digibutter.nerr Forum Index
Hey [you]! If you haven't noticed, this is now the old digibutter forums. Go over to the new site!
digibutter.nerr
It's Hi-Technicaaal!

Politically Incorrect Pokemon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion
Psst...
Die4Less
Vampire

HP: 95 MP: 0 Lives: 2

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:36 pm   Reply with quote

Just something interesting I found... If it's old, sorry.

1-5-00
By Carole B. Weatherford

"I confess: I succumbed to Pokémon fever. I took my 10-year-old son to "The Pokémon Movie" during opening weekend. I suffered through the bad animation and mindless plot while he sat spellbound as the battles advanced toward a saccharine moral. When I saw the movie, I already understood the phenomenon, having bought Pokémon Red, Blue, Yellow and Pinball. Manufactured by Japan's Nintendo Corp., these digital games challenge players to collect and train 150 little pocket monsters that gain power as they evolve. If my two children are any indication, the game is incredibly fun and addictive.

The fun merely begins with the game, however. Pokémon trading cards capitalize on the game's popularity. Despite my son's begging, I initially resisted investing in Pokémon cards, having bought Pogs and Beanie Babies when those fads were at their peak. So, without spending a dime, my son assembled a 60-some-card collection using duplicates donated by friends. I eventually relented and allowed him to buy a starter set, theme deck and several booster packs of Pokemon cards at prices ranging from $4 to $17.

Like I said, I have submitted to Pokémania. And I would have paid a premium for the video game Pokémon Snap if only I could have found it on store shelves or e-commerce sites during the holiday shopping season. Unfortunately, Nintendo underestimated demand, and the most popular Pokémon toys were snatched up around Thanksgiving. Committed to resume my search for Pokémon Snap after the Christmas rush, I saw a character on the Pokémon TV cartoon that not only stripped the phenomenon of its innocence but stopped me cold.

The character Jynx, Pokémon #124, has decidedly human features: jet-black skin, huge pink lips, gaping eyes, a straight blonde mane and a full figure, complete with cleavage and wiggly hips. Put another way, Jynx resembles an overweight drag queen incarnation of Little Black Sambo, a racist stereotype from a children's book long ago purged from libraries.

While my 10- and 12-year olds do not find Jynx offensive, their parents and grandparents do. We call a spade a spade. And we have seen enough racist stereotypes to know one when we see it. There was room to debate whether "Star Wars: Episode One's" Jar Jar Binks was West Indian, but there is no question about this Pokémon character. Jynx clearly denigrates African Americans, particularly black women. At the close of the 20th century, how could Japanese computer animators unleash such a culturally insensitive menace on the global marketplace?

In Asia the racist stereotypes popular before World War II apparently die hard. In 1985 when Colgate-Palmolive bought Darkie Toothpaste from Hong Kong's Hazel & Hawley Chemical Co., the new owner inherited not only a leading brand but also a racist name and logo featuring a grinning caricature in blackface and a top hat. Rival Procter & Gamble leaked news of the offensive logo to the American market, sparking protests by civil rights groups. Though Colgate eventually scrapped the Al Jolson-inspired logo and changed the brandname to Darlie, the Cantonese name-Haak Yahn Nga Gou-remains "Black Man Toothpaste."

Every few years, the Japanese sense of superiority seems to resurface.

For example, the Japanese fought to keep U.S. military bases in Okinawa from relocating to the mainland. And about a decade ago, a high-ranking Japanese official attributed Japan's low crime rate to the country's lack of ethnic diversity, blaming African Americans for the high crime rate in the U.S.

These are strange days. Sisters in Harlem toss long tresses-courtesy of hair extensions shorn from women in Shanghai-to the beat of misogynistic raps produced by Japanese media giant Sony.

So I am not surprised, though I am appalled, that a computer animator at a Japanese corporation would conceive of Jynx and that corporate executives would deem the character appropriate for multiracial markets. Even Jynx's name-a variation on the term "jinx," which means a bearer of bad luck-has negative connotations. In addition, the name Jynx suggests a link with witch doctors and voodoo, practices rooted in African religion but often ridiculed by Western culture.

Pokémon is unquestionably the year's hottest toy. Since Pokémon's arrival in the U.S. in 1998, more than 7 million of the games have been sold, representing more than half of all U.S. video game revenues.

Will African-American parents continue to cough up hard-earned dollars for games and trading cards featuring a monstrously racist image? Will Jynx deal Pokémon's last hand in the black community? Or will the blonde-haired, black-faced, monster evolve into an ebony princess? Stay 'tooned'."

A response to the above article...

"Wow! Why don't you publish a newspaper article complaining about every cartoon character that have the colour black on them? Besides, what is 'Darlie Toothpaste' to do with Pokemon? If your aim is to insult Japanese, can you just not pull all the Cantonese into the sea as well? You say that Japanese and Cantonese are racist to black people, I have enough confidence to say, it is in fact that you had indicated you are racist to yellow people.

In fact, many old American cartoons show racism to black people, and you have no complains at all? The question lies here! Why not complain about those as well?

In 'Politically Incorrect Pokemon', you said that at the first site you see Jynx, it stopped you cold. But in 'Japan's Bigoted Export to Kids' you said that "At first, I though that Jynx was an aberration." So what do you exactly mean? Moreover, have you actually come over with racist containing story lines in Pokemon? Sure not! The conclusion is, your articles and evidence cannot be accepted at all!

Discuss... I personally must agree with the guy who posted the response... If she is making a complaint about a few characters, then why isn't she complaining about everything else that's stereotyped in today's world?
Die4Less Corp.    
and I control the decks
carfilledwithfish

HP: 88 MP: 7 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:34 pm   Reply with quote

Must be pretty old, since she's complaining about Jynx being black.

It's purple now. Not racist.

~A color is just a color~
Frozenwinters

HP: 1 MP: 0 Lives: 4

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:45 pm   Reply with quote

This is ancient news considering they BANNED one of the first pokemon episodes for having the black Jynx.
The Carmadox Party    
jacking off
Small Sammer Guy

HP: 10 MP: 2 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:49 pm   Reply with quote

its very old.

what those two above me said are basically it.
Baby Shop    
Carpaccio
Super BLU Spy

HP: 100 MP: 9 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:12 pm   Reply with quote

EDIT: Oh, now that I read your post a second time, I delete my well-thought-out and laboriously-typed reply and type this up.
Sigil Securities    
WHO HA HOO HEY HOOM
Paper Luigi
Vampire

HP: 1 MP: 7 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:29 pm   Reply with quote

Dude, this was written before Pokemon Snap came out. It's ancient.
PaperLuigi's Inconvienence Store    
DarkBlueAce
Louis

HP: 99 MP: 0 Lives: 0

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:52 pm   Reply with quote

"And about a decade ago, a high-ranking Japanese official attributed Japan's low crime rate to the country's lack of ethnic diversity, blaming African Americans for the high crime rate in the U.S."

That is one giant assumption.
DarkBlueAce's Shop    
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    digibutter.nerr Forum Index -> General Discussion