response to the other member's? That member stated it 'sucked.' Sucked = bad, if I'm not mistaken.
Oh, I didn't realize that.

Cid wrote:
even if it didn't live up to the hype (Which I don't see how it didn't)
Because everyone says things like "It's THE BEST MOVIE EVAAAAAR" and "If you were going to see one movie in your whole life, it HAS to be this one," which I personally disagree with.

Cid wrote:
Quote:

Of course he was. I found that he provided the most realistic interpretation (As well as the most serious one) yet, without giving in to the Adam West campiness that some of the other actors that have portrayed the character in the past have. Overall, his portrayal was the most faithful (And best) of them all.
Well, sure, his form and body motions were good, but I could barely tell anything he said in the whole movie.
Milton Games    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> Media